First T-1 diabetic to do Ironman Triathlon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk_Kvjvje6U

I remember watching this on the Wild World of Sports back in the 80's. I wasn't diagnosed at that time; but now I understand how remarkable it is. The insulin pump looks like a brick strapped to his side. Technology has come a long way since then.

Neat story! I like the monster pump, mesh-backed hats the support crew are wearing and yikes, 1980s running shorts! Thanks for sharing this great achievement with us!

If you look closely at the pump it looks like he is turning dials on it. I like how they were talking about him checking every hour. I'm not doing a sporting event and I check almost that much. Is that BG meter one of the ones that you had to wait 5 minutes on?

And we complain about how bad we have it now. I am so glad I didn't have to go through the peeing on a stick thing with the color chart.

I did an Ironman before I got T1. Even though the body will gradually adapt to the longer workouts, so their impact on BS will be less, I can easily see the extra difficulty.
But as this guy proves, and many other after him, it's not impossible. Nearly all motivated people who has the time and a bike will be able to do it.