Driving with Diabetes

Hi all, Jacob is soon to get his license! We try not to be helicopter parents and let Jacob feel empowered to deal with his D his way with us supporting and yes advising at times. When we started this process we thought he should check is blood sugar before driving esp. if it has been a while since a bs check or after work. ( he works pretty hard at a grocery store and underboluses for his food while working with mostly good results, rare lows occasional highs with being too conservative with bolusing). Anyways my question is I know as parents what we would like our kids to do, and what the doctor might suggest but what do adults with D really do with regards to testing before driving. Jacob feels his lows and always has glucose on him. Any honest thought would be appreciated. Thanks! Amy

In the UK there are a series of legal guidelines set out by the driving licence authority. If you are on insulin you have to sign the form agreeing to these every time you renew your licence. Theoretically you could be prosecuted if you don't follow the procedures although I am not aware that this has ever happened in practice.

Of course these will not apply legally in the USA, but they make for sensible procedures that you might want to follow. I try to stick to them.

You must always test before driving. If you are driving for an extended period, you should test again every 2 hours.

Your BG should be at least 5 mmol/L (90 mg/dl) when you start

It is illegal to drive with a BG of below 4 mmol/L (70 mg/dl). If you do so (and are involved in an accident) you could be prosecuted for "driving under the influence of drugs". If your BG is below 4 mmol/L you should stop driving, treat the hypo and then wait 30 mins before setting off again. (Most people don't wait more than a few minutes in practice. DVLA also suggest you get out of the driver's seat and remove the keys but I don't know anybody that does that)

Joel

Yay for Jacob, how exciting! I do a bg check before the car key ever goes in the ignition, even if it's just a quick errand. Jacob may feel his lows but he should make sure his bg is in a good range before he takes off. Ask him to make a it a habit to check before he takes off just like remembering to buckle up for safety :)

Test before driving and blood glucose should be at least 100. If he has a CGM and the trend is stable - I would drive at 90. All my health care providers have said 100 though or above.

Congratulations to Jacob!

Hello Amy:

The first time Jacob has any accident, any moving violation, IF in ANY way the state can blame his diabetes for them, or becomes aware he is a diabetic, his ability to drive is potentially at risk. Make 10,000% certain he knows this.

ALWAYS test before driving.

Just coming off shift, heading home, he must test first. It's just like his keys, he cannot leave park, without that "go" number. It's self-protection 101. Nothing is ever going to happen when hs is behind the wheel. BUT, you want to dig all the moats, put up all the walls and barbed wire you can put out, in order to make certain he does not get surprised.

P.S. Put a bottle of normal soda in the car that is never to be used except for emergency situations.

Congradulate him for passing the test. Now lets get him to the 10,000 mile mark behind the wheel...

I test right before I drive if I haven't tested recently and I keep juice in the glove compartment. If it's 80 and not dropping then I consider myself fine. If I'm driving for more than 2 hours, I test periodically.

1 Like

Stuart’s advice is good. “Rules” don’t work well with 16 year olds, many of them anyway. Your best bet is to lead him to realize it’s his license and he’s a young man now, with the license comes the responsibility… He has to want to do whatever is necessary (taking jnto consideration his level of control) himself because he feels responsibility to, not becuse his parents made it a rule— I think that’s how he’ll have the best success. PS I don’t usually test before driving unless additional circumstances dictate, eg recent bolus with an unknown food, etc.

1 Like

Sam, thank you for acknowledging that rules don't work well for teens! I like your suggestion. I have been really working to stay away form always asking D questions and let him handle it ( I do still look at all his numbers and offer suggestions if asked) but because I love him I am backing off. His control is good, he is super responsible and does not test my limits other than needing space and wanting to be treated appropriately for his age. I think I will explain the rules and guidelines, in a general way some of the info gained here and employ my usual MO of trust, being available, affirming that he is doing a good job and space when he needs it, this is so far my only arsenal of tricks for parenting a teen. He is testing for his license mid April, lots going on in his introverted teen mind starting to think of college ect. I know this stresses him and trying to be the best parent I can. Thanks for the advise! Amy

Hello Leah:

Any treatment which has to be FOUND, counted, searched for or given multiple times (candy, low dose glucose tabs) are potentially problems. Hopefully you live in a warm climate???

Nope, I live in a snowy area. Not sure why that matters… I have pretty good hypo awareness so I never go so low that I can’t operate a juice box.

Best advice is for him to test prior to driving and even better is to test twice at least 15 minutes apart, to see his bg trend, and then test (when safe to do so) periodically as appropriate for the length of time behind the wheel or when feeling symptoms.

Amy-
This is a huge and very important issue and I learned the hard way. I live in CA and lost my license for 6 months while pregnant with my first child. I left work at 96 and didn’t realize how quickly blood sugars can drop. 20 minutes later I drove my car up a hill right by my house. I got out, walked home and got my husband. By the time we got back the police were there and they reported me to the DMV. Than the fun started. Doctors, lawyers, myself all fighting to get back my license. I did get it back after 6 months. Was put on probation for a few years. My rule now is I have to be 120 before I can drive. I can’t do anything in Southern California without a license so I’m very careful. Don’t want to lose it or heaven forbid hurt anyone. Driving is a privilege not a right and we must treat it that way. So glad Jacob got his license and hope he treats it with the repect it deserves and it sounds like he is a very smart young man and will do so.
Side note to this conversation if you tell a doctor you’ve lost consisness they legally have to report you to the DMV. My endo & I had a long talk about that. It’s a catch 22 isn’t it. If I tell you I had a severe low and needed help , you have to report me. So now when I might really need your help and input, I. Ain’t tell you what is happening because I don’t want the DMV to know. What a mess.

Yup, I’m in CA also, and have heard that docs will report anyone who has lost consciousness, to the DMV and it’s tough to get one’s license back. Glad you are OK, and got your license. We won’t talk about the millions of illegals who don’t have a license, don’t know the rules of road, and drive every day…that’s a topic for another forum. :slight_smile:

Been lucky but since pumping don’t have huge/quick drops for no reason. If I get real busy at work near EOD, I will check before heading home but for my day to day driving schedule no issues. On a long haul I’ll check bg, snacks next to me and what not. Now when I was on Reg/NPH injections that was a different story for me. That being said, lets knock on wood and if I had a diabetic son just getting license I would make sure he is aware of risk, just like drinking and driving. It a low will impair your driving, how much is different to each individual.

Is that you driving that truck ?

:grin:

2 Likes

@ilyasid83 hahahaha sometimes it feels like it!

me, i have, a ok, hypo awareness, but i,always have, some type,of fast acting, glucose, on hand,.

I test before driving if I haven’t tested recently / if I still have fast acting on board. I am hypo-aware so this is also not an issue. But with any doubt at all I will test. It is just not worth the risk.

I personally keep my blood sugar between 70 - 100 nearly all the time, though I certainly am not going to try to force it to 100 before driving.

I keep sugar sachets in the car (I like these because they are 5 g each, and my kids and I will not eat them just because they taste good. He must keep supplies in the car at all times. This is critical.

As a young man, he is considered high risk as a driver anyway, even before diabetes. I agree that testing comes with being responsible.

Congrats to him on his first wheels.

1 Like

i forgot, to add, that, i always, test, before, i go anywhere,.

I find your comment about “illegals” uncalled for and offensive…

1 Like