Do you log?

Do you log, and if so, what method do you use?

I wear an insulin pump and I would like to be able to print out my CGM graphs and know what food caused that spike, or know if I skipped a meal to cause that low, etc. Just curious what everyone else likes to do ...

Thanks in advance!

~Shannon

I used to print the Carelink data out and fax them to the doc but "punted" and gave her my password. Like the training goes, I use the charts to ID where changes are lurking, lots of lows or highs regularly, at a particular time and I'll adjust something. It would probably be more useful to do a more comprehensive survey and include food and exercise data, notes about stress and other interesting influences but I am much too lazy for that. [note: I typed this this AM but just hit "add reply" now!]

http://www.medtronicdiabetes.ca/en/carelink_software.html this is what I use in Canada.I can sent reports to my Pump Nurse via e-mail .My Veo Pump ( I think same as Revel in US) allows for more detailed information besides logging it into the CareLink program .. I have to admit ...as Acid noted as well ...sometimes too lazy or have other things on my mind .I also keep some written notes in my daily journal for easy reference .PS Hope the .ca link is useful

Is this useful? ...I copied and pasted from my MM file , received last year and I have NO clue what it means ,because we don't use a Mac ha, ha :
We are excited to announce that you can now access Medtronic CareLink® Personal with your Mac computer*.
Medtronic CareLink Personal is now compatible with the following Mac operating systems:
Mac OS 10.5/Leopard (32-bit)
Mac OS 10.6/Snow Leopard (32-bit)
We now also support Safari web-browsers versions 4 and 5.
Medtronic CareLink Personal enables you to upload your insulin pump, continuous glucose monitoring device and blood glucose meter to a free web based program, allowing you to better understand your glucose control and uncover patterns.
Get Started Now
*Please Note: Apple is preparing to launch their newest operating system, 10.7/Lion. Medtronic CareLink Personal is not yet approved for use with Mac OS 10.7/Lion. Upgrading to Mac OS 10.7 will prevent the use of the Medtronic CareLink Personal site, and due to Apple Software design, the Mac OS 10.7 software upgrade cannot be reversed. We are currently working on a version of Medtronic CareLink Personal that is compatible with Mac OS 10.7, which will be available soon.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Medtronic of Canada Ltd. , 99 Hereford Street Brampton, ON, L6Y 0R3

I use a small notebook of graph paper and use a page each day to write down everything in time order, like this example:

I can flip back and forth and instantly see what I did (or didn't do) in previous days. I find all the repetitive tasks almost impossible to keep track of without writing it all down. My notebook is a little bit bigger than a paperback book. If I'm going out and don't want to lug it, I'll just take a folded sheet of paper with me and transfer everything to the log that night or the next morning. I use double-circles to signify BG readings and double-squares to signify insulin injections -- that way these values will jump out at me as I'm scanning the log. I'll use color and/or stars to highlight changes to my insulin doses or to my I:C ratio.

That's a great example, LaGuitariste! Thanks for sharing.

I've not always been a good logger but I had to start in a committed way when my control began slipping due to old lady hormones. I find it invaluable now and it has become part of my daily routine. I log with paper and pen using a small 5 1/2" x 4" spiral notebook (small enough to fit easily in a purse). I keep it on my desk at work, right next to my OmniPod PDM (which I use as my meter also).

My log format is similar to LaGuitariste except that I also make notations of things related to my Dexcom cgm or OmniPod pod changes. I make notations like "new Dex sensor start" or "Dex ??? - restarted sensor" or "Pod change".

I include meter readings, grams of carb, what I ate and breakdown of insulin bolus - carb, correction and total. If I go low, I make a notation if I was shopping or exercising. I also note hormone related symptoms like hot flashes because that affects my blood sugar also. You could also make menstrual cycle notations.

I use the Dexcom and OmniPod software and print out the reports, which are helpful, but I find it easier to see "why" something happened by looking at the details in my paper log.

I live in GA. Logging was the worst part of keeping up with my sugars. I never did it as a kid and would log maybe two weeks worth before any upcoming doctor's appointments.
Now I've gotten much better, thanks to an app on my phone. I have an Android-based phone and use an app called OnTrack. I've discovered more that I can do with it just recently, although I can't customize EVERYTHING in it. I can highlight each bg as either low, high, or in range, which is great to see at a glance about how much time I spend in range. You can back up readings to your phone or email them to yourself or your doc at any time.
I don't have a Dexcom yet (hoping for one soon) and I'm not on a pump--still doing MDI. But this works for me now for two reasons: 1. I always have my phone with me and don't have to carry anything extra (logbook) 2. Every time I look at something on my phone (which is like, 1,000 a day), I see the little app on my homescreen and it reminds me to check my sugar.

But good luck finding something that works for you! Keep trying different ways. I like the saying "your diabetes will vary" because it is so true.

Thanks, KCOO -- I can definitely relate to the logging for 2 weeks prior to your dr's appt. That's always been me, too. Up until a few years ago when I just stopped logging all together. :/

I don't log and don't even use Carelink. When I see my endo, they take my pump and download the last two weeks of data (I think they use something called Carelink Pro, which is much more detailed than the online version for patients) and plot it out in all sorts of neat graphs and charts and stuff. Next time I go, I'll ask for a copy and share it with you, provided it's not too embarrassing!

Not that I advocate doing what I do... not in the least. LaGuitariste does it right, but I can't honestly see myself making four separate entries inside of 15 minutes :)

Yes, it's the "why" that I rely on my log to help answer. I also note things like illness/fever, forgotten medications, female stuff, long shopping trips (IKEA can be four hours of noodling around on my feet for me!!!), panic attacks, naps, etc.

Well, I do my "morning set" like a weight lifter logging sets and reps. I just sit at my desk and log my sleep, take my Synthroid, test, correct and do my morning Levemir all in one go, while I'm also checking my e-mail, voicemail and the weather forecast on-line. It's a little routine.

I couldn't keep up that kind of detail all day!!!

CARELINK, Everything electronic. My CDE uses a different version of CARELINK to read my data. Logging has never been a priority for me with pen and paper. THE CGM results shown in a graph is very useful, and the ease of obtaining that printed data encourages me to always try harder to do better.
Best of luck!
Jed