Goo when sensor patch removed

I apply my Dexcom and use the medical adhesive over the patch. It collects stuff on the edges, so when I remove the sensor I have a gummy black oval on my skin.

Tried alcohol, oil. Even scraping did not work. Just used Goo Gone, and it worked.

What do you do? Goo Gone seems over the top.

I use Remove Adhesive Remover Wipes

1 Like

With either alcohol preps or baby oil on a cotton ball, the adhesive does come off. But I do have to scrub a bit, I periodically use UniSolve but it isn’t cheap and smells like gasoline.

We’ve used De-solv-it since my daughter started on Dexcom 9+ years ago. It’s cheap, works great, is easy on her sensitive skin, & travels well in a small pump spray bottle we bought at the local dollar store. I have been able to buy it at some Walmarts, & also ACE hardware.

Unisolve is a great product.

UNISOLVE. [20 characters…}

I don’t get the same kind of heavy residue with my Libre sensors, but there is often some adhesive left behind. I used to use Unisolve, but more recently, I’ve just dusted some talcum powder over the sticky area. Everything wears off in a few days and nothing sticks to my clothing. If it were an appearance issue, say at the swimming pool, I would probably revert to the Unisolve.

Uni-Solve for me too. Only thing that kinda sucks about it is the smell. Soap takes it off though.

I have plenty of alcohol (91% and 70%–not drinking!) in the house, so I soak a baby washcloth with it and rub my hands with that, to get either Skin Tac, or Unisolve.

Bought some Unisolve last night. Thanks!

1 Like

I purchased goo gone medical, but I have noticed a lot of people recommended baby oil, especially if you have some around the house.

The transparent dressing that came with medtronic sensors was disgusting. It left a ton of goo all over the xmitter. I had to use alcohol and rub it hard to get it all off. that isn’t an issue at all with the Dexcom, as there is no need to place any type of dressing over the xmitter and what is used doesn’t leave a gooey mess on my skin anyway. Shame on Medtronic for the materials they use and the need to tape OVER the xmitter. BAD design, IMO.

I use Hypafix and Opsite Flexifix on my infusion sets and sensors. I use Remove adhesive remover to remove it, but it often still leaves a lot of stickiness and gunk behind. I’be found that running a cotton makeup remover pad under some water and running that over the infusion/sensor site works great at getting all the goop off.

I use Smith and Nephew UNI-SOLVE - Skin Tac makes a similar product.

I use Smith and Nephew Uni-Solve to remove my Tandem infusion sets and the adhesive left behind. I use Weiman Product’s GOO GONE Bandage & Adhesive Remover to remove the Dexcom furnished Overlay I use to ensure my CGM sensor stays put for the duration. The Dexcom Overlay is very effective, but once removed it leaves a thick residual layer of adhesive behind. This GOO GONE product is very effective at removing the adhesive, yet is extremely gentle to your skin. The best price I found for it was at Target. It is only available online, but if your have it delivered to your local Target store you can avoid the shipping costs.