Fast Food Joints

I am always in a quest to find fast food that does not push my bs levels through the roof and where I can find something relatively healthy. I have a couple of favorites - McDonald’s has a decent little side salad - but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of healthy variety out there.

Unless…you wanna clue me in to YOUR favs. :slight_smile:

in the 2 months that i’ve known myself as a diabetic, if i must have fastfood i choose subway coz i can stuff my bread with lots of veggies. and they do stuff the sandwiches with quite a lot of veggies. here in singapore there are a couple of sandwiches which have 6grams of fat or less per sandwich. i usually go for those. and i agree with rainbowgoddess, stay away from value meals! at macca’s i go for this thing called a grilled chicken foldover and they are happy to comply with my request for extra onion and lettuce. and less mayo.

About the only place I can eat in the local food court is Extreme Pita. They offer light dressings, and the usual assortment of veggies. They also have little nutritional information sheets that break down how many carbs in just the pita, in the veggies, so forth, as well as estimates for each pita. 1 small pita = 38 carbs. Large I don’t know.

Also, they way they roll them, you can rip off a quarter to a half of the pita (the bits folded over on top) and reduce the carb count that way, if you need to.

Tim Hortons has good sandwiches on wheat rolls. I tend to move all the toppings to one half of the sandwich, and discard the extra bread.

I hate Mayo and yes, fast food places put WAY to much on. I think I wore myself out on Subway when I was in college, so I really don’t care for them too much. lol They have gone the way of tghe Ramen Noodle to me. lol

Hey Tom,

McDonald’s has a really good fat free Italian dressing from Paul Newman that I get when I order their side salad. That’s a good tip to just eat the chicken - thanks.

An Extreme Pita opened up right by my job recently and I’ve gone there twice. I love that they have the nutrition data for various components, so you can create your own sandwich without having to guess too much. Most of their dressings are better than what you’ll find anywhere else as far as calories go. The larger (“regular”) pita has about 50g of carbs. I’m Type 1 and both times I got the regular and just bolus the appropriate amount of insulin.

I mostly avoid fast food. When I have gotten it, it’s been mostly from sandwich places like Extreme Pita or Subway, which I don’t really like much.

A small Wendy’s chili is also a good bet. 220 calories, 6g fat, 23g carb, 5g fiber

The most recent issue of the dLife newsletter came in the mail a few days ago and it included an article/table with the five healthiest choices at fast food’s top five: McD, BK, Wendy’s, Taco Bell and Subway.

I personally prefer Subway’s, but have found some unexpected surprises in their menu. For instance, their 6-inch Tuna Cold Sandwich has close 50 gr of carbs. The list on dLife had these items for Subway:
-Veggie Delite Salad (12 gr of carb)
-Grilled Chicken Breast and Baby Spinach (12 gr of carb)
-Salad with Grilled Chicken (12 gr of carb)
-Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup (12 gr of carb)
-Turkey Breast Wrap (18 gr of carb)

Not sure if y’all have Roly Polys where you are but that is also another good choice. They even usually have a lower carb soup. Also, all of their wraps (which you can get on low-carb tortilla) can also be made as a salad. They have a decent selection of sandwiches or you can even wrap your own. They also have some neat and different items if you so desire such as avacados or cashews. Their website has complete nutritional values and its walking distance from my office :slight_smile:

Kerri, from dLife, has been kind enough to point me in the direction with the complete lists for all 5 restaurants:
http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/food_and_nutrition/menu_planning/navigating_the_drive_through.html

I’m a little late on this topic (new to this site). Do you find subways carb counts to be waaaaay off? I am usually bolusing 3 times the amount listed. I think they sprinkle it with hidden carbs… I don’t get it?? Anyone else notice this?