Are you a "foodie"? Introduce yourself here!

For all those diabetics who are tired of tasteless, drab and generally unappealing recipes aimed at us. I’m taking a stand–who wants to join me? Post your healthy, but TASTY recipes that you love!

Please check out the web site hungrygirl.com. She also has a cookbook. I have posted in two places already, but this seems to be the appropriate spot. This site has tons of lower-fat, lower-calorie, lower-carb versions of desserts, restaurant food, fast food favorites, modified junk food, etc. If you have a craving for a forbidden food, hungrygirl modifies it. A dessert that would normally be 160 carbs may be modified to 50 carbs. Note that all her recipes are not healthy food. But acceptable for splurges. Very tasty. I suppose there are some that find it acceptable to have chocolate chip pancakes, strawberry shortcake and taco salad every day, LOL. As hungrygirl states in her book “I am not a nutritionist, just hungry.” When you must have something forbidden and/or sweet, I think you will find a more acceptable version on her site. P.S. All nutritional information, carbs, fat, calories, etc. is listed for each recipe.

Has anyone tried a flourless chocolate ganache cake using part or all splenda?

I’ve got some nice recipes on my blog… http://www.type1mum.com

Anyone have a really great tasting and healthy smoothie recipe? We are having an after hours Smoothie tasting next month. My co-workers think I must have some healthy smoothie recipes. Help!! ; (

I had sag aloo and channa masala on a bed of basmati rice tonight. I know white basmati rice isn’t the best because it causes sugar spikes but I am proud of the fact that my meal had protein, veggies and carbs. For lunch, I had a homemade southwestern tofu burger. The burger mix had chopped fresh bell pepper. Another great vegan meal (100% better then Boca burgers. I even know a carnivore who likes them) with veggies, protein and carbs.

a really good salad from Fine Cooking Magazine is Almond Crusted Chicken with Nectarines in a Buttermilk Chive Dressing - here - I subscribe to this one, and the carb count is 31 gms.

I just made this delicious vegetable soup for lunch. It was really good, and has lots of nutrition packed ingredients. The carb count is 16 per cup, and it really fills you up! It can be made ahead, too. You could add some smoked sausage or leftover meats if you want.

I have been making homemade pestos lately for some of my sandwiches and pasta dishes. Tonight I made one where I included pine nuts before processing it. Sometimes I add walnuts. Because I am vegan, tricks like this add protein to my meals in a tasty way. If you have a lite meal otherwise, like veggies on a baguette, this type of pesto sauce will make a meal fulfilling without cholesterol.

This is one of my Fav,s, enjoy!

Shrimp Scampi and Tomatoes

Ingredients

1 lb Roma tomatoes; (2-3 tomatoes)
2 oz Maytag blue cheese
4-5 sprigs of basil; fresh
4 T. virgin olive oil
Dash cracked pepper
1 lb large fresh shrimp, raw, deveined
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 fresh limeÂ

Directions

Wash and slice tomatoes crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, 4-5 slices per tomato. Arrange 2-3 slices on each salad plate. Sprinkle the blue cheese on top each tomato. Cut fresh basil leaves into strips and top each tomato with basil. Drizzle olive oil over the tops and add a dash of pepper.

Shrimp preparation:

Combine the juice of the lime, oil, garlic, and pepper in a large bowl. Add shrimp and toss lightly to coat. Heat the grill on until hot. Place the shrimp on the grill and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn the shrimp. Place the shrimp on top of the tomato, basil, and Maytag blue cheese. Enjoy!

Who’s heading to TCOYD in Santa Rosa,CA next week? Stop by and say hello. I will be speaking their.

YAAAHHHH!

this recipe for Smoky Roasted Vegetables from the Washington Post is fabulous! only 22 gm carb. the spices are great. you can make ahead and freeze it too, and the Thai red curry with salmon (related recipe) is my favorite

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2011/02/16/smoky-roasted-vegetables/

this recipe for chicken breasts with artichokes is easy and really good. if you don't have the pasta with it, it's about 12 gm carb

http://www.marthastewart.com/337905/chicken-with-artichokes-and-angel-hair?czone=food/dinner-tonight-center/dinner-tonight-main-courses¢er=276948&gallery=275660&slide=283292

I tried that link for the chicken and artichokes recipe, and found that the version of the link here on TuDiabetes works, but the version sent out in email doesn't.

oops Robert, I don't know why that happened, hmmmm. glad you were able to get the recipe. It's from Martha Stewart's little magazine called "Everyday Food". I like it because the recipes are easy, seasonal, and they have the nutritionals listed.

I want to try making some smoothies but juice always makes my sugars sky high. I think I will try one and see what happens with some water, some greens, some juice and some fruit.

Sarah, some fruit juices should be worse than others for your situation. For example, orange juice usually comes with fairly large amounts of sugar mixed in to overcome the taste resulting from having machines squeeze the oranges without removing the peels first. It's harder to find the variety squeezed after the peels are removed, and more expensive.

If you can find juices from berries with no sugar added, they are likely to be a better choice.

You might also want to think about whether tomato juice would taste suitable with the other ingredients you use.

hope you all can join us for the chat with the celebrity chef, in about an hour and a half
http://www.tudiabetes.org/events/live-videochat-with-alejandra-schrader-celebrity-chef-and-top-10-

My favorite casserole from my blog

http://diabeticgoodcooking.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/sausage-and-soybeans-casserole.html