Getting Control of Diabetes with other Illnesses

Hi,
I have had diabetes for quite a long time. I am Type 1 for about 30 or so years. Four years ago I had a surgery that did not go well, and I have some other long standing chronic illnesses. I had a lot of pain, was on a lot of medication, and was bedridden and sick for a long time. I finally feel that some of the issues I was having are resolving themselves and I am ready to try hard to get my life back in order. I felt so awful for so long but I never gave up. I changed my diet, and kept going to the doctor until they started listening to me. I feel better and now it is time to get myself together again!. I am up longer and longer and adding tasks during the day. I am trying to start an exercise program that works and I want to get my AIC down from 8.4. It has never been that high before. I have been looking on the Web at the conditions that I have for helpful ideas, and watching videos about natural ways to take care of my health.
My BGs got so bad that I quit taking the readings more than 3 times a day. I would like to spend the month taking them 5 times a day, recording them and then taking them to my Endocrinologist so that I can get the AIC test and my goal right now is to get my AIC under 6 and to learn how to exercise without getting sore and sick from it and going low.
I would appreciate ideas on how other people take care of their health when they face pain and chronic disorders…
I am so happy and excited. I really thought I would never get better but now it is time for me to really get serious about my diabetes because I want to avoid any problems in the future.
I hope to hear from you if you have thoughts, ideas or inspiration because I am sure that I am not the only one that this has happened to. I really believe that people can change if they want to. Thoughts?
I would really like to hear about your experience if it sounds like mine and things that you are doing or that you have done to make things better.
I am back to this site after being gone for years. Things have changed so much. Please excuse me if it takes a while to figure out what I am doing when I post.

9 Likes

Welcome back, @lotsofshots! I remember your screen name. Looks like you’ve had a rough go of it for the last few years.

I like this. A lot.

Persistance pays. I like your spirit. I have not had similar challenges with pain and exercising but I know many here have. I did have to work through my plantar fasciitis with physical therapy – a comparative molehill considering what you’ve been through! Walking is my primary exercise and I don’t know how I would exercise if I was cut off from that activity. Walking plays a crucial role in my overall control.

I hope you get some responses you’re looking for. I look forward to your continuing visits!

4 Likes

I agree with @Terry4, walking is a great way to control one’s BGs. If you have a dog, walking is even better! If walking is difficult, you could try biking or doing stretches, yoga. I sprained my ankle recently and was unable to do my normal runs, or even walk, for 4 weeks. Without my normal exercise I had to increase insulin and still I was unable to stay in target. So, yes, if at all possible try to fit in some exercise daily. It will help to control your BGs.

1 Like

My additional challenges were not other diseases, but complications from diabetes. So it was different in that the solutions were all supportive of each other. I only needed one strategy.

I do understand feeling like I will never be anything like I was before. It was a very scary and isolating experience. Of all the crap and garbage that diabetes throws at us, that was my worst time. But I had to keep going to see if I could even get better. I did just like you are doing. I found the things that I could do and did them until I can do more. It was a very incremental comeback for me.

You are right that people can change. Truth is, even people who say that they hate change and won’t change, still change. That is just how life is. Since it is an inevitable part of life I find it easier to embrace it. Resistance is futile. LOL

1 Like

YAY @lotsofshots IS BACK!!!

My day is now made!

Just keep going forward, baby steps add up over time.

WELCOME BACK! We’ve missed you! :smiley:

If I could remember who said this, I would give them credit. In any event, it’s a gem:

“Life is change. You don’t get a choice about that. The only choice you get to make is whether you manage change, or it manages you.” :wink:

Words to live by.

1 Like

It’s good to see you back here, @lotsofshots. Just in time to wish you Happy Mother’s Day!

1 Like

I did not realize I was quoting anyone. This is just what I said last night. All original, or so I thought. But the statement has been true from the beginning of mankind. So I guess that does make sense.

I didn’t interpret your post as a quote, just expressing a universal truth in your own words. Regardless of who says it, it’s reality.

