How to restart Dexcom G6 sensors

I am finally being forced onto G6, my pump dex supply wrote a note on my G5 transmitter that just shipped that it isn’t available anymore.

So depending on how long it takes to get the ball rolling I will have some time to build up a store of G6 sensors but I still want to learn how to restart. Can someone post or link simple instructions on how to do that?

I am not looking forward to this, especially having to leave sensors on for longer than 7 days due to all my irritations. I did go back to duoderm as well as a steroid ointment and benadryl cream under the duoderm which seems to be helping however the duoderm seems to peel up much more quickly.

And my last question, is there anywhere to buy a brand new g5 other than dexcom for a lower price so I can use up all my g4/5sensors? I have a lot due to having worn them in the past for 30 days even though I switched to wearing them for 7 days only with all the reactions.

The ones on Amazon that are not new but reconfigured I guess are still very expensive, have no guarantee and they have terrible reviews.

Dexcom stopped supplying them in June, so you might call around to DME and pharmacy to see if any in stock still.

Or get the battery replaced in your expired one.

Here is link for G6 restart.

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/t/g6-restart-is-possible/

2 Likes

If you need help removing the transmitter, on that same link about 2/3rds down I posted a couple that show more about removal of a transmitter. Line 47 The first time it isn’t always easy until you get the hang of it.

I had a hard time using the bg strip, but found that a metal hair clip worked better. I also practiced a few times once I had a used sensor, not attached to body.

3 Likes

I don’t want to learn how to do this either, @meee. But, if your learning, I’ll learn. Its time, I suppose. My sensor accuracy is good enough that I feel comfortable trying.

1 Like
  1. Stop your sensor session, or wait until it’s expired and stops on it’s own.
  2. Remove transmitter, as explained above.
  3. Go ahead and wipe the electrodes (metal dots) in both the exposed sensor and the transmitter with alcohol and let it dry while waiting.
  4. Set timer for at least 15 minutes, I set it for 16 to be safe.
  5. After timer elapsed, reinsert the transmitter.
  6. Start new sensor session. If you happen to know your sensor code, enter it. (Those of us who restart sensors save the code. I take a picture of the lot number on the box and the paper sensor code every time I insert a new sensor.) If you don’t have the code anymore, that’s okay. Don’t assume it’s the same as any other in your box. Just tap the “no code” option during the startup. Without the code, you’ll be prompted to calibrate twice immediately at sensor start, and then twice a day thereafter, just like with the G5 system, but it’s better than not having CGM data.
  7. If you were able to start it using the sensor code, it will probably reas really high at first. Go ahead and calibrate right away. Because it reads high, it’s best to aim to have your sugar around 100mg/dl when the sensor warmup expires, because they’re prone to errors if you try to make too big of a calibration or try to calibrate while out of range.
1 Like

That’s the funny thing right? A brand new sensor wants to read low and a restarted sensor wants to read high!

1 Like

Okay I have watched the YouTube clips and read Robyn’s post above and as far as I can tell I am doing everything right, BUT, after the reinsertion warmup period the sensor starts up okay but they never last more than about 1 day, after that I get a sensor failure and that’s it! I’ve had the same experience 3 or 4 times now so I wish I knew how you guys were getting it to work!

Unfortunately, you’re not doing anything wrong. You got it to restart just fine. End of sensor life isn’t the same as a failed restart. If you failed a restart, you’d know within the first 2 hours.

Many people report not being able to get a full ten days of wear out of a sensor, let alone 20, 30, 40, etc… I STRONGLY suspect that the flatter you can maintain your graph, the longer the sensors last. I’m sure there’s a bio-compatibility element, too, but for the most part I blame sugar swings in short sensor life. I know I’ve seen it in myself. I had shorter life in the very beginning when I didn’t know how crazy was my BG was, and I still occasionally get short life when I’ve been sick or made stupid mistakes.

1 Like

When you started 2nd session, did you enter code, or do no code ?

I tend to do no code, since the sensor isn’t same quality as it was as original start. More work to enter calibrations, but most of my restarts last 10 days or more.

