Methods of wearing a pump with a dress/skirt

i try clipping it onto the top of my skirt and putting my skirt over it but then i either get a random weird awkward block sticking out or it makes my stomach look larger and sometime it somehow makes me look pregnant (which isn't good for a 16 year old girl lol) i used to try putting my pump in my bra but that's extremely uncomfortable on my boobs for me. i have noticed its less noticeable slightly if i clip is the other way with the screen on my stomach but last time i did that i ended up sweating and breaking my pump and i do have a problem with sweating some days (mostly in summer where i live were it's 112 degree weather all summer) Me and my mom sometimes will find time to sew a little pocket into my skirts but we rarely have time to do that. So question is has anyone found a good wear for wearing a pump with a skirt?

Yes, that odd bulge can be a problem, depending on how form-fitting your skirt and top. I generally just hook it onto the waist and then I swing it around to the side where it is less obvious. If your skirt is loose enough, another option is to wear a spibelt to put it in and that shows less. Finally there are the thigh belts which are also good for dresses; I haven't tried one of those yet, but some women swear by them.

You know what I love to do! I bought a pair of "thinstincts" spanx and tucked my pump on my outer thigh. It stays secure all night and no one can ever find it. The spanx were actually pretty comfortable too.
Try them out!

The dress code for our university -and a while back, school- mandates skirts. I personally hate skirts, and try to avoid them whenever I can not because of my pump but because of the whole hiking up situation. If Im going to school though, I clip them to the waistband which can be annoying because they dig into my stomach every time I bend forward. And if I’m wearing a top that goes a bit below my natural waist line, I end up with the side box issue. I once wore a skirt pump with the help of a thigh thing and that ended in disaster- it sliding down awkwardly as soon as I got out of the car- so I’m not a big fan. Should’ve bought one with a wider strap.

There’s this product though -invisapump- ( http://www.invisapump.com/ ) which attatches a pouch into the waistband with a tiny hook, that leaves your pump dangling on the inside or the outside, whatever you prefer. I’m going to order them and tell you how it goes.

1 Like

What are spanx?

The thigh thing I have came with a long garter to clip to your underwear so it doesn't slide down. I've also put my pump into a baby sock and safety pinned in onto a skirt/dress a bit further down than the waist so it doesn't show. Also works for pinning to a bra, and the cotton sock absorbs sweat.

1 Like

Spanx are elastic underwear...sort of. They're "supposed" to make you look slimmer for a night out on the town.
Spanx Website

1 Like

Yes no problem just take the clip off and put it in your bra around the clevage area as long as your top/dress isn't too low cut. Also easy to access if needed.

there are several discussions on the "how to wear it" issue on our pumping resource page:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Insulin_Pumps

1 Like

I have very well-fitting bras so there is no "in" to put it. But what I sometimes do is just clip it to the center of the bra with the screen facing out. This shows in some fabrics, but usually does not.

As a banker for 28 years, skirts were mandated. Here were my solutions (now retired, o jeans are the daily wear):

1. Buy skirts with pockets (dresses also). Pocket corners can be opened in a dress to thread the tubing from the insert location to the pump secured in the pocket.

2. Make pockets for skirts. There are two ways. I often sew together 2 3" X5" pieces of lining fabric and sew the top edge into the waistband stitching. Unless the dress/skirt is very form fitting (NOT IN MY WORLD!!!!) it will hang inconspicuously between the skirt and body. You can make the "sleeve" longer, so it hangs in the most inconspicuous location. OR

3. Use baby socks--fasten them inside a skirt waistband--I use a small binder clip--same as above.

4. Bra is great also.

Only problem have with these methods (I use them all the time...) is the inability to discreetly access the pump. It was embarrassing when the pump in the bra alarmed in a meeting...

In conclusion, I am a most definitely a pants with pockets girl. I will not buy pants that do not have pockets. It solves all the hide the pump, access the pump easily issues.

For pants and skirts, I just clip it on, though I have a few skirts that are have soft waists where this isn't secure. My jeans are too tight to use pockets but I love tossing it in my cargo pants pockets.

If you can do tight jeans, GO FOR IT, Zoe. Back pockets can work, as it looks like a wallet. I am not thin, so the addition of the clipped pump just adds more lumps to my "shape." I rarely use the clip.

I would put a pump in a tight pocket anytime over other options. I am a pocket girl. It looks more normal--could be a big pack of gum, cigarettes, a handkerchief that was folded really small.... Just more like everyone else. AND in a pocket it can be unobtrusively accessed.

And cargo pants are the best--so many placement opportunities!

I have a couple ideas that work for wearing a dress as well. I will get a bandeau bra that is a size to small. I wear it round my waist and tuck the pump there. I also discovered a wonderful pump camisole (available at Diabetes Mall - John Walsh's website) It is awesome. It is a camisole with a lightweight built-in shelf bra that has a pocket for your pump. Easy access through your neckline (unless its a turtleneck). I find it is very discrete. I tried the thigh-thing but for me it became an ankle thing if I was really active.

I rarely use anything but the clip!There seem to be as many solutions to wearing pumps as everything else in Diabetes!

I am a CPA who wears dresses most days and many are tight. I put my pump into a baby sock and stick it in my underwear. Accuracy appears to work well this way and nothing shows. :slight_smile:

Get an Omnipod.

:)

I no longer will use the thigh thing. Had it on at my son's wedding--not my choice of dress. Was dancing the groom and mother dance (very sedate) and the garter unclipped and started to become an ankle thing. Survived unembarrassed, but threw the gadget away that night.

I sew button holes in the waist of my skirts so i can push my infusion set through, then I wear a belt and clip the pump to the belt. I guess they actually make a leg holster for it available on the medtronic store.

I really like the belts at talley gear. So comfortable! and the bulge is minimum. I use under dresses, over pants or around the waist or hips. You can put it where it is the least obvious.