Finger stick effects on finger tips

Any suggestions on preventing rough skin/calluses on the tips of fingers due to frequent blood sugar checks??!! I was diagnosed a few months ago and frequent checks are taking a toll on my finger tips. :frowning:

One way is to have enough different sites that each one gets a rest before being used again. I have three sites on each fingerā€”left side, center, and right side. That makes a total of 30, so each one gets to rest for a couple of days between sticks. Iā€™ve been doing this for a number of years now and so far, no calluses.

Iā€™ve always wondered how much of a problem this is for guitar and banjo players, who have pretty well developed calluses already.

1 Like

I prick the sides of my fingers, change my lancet somewhat regularly (definitely not every test, but definitely more than once a year!), and use a Multiclix lancing device. Iā€™ve been testing four to twelve times per day for 25 years and it hasnā€™t affected my fingertips. Iā€™m a braille reader and it hasnā€™t slowed down my reading speed at all.

4 Likes

Thank you!! I will definitely start the 3 positions on each finger strategy!! I have the one touch ultra meter/lancing device. Is there a big difference among companies with the effects on your fingertips??

Iā€™ve had T1D for 9 years and have been lancing my fingers since meters were available. There is a huge difference in lancing devices in my opinion. I probably check my bg 10 times a day and I donā€™t use my thumbs or index fingers, yet I have no callouses since I started using the accu-chek multiclix and now their fastclix - plus it uses drums so thereā€™s no sharps to handle. pretty much every pharmacy sells these.

Mostly I donā€™t notice any callus beyond what I already have from string playing. I use a different finger every day, so itā€™s 9 days off for each. And Iā€™m pricking more on the side of the finger than where the calluses from playing are. My forefingers are the most finger-stick resistant, particularly the left one because it gets the most use on the fretboard and due to certain ways of playing the callus there is spread out more.

Iā€™ve been jabbing 'em for 32 years, and likewise. With all this skin-piercing stuffā€“injections, infusion sets, CGMā€“location rotation is essential.

Same here. The fastclix is my lancet of choice.

1 Like

Agree with what others have said: use side of fingers, rotate, rotate, rotate, find a lancet you like - Delica and Fastclix are used here - and change your lancet often!

I use the accu-chek multiclix. Iā€™ve been testing 6-8 times a day for 18 years and no calluses. I do like others, I have a regular rotation and use both sides of each finger. I do change the lancet daily.

Iā€™ve used Accu-Chek products my entire diabetic ā€œcareerā€ - since 2001. I love them, too! Iā€™ve been able to keep my Fastclix on setting ā€œ1ā€ and still reliably get blood without developing calluses. I use the sides of my fingers, pretty much only my left hand, not my right, all this time with no issue. Iā€™d use the .5 setting, but I wasnā€™t reliably getting a large enough sample every time that way. I canā€™t remember the last time I changed my drum though.

The guitar calluses are at the tips of the fingers. I suspect that most people avoid the tips anyway. I test mostly on the sides of fingers and favour my right hand for testing.

No callouses or fingertips that look like raw hamburger since my daughter switched to sides of fingers only, and decreased fingersticks to about 2 to 3 times daily (thanks to very accurate Dexcom readings!)

Yep, the lancet and lancing device (as well as its setting ā€“ stick to the LOWEST level that consistently draws blood on the first try) do make a difference in my experience. From the three brands Iā€™ve used over 8.5 years, I find the Bayer Microlet 2 the most gentle. It is however more prone to damage and I have had to request a new one from the company several times (they send it to you for free if your return the faulty one in the prepaid envelope they provide).

The other thing I have discovered is that not changing the lancet every single time also causes more damage. I used to change mine religiously every single time (I test 8 times a day on average) for years and never had any visible calluses. Then this year read that this is a common practice among fellow PWDs and decided to try. Well, not even six months later, I see many of the finger prick spots. Granted, my skin has always been pretty sensitive, so it was just stupid of me to even try, but it was an informative experiment. Now Iā€™m back to changing them each time (the cost of the lancets is nothing compared with the cost of the strips anyway, so there was very little benefit), making sure the piercing level is set to 1 and rotating sites as described by others above (6 locations per finger).

I also rotate. I use the sides of the finger and I use one finger for the whole day and go one to the next the following day. So that gives the finger time to heal (rest up for the next assault). I also change my lancet but I do it every three days when I change my infusion set. That way I never forget. The longer you reuse a lancet the more damage that might be done.

I prick the side of my index or middle finger. I only have to check once a day though. Hope this helps!

THANKS SO MUCH!! You guys are so helpful!!! So happy to have this group!! :blush:

1 Like