Dr. B's menu ideas

Have been a T1 for 40+ years, need to lose some weight and change my eating habits, have ordered Dr.B's 2 books, waiting for there arrival. For those of you that are practising Dr. B's methods would you be willing to share your menu ideas? Looking for lots of ideas and details about what you eat. If you could share your top 6 meal ideas that would be great. I am willing to change the way I eat but am also looking for it to be somewhat convenient!! Thanks Ray

Breakfast: Bacon or sausage with eggs, or low carb waffles.
Lunch: Leftovers from previous nights meal or salad with meat and cheese.
Dinner: Meat and low carb veggies with a salad. Low carb = broccoli, cauliflower, squash, limited quantities of tomatoes and peppers etc.x. Or meat cheese salad again.
Snacks: Lately I've been having blueberries and nuts.

I've been smoking a big batch of meat on the weekends lately and have various types of BBQ and coleslaw for many meals during the week.

Look through old posts in this group for menu ideas also the low carb recipe groups on tuD. There are also lots of low carb recipe websites on the web, no need to feel deprived or bored.

While it's not for everyone, I've just passed my 3rd year low carbing and have no problem sticking to the diet, although I'm a little looser and go up as high as 50g carbs per day.

Thanks for the info, I will have a look for the low card recipe group.

Dr. B's diet book is not that great, btw. I buy a huge chunk of Jarlsberg Cheese at Costco, package it up into portion sizes, wrap it in plastic wrap, and put all the individual wrapped chunks into a storage bag. I put parchment paper on a plate and either slice the cheese very thinly or use a rotary cheese grater. I nuke the cheese for 1-2 min. depending on how much cheese. Watch closely at first. Cool before eating.

Everyday, I eat at least one flaxmeal muffin in a minute (MIM at Atkins). I use organic golden flaxmeal and Truvia for the best taste. I spread organic peanut butter or almond butter for a meal.

Eggs - I make crustless quiche for my family using asparagus, peppers, green onions/scallions in moderation, cream or sour cream or bits of brocolli/other low carb vegetable - mushrooms are good. I start it out on top of the stove and finish far away from the broiler. Top with a good dusting of Asiago cheese. If I have few vegetables inside the quiche, I will top with some cubes of avocado.

I always keep washed Romaine lettuce, a daikon radish, organic celery, fresh mushrooms, cauliflower, organic cumcumber, and things like zuchhini and yellow squash. Celery and Romaine keep well in aluminum foil. I make my own dressing by using either lemon juice or real cider vinegar, a little water, packet of Truvia, a spoonful of organic vegetable seasoning, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Let the seasonings sit for a minute in the liquid before adding oil.

I top salad with shaved almond pieces, Asiago cheese grated. The lower my bg, the harder I have exercised, the more salad I can eat.

My newest discovery has been to slice zuchinni into sticks, put a glob of Pub Cheese from Trader Joes's on a plate, and munch.

I keep tins of tiny shrimp, wild tuna, and wild salmon for emergency lunches. I used to use FAGE plain yogurt, but they added another carb or two. Life is not perfect, and this is quick in an emergency.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts and pork chops defrost fast. Sliced mushrooms sauteed in butter. You can soak chicken in lemon juice and top with oregano. Add dry wine to pan juices.

Use cast iron to have versitility on top of the stove or in the oven.

Italian sausage from my farmer, Applegate farm hot dogs grilled in the cast iron with a drop of oil, then stuffed with cheese.

I make a lot of creamed soups - brocolli, mushroom, cauliflower. asparagus using shallots, garlic, and leeks. Chervil and nutmeg in the cauliflower...or fine herbs. Creme Fraiche from Trader Joe's is a treat, but ordinary organic heavy cream without carrageenen is ok. You can make cream of chicken soup...

I make mashed potatoes out of celeriac root.

I am a LADA/Type 1 so I have to be careful. I don't do tomatoes or onions, but manage with chives or scallions for flavor.

Chicken paprikash is a good one that will work for pork.

Flat iron steaks are less expensive and a quick meal. Avocados satisfy hunger and have a lot of nutrients.

