Forget 1 test strip a day and save a life

Did you know that if you didn’t test 1 time a day would equal $1. In one month that would be $30.00. That $30.00 would save a child in Haiti. Just a thought. If you don’t want to do that, how about forgoing starbucks which cost $4.00 per day and send that to people who really need it. Anyway you look at it, it is not really taking any money out of your pocket that you did not plan to spend.

Great, then you have more to give. Dave, I do not want to play, this is serious to me. Give what you can Dave, not for me, but all the little ones that really need it.

I understand the thought behind what you want people to do, but telling them to check their blood glucose less frequently is a pretty poor idea.

The point is to give something that you spend money on…go without, and donate that money to people in desperate need of just the very basics of living. I know what you mean Jon, and thank goodness for people with a heart as kind as yours. xo

Would it have been wise to put the Discussion under a different title , but yet getting the message across …just a thought ??!!
I learned a long time ago : take care of ME , in order to take care of those , who need taking care off .
Your HEART is as far as I am concerned in the right place Jon …and… I would not giving up one POKE and would find the $$ elsewhere

Bad way to make a point! How dare you think that not using a strip a day can save a life.

However, the need is real and I think of the T1Ds who are now helpless to get their own supplies and insulin. I back you on your idea to donate, for that, cudos.

Oh but I do dare S Woodward. Giving up one strip can be taken as a metaphor. Use the strip, but maybe give up a starbucks or whatever (just in case you tell me you don’t go to starbucks). And I don’t believe someone needs to have diabetes to warrant the basics of life. I personally have set aside a box of strips, meter, humalog pens and lantus that I don’t need since going on the pump, and will be shipping out to the insulin for life organization. This along with my texting to red cross.

And Net, your right, I meant to post to general discussions…my mistake, but I’m glad you get the message. Poke away and find the money to help another way. It’s the result that counts, not how you need to get there.

Thanks Robyn. I should have known you would have gotten the idea. Take care xo

Not sure if I found the phrase…“get nothing in return” I guess Webster left it out.

Main Entry: char·i·ty
Pronunciation: \ˈcher-ə-tē, ˈcha-rə-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural char·i·ties
Etymology: Middle English charite, from Anglo-French charité, from Late Latin caritat-, caritas Christian love, from Latin, dearness, from carus dear; akin to Old Irish carae friend, Sanskrit kāma love
Date: 13th century

1 : benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
2 a : generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need b : an institution engaged in relief of the poor c : public provision for the relief of the needy
3 a : a gift for public benevolent purposes b : an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
4 : lenient judgment of others
synonyms see mercy

Let’s just all take it easy, and give, if we feel it in our hearts to give. There’s no need to harass people into giving… or tell what they need to sacrifice or not, to give. Give, if you want to. It’s our own personal decision. And Dave, we were offered foreign aid, but at the time Bush rejected all foreign aids, and said we were just fine without it. Sorry.

Your right Lizmari. The US declined foreign aid for Katrina, and some we did accept, very little was used and some was wasted As far as harassing, I don’t mean to. I just started this as a possible way to think of someway to give a dollar or two. Never said anyone would be terrible if they didn’t. I must say, I was shocked that a lot of people got hung up on the test strip statement, but didn’t say anything about the starbuck metaphor besides Robyn.

You have a great memory Lizmari.

It’s kind of frightening thinking that there are diabetics in Haiti right now probably going without their insulin…

Well said Lizmari.

Humility is a virtue, not a target for thoughtless comments.

Thanks to all who have the opportunity to donate and I hope all can gain the opportunity to donate to whomever or whatever is important to them.

My own opinion? You wouldn’t like it, plus would be banned from this site. Excuse me for ever believing you would come off your soap box and care for anything but your self. By the way I used the dictionary definition trying to find where charity meant you deserve something back. Didn’t find it so I cut and paste to see if you would. Guess not. You are a disappointment. I thought you could do better than that …Dave :}

“I don’t recall the US getting one thin dime when Katrina hit New Orleans”, Hate to say it, but your comment was completely wrong. Before you try to show your intelligence, you should get the facts first. I so think you are a smart guy, but a very bitter one.

For those of you interested in helping out in Haiti, check out the International Diabetes Federation (IDF)'s trust fund. If you’re interested in helping people with diabetes in Haiti who have been affected by the recent catastrophe, using the IDF’s fund is a great way to go.

Although, as many have said below (and above?), I don’t believe the money I spend on test strips to be, in any way, disposable income (this may be different depending on the individual); however, I know that I can most definitely find some funds to support those affected by this tragedy.

