Footcare Advice - how do you treat your feet?

It’s only recently I’m started becoming very aware of my feet, perhaps reading an article on diabetic neuropathy scared the jeebus out of me, so now I’m totally obsessive with those fancy lotions and pumice stones… the only thing I can’t give up is my high heel shoes because well… I’m 20 and perhaps when I reach middle age I’ll think about those silly looking orthopedic shoes :frowning: for now I’m trying to maintain the feet to best ability.
Does anyone have any tips on there foot care regime, if they even have one, and how you deal with things like calluses, corns and warts? footwear? sexy heels? I would love to hear feet stories :slight_smile:

Lots of us middle-aged women don’t wear orthopedic shoes:) Guess what, we wear sexy high heels, too. Corns & calluses can be caused by shoes that don’t fit right. Afraid that tight high heels can be a major contributor to these.

Keep your feet well moisturized. I love almond oil & hemp oil. Of course, you know about never going barefoot. I hate this part because I’d rather have no shoes on. Don’t treat corns, calluses, warts or any foot issues yourself.

Well let me share a few things with you all as I have only been a Diabetic for about 5 years but I have been doing Pedicures for over 19 years.

The thing with callouses is that you want to REDUCE and not remove them. No blades or anything sharp! What I recommend to my clients is a red foot file called the Swedish Clover foot file. You can find these at Sally Beauty Supply and they run like 7 or 8 dollars. And like every other month I think for 5 dollars. I like these because they have a coarse side to reduce the callous and then a smooth side to make it nice and soft. These files will last you for years! Pumice stones in my opinion are a waste of money because they really don’t help to break down the callous or smooth it so why bother?

Also, another product I love to recommend is Foot Relief by Aveda. It is wonderful in the fact that it is not too heavy or greasy and it really absorbs nicely. You don’t need to put on socks after you apply and a little goes a long way. The best way to use it is to apply at night before bed that way it has a chance to penetrate. If you are skeptical, buy the travel size and give it a try a few nights in a row but make sure you use the foot file first or all you are doing is moisturizing that dead skin on your heels.

And a big tip I want to share especially for those of you who love to wear flip flops, what I do before I head out for the day is take the Foot Relief and apply it just around the edge of my heels so that way I hydrate my heels (where cracks can form) but the bottom of my feet don’t get slippery.

Any questions, I will be more than happy to answer.

Since this a old post any new products you would recommend

It is winter now ,cold ,boot season. I use any lotion per my podiatrist. I like Goldbond. He also suggested I use an emery board to reduce my calluses,they are caused by friction. I have used this for 20 years and I have no feet issues, no neuropathy. My primary care says I have the best diabetic feet she has ever seen. Since I don’t drive I say my feet are my transportation.make sure you always put slippers on at night too. Nancy

i like dr. scholl's heel repair cream. you can find it at target next to the bunion pads, etc! : )