Do you wear diabetic id?

Just want to get an idea of how many diabetics actually wear diabetic id. I have never in my life worn any sort of bracelet or necklace and am not really fond of advertising to everyone that I have a medical problem.
Do you wear medical id?
Will a wallet card suffice?
Any suggestions or websites to get id?
Cheers,
Mike

no. hate to say it. I do have a wallet card though. In my opinion, I carry so many diabetic supplies, someone can assume I’m diabetic. Also, I tell people around me that I’m diabetic.

YES!! I have worn one for years. As a girl, it is a pain (tops, you know), but I am terrified of being “whatever” (low, accident, etc.) and not alerting folks. I know about ICE on cells, but can you trust it? I would rather wear the steel around my neck.

I got this metal guitar pick one from Lauren’s Hope that I like a lot. It is functional (i.e. I can play guitar with it if I want…) and it looks cool enough. I replaced the chain with one of solid stainess links that was like $2.99 online and had a local jewelry store weld a loop so it hangs nicely. It looks studly so I don’t mind it at all. It just has MrsAcidRock’s phone number on it.

Oddly enough, during all my crazy years, the EMTs seemed pretty quick to catch on when I keeled over. Lately, I only keel over at family events too.

Hi Mike…you might want to research past discussions…there has been a lot of conversation about this with links to sites offering medical alert jewelry.

I try to remember to wear a necklace when I am going to be alone out in the world…traveling or even walking the dog. I still feel my lows so am not as vigilant as I might be. Like you, I am not eager to advertise. There are a number of people that have medic alert bracelet tattoes. I think that is an extremely cool idea, but again, not me. I used to have a card in my wallet, but it fell out long ago and I have not replaced it (but I know I should.)

A wallet card does not suffice.
Go for a sports band to wear next to your watch. They last forever, wash in the shower.
Cut it to your size, hold a flame thrower to it to melt the strands and you have something for life for the cheapest you can get. For the metal piece, use the word “insulin”, the word “diabetes”, the word “contact”, and the first name & cellphone of your contact.
I run out with the dog too often to depend on a wallet card. Or I run around the block to get to someone who’s called me. Or I run to the library. All places I might or might not take my wallet. And yes, I wear it cause it’s never off me. I’m the kind who wants simple.
I think these things depend on what you want. All sorts of sites out there. And DO get one that you’ll keep on.

I do not wear one, but have been looking for something that’s not to flashy, but has some style.

I wear a dogtag. Very stylish.

I wear a dog tag which on which is the membership number of Next of Kin - which is an internationally known organisation which emergency services can ring and receive important points of my medical condition such as blood type, medications I am on, allergies to drugs and other things, who to ring in an emergency …

I found this dog tag rather ugly (for a lady who likes to dress nicely) so my sister and I designed one, with all the info that was on the old one, on once side, and has the international medical symbol on the other (snake and staff). She made it out of silver with a pretty chain. I know that you are a man, but there are chains out there that will suit you too.

There are all kinds of id out there and most are very discreet - wrist bands that look like a leather bracelet, with a small plaque - and most of them the writing is so small and on the INSIDE of the plaque on which only the medical symbol is visible. You just need to look around.

The only problem I have with having one in my wallet - and I do - is, what if your wallet gets stolen or if you are in a car crash or explosion you are likely to be separated from your clothes and wallet from the force and they may not find it.

Universal medical ID is a good one with lots of styles, but easiest way is to type in Medical ID in your search bar and trawl through the ones it suggests to see if there is anything that will take your fancy.

I think medical id is essential as doctors and paramedics are trained to look for some form of id at the pulse points, ie wrists, ankles, neck at the same time as looking for signs of life (or lack of!). Information given on them can save vital minutes and seconds, prevent inappropriate treatment - some might think that a diabetic coma is just drunkenness - as ketones can smell like alcohol, a hypo coming off drugs or again drunkenness or if they do find a condition that they need to treat and you are allergic to something, then they can use an alternative drug or something. ID can literally mean the difference between life and death!

After wearing a bracelet for 20+ years, I finally removed it a few weeks ago. All of a sudden I couldn’t stand the look of the thing, or what it signified, and I confess it felt great to ditch it. That said, I do wear a pump (a biggish hint, I would think), and I have a medical ID tag on my bike helmet. My paramedic friend says that blood sugar checks are automatic when someone is unconscious, as is the search for a cell phone ICE number.

Good point!

I wear a keychain on the belt loop of my jeans.
I don’t like having any kind of jewelery on me but this thing doesn’t bother me.

It’s not so much the fea of going low in public. I know I’m able to help myself.
It’s more that I came to the realization that something else (like accidents) could happen. I might be alright blood sugar-wise at this time but it’s not calming to know that there is a chance that doctors wil be able to know about my condition even if I’m unconscious.

While being in the UK, I’ve been wearing a necklace.

I have a couple of the standard Medic Alert bracelets, the “sport” version, and a Road ID (I don’t wear them all at once, though :slight_smile: Since I do a lot of things by myself (I live alone and frequently travel alone), I thought it would be a good idea to get them.

I carry a sheet of paper in my walet with all my medical information; doctors with phone numbers and all prescriptions and doses. this also helps everytime you go to the doctor and and they want to know all your meds. I often let them make a copy for my file.

I have this one: http://www.stickyj.com/ef1001.html

cool, thanks.

That’s a great site, Med. Thanks for the link.
Mike, one thing I remember from past discussion is the possibility of EMTs missing it if your bracelet looks too much like mainstream jewelry. I guess the goal would be to find that happy medium.

Another possibility is http://www.medicalert.org/. I wear a bracelet from them all the time, which mentions 3 of my medical conditions, including Diabetes Type 1. They have a number of jewelry options; some day I’m going to get their watch. (I think this is the ID Tim wrote about earlier.) They included a wallet card with my bracelet. I think it is important to wear some good medical ID since you never know when you might really need it.

I do not. (I did as a child. My parents still want me to (I’m 25 and haven’t lived with them since I was 18). They actually purchased a necklace for me when I was about 21 but I don’t wear it.) I too don’t feel like advertising my diabetes to everyone.

Got a necklace, not a real fan of it, plan on replacing it with a D tattoo in a few months.