Fiasp vs Lyumjev and site failures

I have been using Fiasp almost since it first came out. I love the increased action time and the quicker trail off can also be beneficial. It works quite well with Control IQ on my X2 also.

For a while now I have been dealing with premature site failures; often they fail in just over 1 day. Rarely do they last more than 2. It is very annoying also that the site can go from working very well to not at all in a matter of hours. Often I have woken up and my blood sugar is fine, or maybe it is high and I take a bolus, or perhaps I bolus at breakfast and my BG drops quite readily or at least never goes high. Then a couple hours later my BG starts climbing on its own and I start seeing the dreaded condensation in the site window, or I bolus for the high and BAM suddenly it is leaking profusely. This is no doubt tiresome for anyone, and I have tried using new areas in hopes the fresher areas that haven’t been used as much will absorb better. Occasionally a spot will work well and I’ll get all the way through 3 days. I have thought it was just my site areas building up scar tissue from so much use (the center strip of my stomach is pretty much a complete no go due to not rotating through enough areas for so many years when I was younger), but now I am wondering if it is the Fiasp. I can’t quite remember if I had these issues with Humalog before as it has been so long, but I am wondering if the additive in Fiasp that makes it work faster is causing the site to stop absorbing sooner. The insertion area does tend to leave a harder feeling lump.

Has anyone else who has switched to Fiasp noticed this? If you take Lyumjev, or another faster working insulin if there are any, have you had the same issue? I really don’t want to have to go back to Humalog, and truly probably won’t as the faster action still outweighs the issue I think, but these premature site failures are getting very very tiring.

I can’t use Lyumjev in my pump. The sites become irritated, and I have to replace the site within 1-2 days because I stop absorbing the insulin. I can generally go the full three days with Novolog or Humalog, but I prefer Novolog.

Lyumjev in a pen is incredibly fast. I’m a big fan of the insulin as long as i just use it in a pen. Fiasp didn’t work well for me in a pen, so I never tried it in a pump.

This happens to me even with humalog. I think it’s just from pumping so much for so long, sites just don’t last as long. I haven’t used fiasp, but I want to.

I’ve given up using both Fiasp and Lyumjev. As noted above, Lumjev just flat-out stops working right after 2 days, and the site gets tender to the touch.

Fiasp, for me, is good for exactly three days. But it occludes immediately after that.

For the past year, I’ve been using Humalog snd (more recently) the Lispro generic Humalog. Both will work for 6-7 days on 300U in a t:slim cartridge. I now load it with only ~250U and get 5 days.

I get about equal performance from both Fiasp and Lyumjev, using Omnipod. The key for me is to limit the size of any bolus to 5 units max. via the pod. Any bolus larger than that is with syringe. Seems to help most pods last 3+ days. Before I started limiting the bolus I was getting pain and a red welt with Lyumjev, not so much with Fiasp.

Thank you all for the replies! So far it sounds like it MIGHT be worth a try, but doesn’t sound promising.

I use Lyumjev and love it.Actually I think it works the best for me. I have used all the fast acting insulins and for me they were all bit different in action behavior. I used Fiasp and loved it but it stopped working in my system after about a year and 1/2. At that point it would not absorb well and would clog within 24 hours of putting in a new set. I switched to Novolog till I was able to switch to Lyumjev. I do get a bump at the site after 48 hours but my absorption does not seem to be impacted much. I try to switch out my sets between 48 and 60 hours, but I do best when I do that with any insulin I use. I use short steel needles and a T Slim. Good Luck,

1 Like