Really though it is in there it is wet and operating nicely, a restart should just pick up where it left off.
I tried restarting twice on my new system. The first time I got an extra 2 days the second time I got 4 days and I got a sensor error at one point.
When you get a sensor error just calibrate it and it will come back pretty fast.
I pretty much gave up restarting them because it’s just easier to start a new one, but it is certainly doable.

I think you’re right about lifetime correlating with BG, but for me it correlates with mean BG over the session more than ups and downs. Even so, most sessions my average BG hovers around 100-105 with a 20-25% RSD and I only get between than 8-13 days out of a sensor. I no longer routinely restart because for a few extra days it’s not worth it. My endo wrote my script for 4 boxes/90 days so I won’t run out. I’m jealous of those who can get 20+ days from a sensor.

@Timothy aww see, I think it’s easier restarting them than having to put on a new one~!!! Between switching out a pod every 3 days and a sensor expiring it’s a pain. Worth it, but a pain. But I totally get if you were going through the restart process within 2 days of restarting it why it might not be worth it. Although building up a back up supply to me was important originally.

And I like the consistency I get from a restarted sensor. A new one I don’t know what to expect and have to check it more. Is it behaving? Is it one that keeps wanting to be more off and needs more calibration? But a restarted one, for me is usually pretty consistent as long as it was consistent in the first place. Mine seem to really like to go about 25 days. But some do go longer and some shorter.

It’s still a mystery why some people get them to last longer than others.

Edit to add; I just took off my last sensor at 35 days, it started to show the signs at 34 days though by needing calibration, at day 33 I checked it before I snorkeled and it was spot on.

1 Like

I don’t know how you keep anything in your body that long.
My sensors start to itch after 10 days.
And it peels up and becomes impossible. Longest I could stand was 15 days and I ended up taking it off even though it was still working. However I exercise a lot and I think I just sweat them off at some point nothing will keep it on.

@Timothy I apply Skin Tac when I first put it on and when it starts to come up I apply more Skin Tac with a Qtip on my skin and the underside area of the adhesive. I use a Qtip as it keeps the Skin Tac where I actually want it.

I live in a really high humid area and I snorkel twice a week. The thing that makes it curl up the most is when I wash my hair, I have long hair and I think the shampoo/conditioner loosens it up the most.

Thanks for all the interesting replies - my sensor (new) gave up 2 days early today so I decided to try re-using it. Stopped the sensor via receiver, removed it and cleaned terminals, waited 30 mins then reinserted it but this time I did not enter serial number. Waited about 40 mins when I got a message I haven’t seen before warning me that I could not re-use a single use sensor and the pdm screen switched to the one demanding that i use another sensor.

I decided to try again but this time after removing sensor I put it in the micrwave for 30 mins so it could not communicate with the receiver, then reinserted it like a new one using the correct serial number, waited for the 2 hours after which it burst into life!! That was an hour ago and so far everything is fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting. First time I’ve heard this message.
Maybe they are making transmitters smarter, what is first 2 digits of your transmitter ?

I will be getting a new transmitter soon.

1 Like

The first 2 digits are 8G BUT after I got the sensor working the readings started off okay but within a few hours they were miles out and eventually it came up with the dreaded “senor error” message!

I don’t think I am going to persist with this any more. I lose so many hours of warmup time with no readings it’s just not worth it but good luck to those that get it to work okay!

1 Like

@macrobert I don’t blame you, what a pain. But for future information just in case. Whenever they start off close to accurate they usually go wonky after a few hours. And just in case you calibrated it more than once in say 2 or 3 hours you get the sensor error message. It’s usually best to wait for a second calibration several hours later or the next morning. Plus if you have more than one device reading it, like a phone and the reader, it’s better to have one turned completely off when you calibrate.

But I don’t blame you, it’s been a pain for you!!!

I’ve never turned off one during calibrate. How does this help? Now using tandem as receiver and calibrate from pump, while phone is still active. No problems.