Getting my dexcom 7+ tomorrow!

My new dexcom 7+ is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I couldn’t be more excited. I’ve resisted the idea of a CGM, but after a middle of the night low bg where I had to be rescued by my daughter (I was completely out of it), I decided I had to have one.

A quick question – I like the idea of putting the sensor on my upper arm, but wonder if that’s possible to do without help from someone else. I’m alone most of the time, so sensor insertion has to be a one-person job for me. Any thoughts are welcome!

Hello Ann, it is great thatyou are going to use a Dexcom. It is a very good CGMS. The manual recommends that you use your abdomen for your sensors. I don’t think I know anyone who has used their arms. I know I would not be able to put one on my arm without help. It took me three weeks before I had any success with my Dexcom. I had a lot to learn. The tips you get from the experienced members here can make a big difference. Be patient and don’t give up if it does not start out well. Let us know what problems you have as you begin.

Richard

Congratulations! I put my sensors on my abdomen following Dexcom’s recommendations. I also have an Omnipod insulin pump, and I once placed a pod on my arm. It was difficult. However, I think I have read posts from Dexcom users who do place the sensor on their arm.

When I found out about CGM and its alarms, I was very eager to get one. Like you, I had a bad low experience. My wife tried to wake me up one Saturday morning and couldn’t. I woke up with two police officers and four EMS technicians in my bedroom and a glucose IV in my hand. Since I got my Dexcom, I have been woken by the alarms; the latest was this morning at 5:55 AM.

I hope you have a good experience. After five months, I still have some problems. Sometimes I get wrong readings, usually falsely indicating I am hyperglycemic. Despite it not working perfectly, I love my Seven Plus and would not give it up. I was bummed tonight because I was changing sensors and was in the two hour startup period. Because I didn’t have continuous monitoring I didn’t go on the treadmill. I am very sensitive to exercise and it causes my BG levels fall rapidly, so I didn’t want to chance going hypoglycemic.

Brad

I agree with you Ann. I don’t think I could get the sensor into my upper arm, but mostly due to lack of flexibility. I could barely do injections in my upper arm either. I have had the Dex for a month or two, and have had success putting the sensor just below the beltline as far back as I can reach (call it the hip/buttock area). I think you will find that everyone’s experience is somewhat different and that you will find a way that works for you. Best of luck. Let us know how it works out. - Allen

Welcome to the world of CGM. I’ve had my Dexcom for almost a year now and wouldn’t consider giving it up. I use two sites, just below my ribs, left and right of center. There’s just enough fat there for the sensor to work, I don’t sleep on my stomach so my readings at night are not affected and I can easily reach the area for insertion. I"m consistently getting 14 days out of each sensor and like Rita, I insert the next sensor about 8 hours in advance of it being needed so I don’t have any down time, and it lets the unit get used to its new environment. I only calibrate when it asks, and never, never on a rapidly rising BG. The data has allowed my to drop my A1C and full point. I hope you have as good an experience with yours, as i have with mine.

I have been on the Dex 7+ for about 3 months. I have used my arms for every sensor but one. I do have a husband to put the sensor in for me but it only takes a minute or two to do. So if you have someone around for even a few minutes it can be quick and easy. I know they may not suggest that area but it works great for me.

I think once you get used to it you will love it as much as the rest of us.

Ann, I used the dex on my abdomen for 6 months and switched to my upper arm 6 weeks ago. I am able to insert the sensor without help. I recommend that you either start out with a location where you can use both hands or have a person on standby.

Hi Ann,

How exciting! I only started on Dex less than a month ago, and it’s already making such a difference in my life, catching lows and highs. (For the past 2 days, I’ve been consistently between 65 and 112, which I don’t know that I’ve ever done before in 27 years of diabetes.) I’d recommend you look through the Archives here for tips and tricks given by other users. These have proven to be invaluable to me!

Per your question, I think it shouldn’t be too hard to get the sensor on your arm. The only really difficulty would be removing the plastic thingie that keeps the plunger from pressing down to insert the syringe. You really need two hands for that…You can probably take it off before you put it on your arm, as long as you’re really careful to keep your hands away from the plunger. (I definitely would recommend trying your belly or your leg for the first couple sensors, though, just so you get the hang of inserting them in places that’re easier to access.)

Good luck! I hope you love it as much as I do…

Thanks for your comments! I am on my 2nd sensor and for the last few days it has been remarkably accurate. That’s something I really don’t expect – I rely on it for the trend data and to catch lows – but it’s a very pleasant surprise when it’s within 2-3 points of my meter. I have been putting the sensor on the side of my waist, and have found that I don’t even notice it there. Bryan, have a great weekend with your Dexcom. There’s nothing like getting a new toy in time for the weekend!

Ann, I just stopped my placement-on-the-arm adventure after 2 months. My experience was not good. A lot of wacky readings, especially during the night. The sensor lives again on my abdomen. Works so much better for me.