Please see the IDF communication sent earlier today for more information (attached below). I would also be happy to forward the email on to anyone interested.

Jen

IDF establishes Diabetes Trust Fund for Haiti

Many member associations have contacted the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) concerned about the safety of the national diabetes association in Haiti following the devastating earthquake. We are also receiving offers of support for the Haitian Foundation for Diabetes and Cardiovascular Diseases (Fondation Haitienne de Diabete et de Maladies Cardio-Vasculaires) in these very challenging times.

I wanted to let you know that we have heard from the association in Haiti and that amongst the widespread tragedy there is good news. Communicating by email, association vice-president Philippe Larco said, “We have survived the earthquake which affected almost 3 million Haitians with hundreds of thousands dead. The president of the foundation Dr Rene Charles and his wife are fine.”

Sadly, we have also heard that some association members have lost family members. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and with the people of Haiti as they struggle to come to terms with the loss and devastation brought by this natural disaster.

In his email, Mr Larco added: “We are ready to receive diabetes supplies and distribute it in the best possible way to people with diabetes through our network.”

IDF and Insulin for Life have joined together to launch a relief effort for people with diabetes in quake-stricken Haiti. A shipment of insulin, meters, test strips and other supplies has been rushed to the Haitian Diabetes association. The foundation houses the only dedicated diabetes clinic in Haiti, which is understood to still be standing.

An additional parcel of diabetes supplies has been sent to Dr Nancy Larco in Washington, USA. Dr Nancy Larco, project coordinator at the Haitian Diabetes association and daughter of its president Dr Rene Charles, is currently trying to make her way back to Haiti with the second batch of emergency supplies.

IDF is setting up a Haiti Diabetes Trust Fund where member associations can support people with diabetes during the emergency and contribute to rebuilding services for the more than 300,000 people with diabetes in Haiti in the longer term.

IDF cannot receive donations of insulin or other diabetes supplies. We will pass on any such offers to Insulin for Life.

IDF would be pleased to accept donations of money from member associations (sent to IDF the same way membership fees are paid, marked ‘Haiti Fund’). Donations will be used as needed to support further shipments of emergency diabetes supplies and in the longer term, to support the national diabetes association in Haiti.

I thank you for the many messages we have received. This has been another inspiring example of the global solidarity felt within the IDF family.

IDF President Jean Claude Mbanya has offered his condolences: "Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this terrible tragedy. As attention shifts from rescue to caring for survivors, IDF will continue spearheading efforts by the global diabetes community to ensure people with diabetes are given the assistance they need.”

• Ann Keeling, CEO, International Diabetes Federation

Imagine a child alone, without food, without shelter, without water, imagine just laying their helpless.

Thanks Jen. but did you see where I said something in the my beginning of this discussion about Starbucks? Why doesn’t someone attack me for that? I’m just saying there is more going on in Haiti than diabetes. A child is a child whether they have diabetes or not, they need help. If that is so wrong, maybe I don’t belong on Tudiabetes. By the way, I am not attacking you or anyone else, I just feel so terribly bad about what is going on in Haiti and wish I could do more. I never told people to give money, I just asked.

Hey Jon,

I agree that there are so many people in need in Haiti. Your discussion here has definitely given people something to think about.

I am a bit confused about your Starbucks comment. I think the reason that I didn’t comment on it was because the ‘funds’ I use for coffee is exactly where the ‘extra’ money I donated will come from. To me, coffee money is definitely disposable income.

I would imagine that most people agree with you in terms of the Starbucks… it’s definitely a luxury that many of us can (and will!!) chose to go without… and that is probably why there has been little to no response to that part of your post!

Hope your Haiti advocacy continues to go well and will be effective in getting the support to the many Haitians affected by this catastrophe.

Thanks Jen for understanding what I was getting at. I don’t expect anyone to give up a test strip and maybe not even a starbuck’s. Just was tossing out a few ideas so people would not feel like they are really giving things up to help the poor children and their families. I can’t seem to want to help when I see a child in so much need. I think it comes from having children myself and thanking God, they are not in harm’s way. Can I have a mothering instinct but am a father?

Take care Jen

Ok , Jon , would it work ,so that not everyone reading your Discussion gets hung up about either donating strip money /coffee money ( we don’t even have Starbucks here ) , you add an addendum , post script , what ever one calls it and change the wording ( as I mentioned in my response on the first page ) . And lets stay focussed, please on the intend of your great discussion .
By the way Manny has a discussion about Haiti as well and I responded honestly about what we do , after we find the local office of the Salvation Army open on Monday …Fri closed, today closed and we are not sure why !