Freestyle Nav User - Do I go with the Dex or MM CGM?

Thanks! Glad to hear the MM works for you. I have an Animas pump - i think I’m going to trial the MM tomorrw. I will let you know how it works for me… I still think I am dex leaning though

I was a MM CGMS user and have been a MM pump user for 7-10 years (cant remember now). I switched to Dex and its amazing. The accuracy is fantastic and the sensors are easy, plus they last for weeks. Your already comfortable with multiple devices so having the “football” on you wont be a bother. Honestly I cant say enough good about the Dexcom.

The MM CGMS is supposed to have been updated and I’ve seen users on here that are posting numbers that are spot on with fingerstick readings. I think MM needs to update the display on the pump for the amount of information it gives out, which is another minus for the MM for me. Also, the infusion sets are still (afaik) akin to the silhouettes infusion set making them less comfortable for me, but thats more a personal thing.

Sorry about the troubles and higher BGs, but I hope your able to get your hands on a cgms soon.

I second the statement of the Dexcom sensors lasting for weeks. I have one in my arm that has been there for 22 days. I cover it with IV3000, and change the IV3000 every 7 days when I restart the sensor. The most I’ve gotten out of 1 sensor has been 30 days. The readings on day one are the equivalent to the readings on day thirty without any wonky readings.

I also am a previous Minimed user and switched to Animas and Dexcom. Minimed was good but Dexcom is much much better for me.

Integrated is not all it’s cracked up to be in my experience. Having the data together would be nice but I actually prefer having it on a separate receiver as opposed to the pump.

Where abouts on the arm are you placing them? I love to get some other spots to use.

My best so far is 32 days or so. I was pretty amazed. There was no red spot, no nothing. Such an amazing device.

Upper arms, thighs, and lower back. I don’t ever place a sensor on my stomach.

Wow. Into muscle tissue, like the upper arms or thighs? or fatty tissue or…?

Thanks for the info, btw.

fatty tissues :slight_smile:

Hey all -

I have a bit of an answer to your question - which is also a question to the rest of the group…

I’ve been a happy user of Dexcom for years now. It’s time for me to get a new pump and
CGMS so I’m considering switching to MiniMed. Having only one device on my belt
would be convenient.

But the main reason I’m considering switching is that the Dexcom alarm doesn’t
wake me up at night. It happens way too frequently that I wake up high, having
slept through the periodic double-beep of the Dex.

So my question to those of you who use MM is - does the alarm wake you up? I’ve
used the MM pump and when it wants to alarm it really does - there’s no way I
could sleep through that. Is the high/low BG alarm similarly insistent?

I have to say I love the Dex. It’s easy to use, mostly accurate, all the same things
everyone else is talking about. I just wish it woke me up…

Also interested to hear any other general comments from those who have tried
both to get your perspectives.

Thanks!

Scott

Aside from setting alarms to Vibe mode and pinning/setting the receiver next to you at night, you could try a Radio Shack type solution to pick up and amplify the sound.

That’s very true! I have only lost it once, about a week after I got it. At that time, it was sort of annoying (3 miles into a 1/2 marathon…) but I was still getting the hang of it so I was like ‘oh well’. Now I would be very annoyed. Occasionally I (compulsively) overcalibrate and it gets a bit off and I am always sort of like ‘oh well, no perfect telemetry’ because I am also compulsive about trying to fix them…

Oh, I found a great link for you to peruse, Here.

Usually my MM wakes me up, but it’s not nearly loud enough either! Does the Dex have a vibrate mode? I heard a suggestion with (I think) the Navigator to put the receiver on vibe and put it in a metal bowl at the bedside. Unfortunately I haven’t found a way to make that work with my pump:)

I take the dex, put it on vibrate and sound, and pin it inside a sock, to the inside of my shorts. It will wake me up if I go too high or too low.

I actually stick it up next to my head on vibrate. The vibrate wont wake me up, but the alarm might and if not me, then it will the wife.

My MM seems to wake me up? It seems to have a litany of sounds and if you keep ignoring it, it escalates to increasingly annoying bleeping bleeping, even when it’s set to ‘vibrate only’? The manual doesn’t explain this but it seems sort of reasonable. Every now and then I will sleep through layers of it and awaken to the more extreme noises (sometimes coupled my MrsAcidRock going “are you ok? turn that off!” but most of the time, I can skate by without it going off.

Will the Minimed wake you up?

Depends. If you are using the integrated pump, there is a good chance it will NOT wake you up because your pump will be attached to you and buried under the covers while you sleep (the downside of integration). If you use the guardian unit you might be lucky enough to be able to put it on a nightstand (so you can hear it) and still keep the signal. Might. I cannot. I can’t wait to try the dex.

