Feeling down because I'm up

I had my latest endo appointment this morning. My weight is up, my A1C is up and my BP is up. I was not a happy camper. Because I have other risk factors besides diabetes for my eyes and the fact that my BP has now been consistantly over 135/80 for my last 3 visits, she decided to put me on lisinopril. I’m feeling a bit mad/sad/upset about this because it makes me feel that everything I do to control my diabetes means nothing if I’m going to start having complications already. I exercise, I avoid unhealthy foods, I haven’t had a A1C over 6 since I started pumping, and yet I’m going on BP meds before my 26th birthday. She did say that the BP is not caused by diabetes per say, but is just an additional risk factor for my eyes and kidneys so she wants it lower. She is also sending me for an echocardiogram to be on the safe side, as I’m a bit young (real age and diabetes age) to need BP meds.
I’m very glad that TU is here for me to vent, as this is the first time in a long time that I’ve felt that D is kicking my behind. Everyone on here understands these days, so I’m glad that I get my feelings out.

There really isn’t anything more frustrating than one of those visits with the doctor. It sounds like your doctor is being very prudent in keeping the BP low to help avoid damage to your eyes and kidneys. Sometimes weight and BP are traveling together. I was, at my largest, about 30 pounds heavier. My BP was high. I lost the weight slowly (mostly by being a better diabetic and doing more than lip service to the “eating right”). Now I am consistently within healthy target range. I’ve had some retinopathy and my kidneys have sustained some damage. I was in my late 20s when my BP went up – don’t fret or beat yourself up too much. This stuff happens. You just have to step back, regroup, and then charge ahead. Sometimes your body will have a mind of its own. It is very likely that it isn’t ALL bad behavior causing the difficulties. You’ve got really good A1c’s so that goes a long way to minimizing any potential complications. And remember, Scarlett, tomorrow is another day.

After 38 years of beng diabetic I had open heart surgery in Feb, triple vessel bypass. I am recovering nicely and knew this was coming so I did almost everything to make sure I would make it without problems. Three hours before discharge glucose was 335, and I was given 35 units of Humalog and four hours later I was 35.Sometimes life s really hard. Don’t give up, keep giving it your all.