Extending Sensor Life

As I understand it if I want to extend the life of a sensor beyond 7 days then I just enter Stop Sensor, wait 10 to 15 minutes and enter Start Sensor and then wait 2 hours etc as if I had inserted a new sensor.

What signs do you take as indicating a new sensor is required? Readings way off meter readings or the dreaded ??? which touch wood I haven't seen yet. So far I've no problems with sensor not adhering.

No need to wait: stop and immediately restart. No wait necessary.

After one week of time the sensor automatically tells you it is time for another one, and begins a countdown (I think it's five hours or something). The sensor is still good during that countdown, but if you wait all the way till it's done it will in fact shut down. Sometimes I am at work when I get the warning, but know I will be at home on or about the time it shuts down. I just let it do its thing, so that I can continue to monitor my sugars , then when I get home, I stop and start, wait the two hours, recalibrate and I am off for another week (or thereabouts -- after the second week, I often only get a few more days out of them).

/\/\

don't have to wait 10 to 15 min. just stop sensor, count to 10 and then start sensor.

Agree there's no need to wait. When the warning pops up, I plan to stop it myself before it shuts down, preferably when I expect the values to be stable for the 2 hours when I'm flying blind.

Two things happen when a sensor is dying -- (1) lots of ??? (2) bouncing blood glucoses for a short while when they should be stable.

I usually get a sense it's really over when the reliability starts to get a little outside of what I find normal. Not all at once though, it's from large corrections a few times in a row. Right now I'm getting about 3 to 4 weeks per. I've had up to 10 weeks, but also had a bit of an infection from the insert point due to that length of time. I don't recommend too long. But even a lot of doctors have recommended two weeks.

As others have said, you don't need to wait before you restart your sensor, just restart it.

I know it is time to replace my sensor when I get the ???, when there is more variance than I typically see (between Dex and my OmniPod glucometer), and when I get gaps in the point marks on the Dex trend graph. Knock on wood, I rarely get the dreaded ??? anymore, but do notice the point gaps and know that it is time to change.

The adhesive generally gives out before the sensor does, so I use Hypafix on top of the original adhesive, with a cutout for the transmitter. I change out the sensor once the Hypafix gets really ragged, or when the readings from the sensor start to really diverge from my meter's readings. For me, it usually starts to give several false lows over the course of the day (e.g., Dexcom might say 60 while the meter says 100).

Cheers -- Michael