Yes you are right with the pump it is easy to muffle the alarm. On the dexcom, if it is in my pocket, i will also sleep thru it so I find putting it on the night stand, i wake even in the vibrate mode as it “rattles” arouind on the night stand. My vote is 100 to one Dexcom over MM

I have a bit different perspective on the selection of a CGM. I have participated in clinical studies with the Nav and MM side by side.

There are two point to correct in the comments made. One, the FDA had nothing to do with the Nav going off the market, they lost parts suppliers and are designing new new product to replace the previous version. Two, the MM system, the Revel, is not the same as what they have previously sold and is much more accurate and easer to use, both performance and from a calibration process.

Comparing CGM needs done base on your preference, your commitment to learning the product and the CGM technology, and the way you want to where and interact with the CGM. The navigator has the most accurate software and is easiest to calibrate.

The MM, the X53 Revel series, can be as accurate as the Dexcom, but the sensor is not as comfortable and cannot be worn for more than days 6 or so. The sensor inserter is intimidating, but not uncomfortable, and the sensor needs to be secured solidly to work consistently for 6 days. The MM guardian uses old software technology.

The screen on the Dex is really easy to read. Tom T’s assessment is right on for comparison and about the new sensors in process of FDA approval.

Be careful about anything a Dex rep states about any other product because they have a tendency to put down the competition w/o consideration for facts. Since they were written up by the FDA last year for off labeling marketing, they need to get that cleared up before they can sell their sensor, which I heard would not be until late 2011…not sure as fact though.

The display on the MM is the worst out there because they have squeezed way too much info into the display and the button sequencing is over designed and different from mode to mode.

I use the MM Revel and am frustrated by the user interface more than anything else. However, since it is both a Pump and CGM, I would not trade it.

Although JDRF has sponsored and project to get the Dex and Animas to work together, and maybe as a AP, there are currently phase 3 studies with other pump/CGM manufactures that will have product on the market far ahead of the Dex/Animas system. MM already sells an open loop system that shuts off the insulin when BG drops too low and or rapidly, called the Veo. It has been sold in the rest of the for nearly a 1.5 year and the FDA is not approving it because they clinical data is not what they want…even though it is for sale everywhere else. Thank you FDA. The software in the MM Revel system uses the same software as he Veo except for the insulin shutoff feature.

That alot of info. Get the reps to let you use both for a week or so before you make a decision and read Think Like a Pancreas. …Good luck! Both product will help with T1D management immensely.

You are right about the last line - get a rep to let you try. I did and here is my summary. The MM sensor was uncomfortable at insertion and bled. I have been getting poked and proded for over thirty years and did not think there was a needle out there that could bother me. The MM did!. So once we get it up and running, I found it difficult to operate, difficult to silence alarms (the right 2 buttons had to be hit in the proper sequence) and even more difficult to read. These manufacturers should understand that many long time diabetics have vision issues and design accordingly. Both Animas and Dexcom have done that with simple clear screens that are easy to navigate and read.
Regarding the alarms, with the MM being tethered as a pump, the alarms at night were muffled by the covers. At bedtime, the device needs to be on a firm surfave like a night stand and the rattling around wakes me fine, but if under the covers, i can not hear it and sleep thru an alarm.

When I tried the Dexcom, it was so much easier to read and use. My Dexcom sensor went 2 weeks and I got 5 or 6 days on the MM.

Any purchase decision needs to be made on whats available today not what might be available tomorrow. The wonderful FDA has become nothing but a bureaucracy great examples are the MM pump shutoff function and the Animas color screen for a remote meter - Those seem like 5 minute decisions. Others around the world approved them as minor enhancements but the FDA in their infinite wisdom chose otherwise. 2012 cant come soon enough. Perhaps with a new administration they will once again become the premier regulating agency in the world.

A couple of other differences - Mini med has no free loaner, Animas does. I really wanted the integrated system but carry=ing 2 devices that work well versus one device that was problematic, I chose the Animas/Dexcom combination. When the FDA gets around to approving the integration, they have an outstanding upgrade program. My wife and I were Dexcom userss and they provided us an upgrade package for only 200 each and we will be allowed to upgrade again when and if the new integrated pump is approved. So in summary you asked for opinions which I stated above. You asked which works better : Dexcom, Which is more accurate ; Dexcom; Calibrates well - Both

S Woodward - I don’t know what you meant about being careful about anything a Dexcom rep says. Have you had a problem with Dexcom - I found them to be open and honest in all conversations. Also - I was not aware of other integrations that will be available ahead of animas/dexcom - would you care to elaborate on that one?

Good luck but remember dont take my or anyone elses word - try before you buy. If it was a car you were buying, you would test drive it - Yes No - this CGM will be a daily part of your life 24 - 7 check it out thoroughly. I think both are wonderful devices, I just think DEXCOM is more wonderful