Do you wear a medical id?

Do you wear a medical id?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Yes. I’ve worn one since I was a kid.

It lists four potentially life-threatening conditions, that I wear an insulin pump and carry an EpiPen, and has a number to call to access a list of less serious conditions, current medications, doctors’ information, and emergency contacts.

I may never need it, but I feel much safer wearing it.

1 Like

I have found that the social costs of someone finding out that I’m a type 1 diabetic are so great in terms of the discrimination and social ostracizing I suffer that the safety a medical ID would provide is simply not worth it.

I do not wear jewelry at all, so I thought of getting a “diabetic” tatoo, but I have not gotten around to it yet.

2 Likes

I have seen some very cool diabetes tattoos!

5 Likes

I have felt the same way. Never worn one in 32 years.

I wore one for many years. My parents made me and when you are a kid, you do what your parents tell you. I stopped after having a very serious car accident and when I came to, I had to tell the paramedics that I had diabetes. They never looked at my bracelet. So I gave up. But once I had children of my own, I put one back on. I am now just responsible for me but my family. So it’s always on. Never had anyone ask about it. I get asked about the Dexcom sensor and the pump all the time but not my bracelet.

1 Like

Never did for my first 30 years, but I got a bracelet one for traveling abroad back in 2015. I wore it for a year or so, then um, lost track of it somewhere. So currently it’s a “no.”

I’ve read several times that it’s actually unusual for EMTs or other emergency med people to even take note of them. Dunno if there’s any data on that.

2 Likes

I’ve worn them on and off over the years. My last one broke, and I just haven’t found a good replacement for it.

Edit: worn, not run

I wear a medic alert necklace and keep a card in my wallet so it is seen as soon as it is opened. An EMT / LEO may not see it, or they may - if they do - it will give you precious extra minutes for them to make a treatment decision like a glucagon or similar versus thinking you are passed out drunk or something. I just can’t see a downside even if the odds are only 25% them seeing it.

1 Like

I can’t stand jewelry (other than a watch), so “no” I don’t wear ID. Having said that, when I’m traveling across country on a plane, I will wear a diabetic tag that is on a neck chain. that bothers me too, which is why that’s the only time I wear it.

1 Like

Yes, I have a medic alert stainless steel stretch band bracelet. Was in a hurry yesterday to get to the ent and I forgot to put any of my jewelry on. I started wearing the id after diagnosis and also had other medical info on it some of which I still have now.

1 Like

I wear a dog tag with medical and my daughters contacts info.
I was told originally to wear it when they first diagnosed me because they weren’t sure what was happening.

Now that I am off drugs I don’t seem to have a problem with lows.

So now the dog tag does not include the medical emergency symbol but. Does include T2 and Health plan.

I use it more for identification, just Incase I get in accident they have my daughters contact information and health plan contact. Once i was mugged had my phone and wallet stolen, i realized with out ID unless i could talk no one would know who i was.

Unfortunately most doctors etc. want to give T2 more carbs as a solution to everything.

Being x military I have no problem wearing a dog tag type ID.
AmericanmedicaID.com has a dog style type that has a USB drive built in it. It’s not water proof. But you can down load your complete medical record to it.

I answered NO. As others, I don’t wear anything (except clothes). Used to wear watch until cell phone and dexcom which give me time when desired. However, I will wear a bracelet when I travel or work away from common location - just in case.

I’ve worn various bracelets with my conditions on them since 1999. In 2017, I got a blue crescent moon on my inner left forearm that says T1D & LUPUS. Medical personnel always check the left arm for BP/Pulse etc where I live. In a years time more people have seen my tattoo than they have my Pump, DEX or knee brace. :joy:. And, that ink has more than paid for itself with the number of bracelets I’ve lost, broke or worn the lettering off of.

1 Like

I’ve had a MedicAlert bracelet since I was diagnosed T1 in 1986. I think that it is worth the trouble, as I have a pump and am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs (the back-up drug that they give you when they know that you are allergic to penicillin). MedicAlert also has my medical and family emergency contact information.

I work in security, and have been told by most CPR/first-aid trainers that first responders are trained to look for medical ID bracelets and necklaces, though they don’t always. Most of the CPR/first-aid classes that I have had to take for work advise the security personnel in the class to look for medical ID.

I figure that if you have it, and they look for it, they will have important informationthat could save your life. Whereas if they look for it, and you don’t have it, their lack of knowledge could kill you, or at least harm you.

1 Like

Being X miltary doesn’t reduce how uncomfortable I am wearing jewerly. I just don’t like the feel of metal objects on or around me, with the exception of a watch. I can’t stand wedding rings, bracelets, dog tags, or necklaces.

I’ve warn a necklace for year. I recently started wearing a wrist ban. I’ve passed out more than a couple of

Do you still have a driver’s license?