Do you go no-number to extend your G6 sensor life?

@Fred_E, I do that as well. @Dave44 for me started doing it that way. I did let it get a little tacky first though. I also use the bottle, it will last a super long time for very little money.
I get about 14 days normally. I got 21 days on the previous sensor though.

I go generally over 25 days with each sensor, so I apply more Skin Tac along the way.
They do get crudy around the edges, I got GrifGrips to place over them and the first ones worked great and then I decided to be allergic to the adhesive on the grif grips. I have allergies to a lot of adhesives, so itā€™s an issue with me.

I only use my phone, so maybe that is the issue.

So the reader isnā€™t on? If the reader isnā€™t on, I donā€™t think itā€™s an issue.
But I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever restarted one on my phone.
(I know some people hide it in the microwave so it canā€™t interfere)

I have been able to restart my sensor onetime but that is all. They are so expensive I canā€™t keep paying $130.00 every 10 days.
What am I doing wrong? Please help.

@Linda5
Let me know if you are having a particular problem as someone on here probably has an answer.

I waited for the current 10 day session to expire before trying to restart.

1. Let your sensor expire.

2. Start a new sensor session and choose ā€œno codeā€. You do not need to remove the transmitter.

3. Let the warm-up session start and run for about 15 minutes. I set a timer on my phone. Do not let it run longer than about 20-25 minutes, set a timer!

4. After 15 minutes, STOP sensor.

5. Start another new sensor and enter your existing sensors code

6. The sensor will warm-up for two hours and start giving readings after 2 hours

I have found that if my phone, which has the ap and my reader are both on when I restart my sensor, it will figure out I am restarting a sensor and stop. If you goof or it doesnā€™t work you can do the process from the beginning all over again. I power off my phone or power off my reader during this process.

This only works on the old style transmitters 80 or 81 series, which Dexcom is switching to an 8G transmitter number on which restarting wonā€™t work. Hopefully someone figures out a way to restart those soon as I like the sensors that stay on longer better.

The person who wrote " Restarting Dexcom G6 sensors ā€“ Updated ā€“ See My CGM " hasnā€™t updated that page with info on the newest (8G) transmitters, so Iā€™m thinking that a fix hasnā€™t yet been found. There is so much confusion about this on the FB Dexcom G6 group, itā€™s hard to keep track of it all.

2 Likes

The easiest way by far is to end your session, pop out the sensor and then start a new session and pop it back in. There are a few videos on the internet on how to do this. All you need is a test strip and push it in where the sensor pops in. Heck I was able to pop it out when it was attached to the back of my arm and I have very poor flexibility!

But what about when you have an ā€œ8Gā€ transmitter? Then what?

1 Like

I was thinking same, but donā€™t have 8G yet.

Hope someone with 8G can confirm whether removing trans works or not.

2 Likes

I tried that a few months ago and with an 80 series transmitter, and indeed it worked. But the 8G transmitter looks at the signal when you start a session to see if itā€™s changing rapidly, as it would in a new site, or well equilibrated, as is the in case with a restart. If thatā€™s accurate, and I believe it is, it doesnā€™t matter how you stop or restart a session (software or remove the transmitter) success depends on how long the sensor has been in place when you hit the ā€˜start sensorā€™ button.

1 Like

Ok, with the 8G transmitters, do they actually work better with the first 24 hours than the older series transmitters?

I sure hope so. That would be great. I donā€™t have any direct experience yet.

I think this was referred to as the new trauma check.

But have not heard confirmation yet if this works with 8G transmitter.

The sure way around ā€œno restartsā€: Bluetooth Unpaired method

The only way for sure around this trauma check that I have found on both new and old transmitters alike is to use the old Option 2 method from my original post. Letā€™s call it the ā€œBluetooth Unpairedā€ method from now on.

HUGE IMPORTANT POINT: You must start and finish this process before your current sensor session is scheduled to end. In other words, if you see you have 2 hours left on your session, youā€™re too late.

1 Like

Thanks, ill try again. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong. I do use a faraway bag because I just use my pump to read BS.

So you donā€™t put it in the microwave or anything? Are you using a T slim pump? I was able to get my sensors cheaper at Samā€™s but itā€™s still crazy expensive.

@Linda5 This on a transmitter I have restarted sensors before. It didnā€™t work! I have restarted many and I have a feeling the last update??? from Dexcom did something so it recognizes restarts somehow?

I experimented with the new transmitter instructions for the 8G, but I am not sure I did it right as it didnā€™t exactly match what the last person did as she had a tandem. On top of that my sensor was of course expired because I was restarting it as I normally do. I am in a waiting period right now to know.

There is more information on restarting the new sensors and now maybe the old on

@Paytoneā€¦

Do you have an article or publication describing this ā€œinsertion traumaā€ algorithm?

Iā€™m not buying itā€¦have two back to back restarts on a 8G transmitterā€¦yepā€¦one sensorā€¦thirty daysā€¦just did a finger stickā€¦BG meter was 63 CGM was 65. Thatā€™s very good agreement!!

1 Like

Dexcom obviously isnā€™t going to publish something about this, but there are many first-hand accounts here and elsewhere. Hereā€™s a topic about this. Might want to consider sharing your experience there. There are a lot of people looking for ways around this. Maybe youā€™ve found something.

Sorry - saw you already were there before I replied.