Does peanut butter raise your blood sugar?

Until recently, I thought that peanut butter had no effect (or very little) on my blood sugar. The nutrition label says for every tablespoon of peanut butter, there are about 2 grams of carb, 3 grams of fat and 1 gram of protein. I've been eating peanut butter almost daily, and not really thinking it was affecting my sugar, but I think I was wrong.

Does peanut butter increase anyone else's blood sugar?

Thanks for your reply. So I guess I was wrong about peanut butter being a sort of “free food” ) :

It does for me also. I buy the natural pb. It has less sugar and I drain some of the oil off the top.

I think that’s right–that peanut butter causes a slow rise (or in my case, very slow rise). I’ve been eating it as if it were totally carb-free. Because it didn’t spike my blood sugar, I thought nothing was happening at all.

I would eat PB at 5:30 pm, be fine at 6:30 pm and 8:00 pm, then higher at 10:00 pm and still higher the next morning (even with a correction bolus at bedtime). I guess the PB is causing a slow rise in my blood sugar?

1 Like

it doesn’t for me but as always YMMV Your Mileage May Vary

I eat other nut butters such as almond, hazlenut, cashew and macademia and I bolus for the 3 carbs per tablespoon on the jars, but my tablespoons are usually very, shall we say, generous and I do fine with it. Be careful that you are not buying the peanut butter which has sugar in it.

I would be sure and test after, Shawna, as peanut butter has lots of fat which would make it very slow to raise blood sugar.

Big difference among peanut butters:Skippy Natural = 2T has 6 gm carb with 2 of that fiber.
Jif Reduced Fat = 2T has 15 gm carb with 1 fiber.
When I made it myself, without sugar, it was not tasty. None of us ate it.
I consider it a great food and bolus for 8 gm since my 2T are always 4T sizes.

I meant as she mentioned using it for lows, I don’t think it would be quick enough due to the fat content.

1 Like

It does not affect BG much for me, and thus it is a “free” food for me (in moderation - as in a tablespoon or 2). YDMV.

Not at all. I have a tablespoon a nite for a snack and no rise at all.

It must somewhat because I eat some to prevent a continuing low.

There really are no “free foods” for me personally, even sugar free Jello raises my blood sugar but I think everyone reacts to foods differently so you just have to eat and test to know how different foods affect you. The same food can have totally different affects on different days…diabetes is such a guessing game!!

I buy a totally natural, organic PB that contains only roasted peanuts and salt. It’s absolutely scrumptious. Really, no need for sugar. The label says 3 g carb per Tbsp, but I, too, experience a slow rise from it, much more than I’d expect from a mere 3 g. But I find this happens a lot–a label or carb-counting book disagreeing with my body.

Greetings from the peanut butter addict. Yes, I eat peanut butter at least once a day, only a little less than a Tablespoon, and I haven’t noticed any rises in my bs’s. Maybe it’s the type of peanut butter that I’m using, it’s a plain label, only 1 gram of carb and 2 of fat, and 1 gram of protein. My CDE told me that peanut butter, all things considered is a good source of protein for me, in a very small amount of carbs. But a T is enough for one day. So I use it in the AM on my WG (whole grain) toast and no more for the day. It’s too bad you can’t experiment with different peanut butters without buying the whole jar. But I guess writing the companies, getting opinions here would be the next best thing.

My dear, everything raises BG to some extent — except water! There are thungs out there, like lettuce and other good things like that, that don’t raise BG very much. Sorry to tell you this. SSSSSiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhh!

Lois

Rich: I am really surprised at your response but, first, let me ask this. Were you prone to a morning low? Why do you do the PB at night? Did you stay awake all night long and test very frequently to determine when you rose and when you ebbed? You see, there are ways that our bodies rrespond to foods that would look like it’s not affecting you. Maybe you were in for a small low just as the PB was kicking in because all the books I have seen indicate a level of carbs. I hope that you do some more research to find the truth about carb-free foods. Some foods are so low in carbs that some consider them “free” foods.

Lois

I eat it daily, and it seems to have a very minimal impact to no impact on my blood sugar. That being said, I buy a type that is just ground peanuts and salt, and I eat a pretty small amount, definitely less than 2 tablespoons. It is basically the same as just eating a small amount of peanuts for me.

I find that whenever I eat something high fat, everything else that comes later in slowed down by the fat content , and I get a spike later, due to that. For example, the other night I ate lamb, and got a rise 7 hours later, which I don’t think was from the actually from the lamb but from some carbs I ate a few hours later, whose absorption was slowed down by the lamb. BTW, I never would have known this had it not been for my CGM.

What is in the Peanut butter you are buying HFXNS?

Only 1 gram of protein? That seems off for peanut butter. Even the carbs seem off. But those labels aren’t always correct. Almost all the peanut butter labels I have looked at their is at least 7 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons. I only buy the unsweetened natural kind though.

Make sure you get PURE peanut butter - no sugar in it. Make sure it is unsweetned and doesn’t have a bunch of unneccessary crap in it. Sometimes those “added” ingredients which companies use as fillers to cheapen their products could have a unwanted effect on BGs and give you less protein or fiber in each serving because you get more fillers than real peanut butter. If you are avoiding salt, get the unsalted. You can always add a bit of salt later to flavor it.

It’s just a question. No need to be an a–hole.