Getting dressed with an insulin pump

Hi guys! I wrote a story about the difficulties of getting dressed when you wear an insulin pump, and how that’s affected my decision not to wear one.
I’m sure a lot of this will resonate with the ladies in this group, who have to think about this every time they want to wear a skirt or dress, but I know even for men, it isn’t much easier.
Anyway, I hope we can all commiserate on how annoying pumps and sensors can be, and how it feels like that’s all people can see sometimes, and I hope you guys enjoy the piece.

Also, if you’re looking for skirts and dresses that DO have pockets, I put a few things together here: http://www.racked.com/2017/1/23/14340744/dresses-with-pockets-where-to-buy

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about fashion, so these are the only two fashion comments that I always try to make to women.

Whenever I see a woman with a bald head, and it’s covered by a hat or scarf and it’s obvious she is going through chemo, I always say to her, “I love your hairstyle. It makes you look like a survivor.”

And whenever I see a woman with an insulin pump sticking out of her pocket, or clipped to her waistband, or pump tubing traveling up through some clothing, I will always go up to her and say, “I like your pump. It shows how tough you are.”

Hide it if you want to, but I say, show the world. That way they will know how truly awesome you are.

5 Likes

I just started pumping and was looking for ways to discretely carry my pump without relying on pockets. Based on recommendations from other members here, I have the SPIBelt. It’s a slim, soft runners belt that goes around your waist and holds your pump. I wear mine 24/7 under my clothing and never muck about with pockets.

I’ve also seen some pretty slick garter belt devices that hold your pump and don’t mess with the lines of your dress.

5 Likes

My solution is to not wear a dress. Works for me.

3 Likes

Nice article Stephanie.

I don’t wear dresses but I do (did) wear Omnipod and Dex CGM. Interestingly enough, I’ve gone back to Tresiba/MDI/Afrezza combo as I’ve had an unusual amount of pump tear offs in the past month. 3 times playing basketball they’ve gotten torn off and twice taking off clothes. I still wear and could never be without my Dex, but ditching the pump has many benefits for me. I tried to ditch months ago but went back to the pump due to a pesky rise in the afternoons that I was controlling with an increased basal rate. I got frustrated and went back to the OmniPod, BUT, with my 2nd attempt I actually think I’ve got it figured out. We shall see.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the article and I wish you continued success.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I’m glad that ditching the pump seems to be going well this time! Similarly, I’m a big water skier so I worry about dealing with the Omnipod being torn off while doing that, or trying to deal with a tubed pump in that situation. I mean, my sensor falls off sometimes while I change my clothes in the morning so I don’t have a lot of faith in these things to stay put.

I really like how slim that belt is! I’ve never seen something that discreet. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Good piece! thank you for sharing. Yes, it becomes a concern in some of us. Specially because there are no special tips or recommendations for this and other issues on our training (at least in my country). SpiBelt is great, I use mine when exercising to carry telephone, dexcom and glucose gel.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, because I have a different perception of my pump and tubing. I’m grateful to be reminded so gently that clipping my pump on my belt is an easier life than some are able to achieve.

This being Robert Burns’ birthday, I must relate that I have experienced the ‘dress’ problem when I made and wore a great kilt. The well-known kilt stops at the waist, but a great kilt goes to the shoulder. Clipping the pump to my underwear, then donning the kilt seemed a simple plan until I had to look at it. Hm. In the end, I pulled it up the inside of the kilt near the shoulder and clipped it in the folds at about chest level. Still not easy to read, but not as impossible as before. If one were to try this with a dress, one would be quite… lumpy. So, not the same problem you face, but I hope it made some women smile to imagine someone coping with it for the first time.

It’s nuts that clothing designers omit pockets on women’s clothing.

3 Likes

You are obviously not a real Scotsman :wink:

Maybe they could just wear a sporran…

2 Likes

It really is! Women need pockets!

2 Likes

another solution is a bra pocket, I have one of these somewhere and it fits my pump perfectly

I haven’t worn a dress in maybe 20 years or more. I have a clip case that I always use, clipped to my waistband or pocket, always on the right side.

2 Likes

Ii agree. I have given up wearing dresses, except for a wedding or some very special occasion, but I HAVE TO CLIP MY PUMP to my Bra, so that means either going to the restroom to pump or reaching inside my dress, which as a 71 year old may look weird! I haven’t tried the leg bands that hold the pump or cutting a hole in my dress to pass the tubing through…it would still be ovbvious.

2 Likes

I pumped for 14 years and always wore it in my bra. NOT in the cup but cliped right in the middle. I was slightly uncomfortable when I did yoga which was everyday. I teach 18 yoga classes a week. I’m on Tresiba and NEVER want to go back. I couldn’t take the pump just sitting on my waistband bra was my best solution.

I will say a year ago on a dare/bucket list item I took a pole dancing class and fell in love with the practice. It’s truly the hardest workout I’m ever done and most challenging. The pump was just in the way (forget it if I had an omnipod too!). Even if I didn’t pull the infusion set out I was hit the set against the pole and I was stop absorbing. It was actually was pushed me to Tresiba cause I loved it too much to let it stop me from training.

3 Likes

I just asked about this in another post. I used to be an Omnipod user, but had to switch to MiniMed after rolling over to Medicare. I’ve had it for about two weeks, and tubing management has been the biggest learning curve. I’ve also come to the conclusion that this means a lifetime of separates. That’s not really a hardship for me, as I’m retired, but I do still have some dresses that this set-up is just never going to work with, at least not out in public. Fortunately, my most frequently used formal wear is for performances, and it’s a top and a skirt, so with my new Spibelt, it’s doable.

2 Likes

How on earth do you fit so much in the pocket? :wink: I figured I could fit either my phone OR my pump into the pocket on my SPIbelt, but not both. I tried every belt on the rack. None of them had a bigger pocket.

1 Like

i know, it does fit in the spi belt, its the only thing that has saved me…my pump is usually attached with the clip, the other stuff fit perfectly in the spi belt. Sorry I couldnt send a better picture :frowning:

1 Like

Ok, so it’s a hitching post as well as a pocket. That makes sense. Silly me, I hadn’t thought of that, but this is all pretty new to me. So, if I had to, I could put the phone in the pocket, and clip the pump to the belt. Thank you!

1 Like

Haha you inspired me to see how much I can shove into my SPIBelt. My t:slim, dexcom receiver and iphone 6s all fit!

3 Likes

i rarely wear dresses anymore since being on the pump; but, i did come up with my own creation: i would make a little hole in the dress around the waistline for the tubing to go through from the infusion site to the outside of my dress, then i had the tailor strongly stitch around the hole so that the fabric of the dress was enforced. then i just clipped the pump onto the outside of the dress. obviously this is function over form, but i am very proud of my invention.

the other solution i came up with while wearing a dress is to buy yourself a pair of mens briefs; the waistband on the guys undies are strong and enforced. you can just clip your pump onto the waistband and “voila” you’re good to go :wink: the only problem here, which does not occur with my previous invention, is that you must excuse yourself to hike up your dress to program your pump; but hey, no one can see its there and you might prefer that than the other way. i, for one, am a proud pump advocate, so i no longer mind wearing it front and center…also, it makes for good conversation :blush:

4 Likes