I eat a lot of fish. Fish in the cast iron in the oven skin side down is fast.

I have a hungry family, so I will roast two pounds of asparagus in a hot oven, maybe 400 degrees. Don't overcook. Remove before done. You can sprinkle with garlic powder.
Never overcook vegetables. Indians use cauliflower a lot and spice it up.

I make a dozen "Mixes" of the flaxmeal muffin. When on the go, I grab one and a whole jar of almond butter. Having the mixes ready, they are easy to make up with an egg and butter in the microwave.

I cook for an active family that eats a lot, but in spite of making pans of things like roasted potatoes, I have not had a bite in three years. Dr. B's diet satisfies me. When I think I may cheat, I keep some pork rinds to eat just to kill the urge. They go well on top of salads or as croutons on soup.

Last A1c was 5.1, but I still make a little insulin. I exercise as much as my body will take. So far, no insulin or pills, but it takes a lot of exercise to do this.

Sheila

Wow, that's a ton of info, thanks Sheila for taking the time.
Ray

I also agree, Dr. B's book "The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution" is not that great. I actually eat like a king. I just don't eat the carbs. The key is to search out low carb cookbooks. There are tons. Some of my favorite authors are Dana Carpender and George Stella. Another source of good recipes is "Low Carbing Among Friends" which has two volumes. In addition to the low carb recipe swap group. Another great site is Linda's Low Carb. And there are lots of user contributed recipes over at Dr. B's site.

Over time, I have modified many foods by using things like almond flour instead of regular flour and then I make specific choices about things. I often look at sites like epicurious for recipes and just make choices. For instance, Coq Au Vin is easily modified to be very low carb.

You'll get this from the book, but Dr B's prototype diet looks like this:

Breakfast 6 grams CHO
Lunch 12 grams CHO
Dinner 12 grams CHO

. . plus the amount of protein needed to keep you satisfied between meals. This will be different for everyone based on age, metabolism, exercise, etc., etc., etc. For me it's 6 to 8 ounces of protein per meal.

He includes a number of sample menus and recipes, and I know you'll get plenty of other posts here with additional ideas and suggestions.

I can't applaud your decision to do this strongly enough. It's the right path to follow -- full stop. I have lost more than 30 lbs and my blood pressure has dropped sharply since going Dr B's low-carb route (plus various other benefits not listed here). Dr B's book is my bible. There is one enormous difference between Dr. B and nearly every other doctor who treats diabetes: he has skin in the game. He hasn't steered me wrong yet -- on anything.

I have never run across a word spoken by Dr. B that is not true. I won't ever lend out my book because it is like a bible to me. I forgot that sunflower seeds are a good snack. I think it is wise to use a Dixie Cup or similar item to measure out your seeds. Don't eat them out of a bag because they are addicting. I keep in glass mason jars for freshness. A stick of gum will satisfy a sweet tooth. Last night, everyone was eating Haagan Daz bars. I poured some heavy cream into a cup, added Truvia and cocoa and stirred. Voila! A few mouthfuls to satisfy an urge. I bought a set of cut glass little canning jars at Walmart and topped with BPA Free plastic canning tops. I keep them filled with the flaxmeal mix on a circular tray. Walmart will order them if they are not in stock. The metal tops are a pain. Walmart is the least expensive for canning jars. Bags take too much time to fill. Generally flaxmeal and other nuts stay fresher in jars than bags.

I never loan out the book either, but I have been known to buy extra copies and give them away. They don't cost much on Amazon and the information is (literally) priceless. I can't think of a better gift for someone who needs it and whom you care about.

I copy the Amazon page and hand it out to people who have a close relative with diabetes. I have a friend whose eyes are damaged from diabetes, so I suggested we find time for me to read and discuss each chapter. I could use Dr. B cards.

What a great question and even greater responses. It is so reassuring to be able to connect with this group. For the 1st time in my life (66yrs) I am not intimidated by the medical profession and have actually been able to discuss options with my Dr. on what is happening. I am healthier than I was 6 months ago and 6 months from now I will be healthier than I am today. That ain't all bad. I am not blindly following ADA recommendations and getting myself in more trouble.

Great info in the discussion.