Good Day/Long Night...Still Happy

Yesterday, I met with my pump consultant this time to get me on the CGM. We met at the PX on post, which is a very public area. I took out all of my little gadgets while I waited for Tim the pump man to meet me. The display of alcohol swabs, carrier, senserter, and introducer needle all over the little cafeteria table I could only wonder what people were thinking. To someone who is not diabetic or does not know a diabetic it may have looked like I was up to no good, especially on an army post :wink: Finally, My pump man arrives. He starts instructing me on what to do. Wipe the site, place introducer needle in senserter, hold senserter at 45-degree angle, press hard on button, and wait five minutes before pressing in the transmitter. All of this instruction seemed somewhat overwhelming for me. I thought how in the world am I going to remember all of this. After about an hour of instruction, I went on my merry way home. An hour or so goes by and I finally start getting my sugar readings. I looked at my pump at 4:15 then 4:17, and then 4:18 knowing damn well I only get a reading every five minutes, but my excitement made every single minute seem like 5 minutes in my head. I was totally in love with my new toy. I thought, you wonderful gadget you, where have you been all my life? Dinnertime rolled around I had a juicy steak and some cornbread. I love Southern food so yummy. I again looked at my pump repeatedly. I enjoyed seeing the little line on the graph go up and then down and then up again. It was awesome. Around 7:30, I went for a walk with my doggy Hollie. We did our usual 40-minute walk around the neighborhood. It was a great evening nothing could have gone wrong at the moment. I felt like I was finally protected from the sudden sugar crashes that I am known for getting. Hollie and I strolled around the neighborhood meeting new people and new doggies (It is moving time in the army). About 8:15, we were home. As soon as I opened my front door, my pump started making a horrible beeping sound. BEEP.BEEEEEEP.BEEP.BEEP…It was very loud. I thought, man, I am glad this did not happen when I was talking to my new neighbor. Who knows what she might have thought, and I did not want to go into a 20-minute tirade on my pump. I right away confirmed my low with a meter prick and sure enough 70. I had a little bit of juice and continued on my evening. I was so thankful my new friend warned me before my sugar got even lower. Before, I would not notice a sugar low until it was 23. Well, of course bedtime came around. I checked my sugar and it was sitting at a nice 116. Off to bed I went. An hour later, my pump woke me up again…BEEP.BEEEEEEP.BEEP.BEEP…75. Ok, quick chug of juice and back to bed I went. Two hours later BEEP.BEEEEEP.BEEP.BEEP. Crash again. 72.Ok, this time I had two pieces of toast with PB and a little bit of milk. Well that was not enough because at 3:45, my damn pump woke me up again, and this time it woke my husband up too. He was not pleased. Before, my husband would jump out of bed and get me juice. Hell! He would get me the entire fridge, but now after seven years of dating two of those married the honeymoon is over. He told me to hurry up and get something to eat. He had to be up in two hours. I thought about hitting him with my pillow, but I could understand why he was annoyed. I again got some juice and went to bed. Well, I had two more sugar lows before I had to be up for work. At 8am, I got up and got ready to start my day. On the way out of my house, I noticed a little note on the coffee table. It was from my husband. It said I’m sorry I was a jerk. I love you. Maybe, the honeymoon is not over :slight_smile:

I AM HAPPY WITH MY SENSOR, BUT I HOPE I GET SLEEP TONIGHT.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the sensor. I’ll be curious to hear more-- keep us posted!!

Also it sounds to me like the honeymoon is NOT over :slight_smile: My husband sometimes jumps out of bed, other times doesn’t wake up, or just mumbles something. I guess the beeping is a little more annoying than just waking him up and asking for help.

My policy is above 55, I can make it to the fridge; below 55, I wake him up. We sleep on a loft, so I imagine someday sliding down that latter. :slight_smile:

hello fellow army wife:) ft Polk…and as we all know army bases of slot of lookie loo’s anyway:) I am curious to see how the cgm works/:slight_smile: I am am thinking about investing in one! Did triicare putchase the cgm for you? Sorry so many questions. LOL!! Your honeymoon isn’t over I have been married for almost 5 yrs. And I am still Honeymooning:)

GO ARMY!!! Well, I can definitely say I like the CGM and it is just as accurate as my glucose meter (Maybe a ten-point difference). Having the CGM is a lifesaver for me. I was not noticing my sugar lows until it was too late. I made sure the people at Tricare were aware of that. Tricare paid for everything. I had to call and nag for a month, but it was covered. I hope you decide to get one. I think it helps a lot.

wow!!! Yeap! Hooah!! How did you manage tricare paying?? It took me 3 months and 1 appeal just to get them to pay for my Omnipod system. I also have a dog named Hollee! Sorry for all the type o’s but I am on my phone and I can’t catch them as

My pump consultant first told me that Tricare was approving the CGM case by case. He said the fact that I couldn’t notice my sugarlows would probably get me approved. I guess he was right. I just called the Tricare claims office once a week to check on the status. I think everytime I called they asked me the same question. Why do I need the CGM? I told them because I don’t notice my sugarlows anymore. I guess that’s all it took.