But I loved “Resistance is futile”. :wink:

Welcome back! Very glad to see you here again!

The past few years have been tough ones for me, health-wise, with several new chronic conditions coming onto the scene. I’ve only in the past six months felt like I’m “back on track” as far as having everything under control again and feeling good and being able to take on new challenges.

WB Lots,

It is a joy to hear you are feeling better. How do I deal with chronic pain and diabetes? I do not know we have much of a choice. Most people I know who suffer from RA and diabetes say the same thing, Ra is much worse. In a way, diabetes gives me comfort because I have insulin. I like things I can control better than something like pain or fatigue that I know I cannot control.

1 Like

I admire you for not giving up even though thinks sounded pretty serious there for a long time. I am dealing with complications but I do have a number of chronic illnesses. I’m learning to be very gentle with my body. Walking still works well for me but I am loving yoga. I do yoga with Adrienne on YouTube and find that she is very gentle but I can still get a really good workout.

Arthritis and Diabetes (I have Type 1) do not go well together. Activity, esp. walking, helps to keep my blood glucose in check, so I miss the freedom to be active and walk much. I run too high, too often. My other chronic diseases don’t impact my Diabetes.

1 Like

Our stories are similar. Type 1 diabetes for 33 years. A couple of horse riding accidents and three fractured vertebrae (one crushed) later… three spinal surgeries…a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s that had been missed for a decade or more… and, finally–to put the cherry on top–adrenal exhaustion.

In 2014, I got the Hashimoto’s diagnosis, and that was when I decided to take the reins of my health journey into my own hands, and did my own research. I insisted on natural desiccated thyroid, I went on an insulin pump and CGM, I went off all forms of pain medication, including NSaids, to heal gut permeability, started using CBD for pain and then evolved to a high CBD cannabis tincture, stopped eating gluten, and most grains, in general. Low carb. Intermittant fasting. Wear a fitbit and walk to my goal (varies depending upon whether it’s a good day or a bad day, if you know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue: ) And, of course, supplements.

Slowly but surely, it’s getting better. There are moments when I’m ready to let go of this body and let her rest. But those moments are very small compared to the wonder I am discovering at living a life that I author.

I hope it gives you energy to stay the course, knowing I am walking it with you. Arm in cyber-arm :wink:

1 Like

I would suggest you read the new data on the ketogenic, also known as the low carb high fat , diet and the information on the web about how people with Type 2 are benefitting from it. Watch some you tubes by Dr. ERic Westman, who runs the diet program at Duke Universityt Hospital. You will lose weight like never before, as well. I’ve lost 70 pounds and am almost at goal. It will change your life. My endocrinologist has been a great supporter, as has my PCP. Good luck to you.

1 Like

I see you have Type 1. I am in the honeymoon stage of LADA and I know many Type 1s who do the ketogenic way of life as well. Do not confuse Ketosis with ketoacidosis, as many do.

Good point. The two things are as different as they can be. As Mark Twain said in comparing another pair of similar-sounding words, it’s the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug.

Sounds like you are overcoming some huge challenges!
Don’t know if my situation will help however, I’ve been T1D for 43 years. Currently, zero complications (other than a mild gluten intolerance - not Celiacs) and no additional health issues (carpal tunnel, Kienbock’s and hysterectomy surgeries but they were all unrelated and successful).

Current A1C was 5.5% and is managed with strict diet and MDI (no CGM, no pump). I follow a low carb, sugar-free and vegan diet (low gluten also) and monitor calories. Been able to maintain my weight around 103 and BGs never run higher than 140 (and that’s unusual). I noticed cutting out dairy really made a huge difference.

I workout up to 5 times a week when time permits for about an hour each time. A little cardio (eliptical), some resistance, etc. I also try to drink half my body weight of ounces in water/vitamin water zero each day. Again, everyone is different so this may not work for you. The secret is to find your happy medium which can take a little practice and time but is worth it.

Excellent job so far…good luck and good health!

1 Like

Welcome back lots- I’m glad you’re feeling better. I wondered how you were doing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for your info Piscoesyin!