HabitNu for people with type 2

Hi all,

This announcement about a new smartphone-based program came across my desk and I thought I’d share. I like that it’s based on the science of changing habits, which we all know can be really hard to do. The word “prevention” in relation to diabetes always makes me uncomfortable, but I corresponded with the woman behind HabitNu, Sindhu Rajan, and she assured me that they realize most diabetes can not be prevented, and use it because HabitNu was build upon findings of the Diabetes Prevention Program study by the National Institutes of Health. Sindhu herself has a history of type 2 diabetes in her family, and I know she developed this program carefully, and for the right reasons.

So, here’s what it is:

HabitNu is a smartphone technology solution to empower individuals to manage or prevent Type 2 diabetes.

One in ten Americans has Type 2 diabetes, and one in three has pre-diabetes. You don’t necessarily develop Type 2 diabetes if you are pre-diabetic. For some pre-diabetic people, however, early treatment can actually return blood glucose levels to the normal range, reducing cardiac risk.

Managing or preventing diabetes can be chaotic and confusing. Successful diabetes management or prevention requires awareness, planning, and support for forming good habits. HabitNu is based on the Diabetes Prevention Program curriculum developed by Centers for Disease Control.

The Diabetes Prevention Program study by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) proved that diabetes can be successfully prevented by lifestyle modification. However, the benefits of the program are currently limited to a few individuals in a small number of locations. HabitNu is designed to make the benefits of the Diabetes Prevention Program study available to anyone around the world.

HabitNu presents lessons from the Diabetes Prevention Program as 3-4 minute videos, viewable on any smartphone, tablet or computer, and takes participants through a 16-week curriculum. During the 16 week programs, participants are taught important concepts, encouraged to count carbs, and walk at least 6000 steps a day. HabitNu can share our users’ health information with their health care professionals if the users choose.

HabitNu program is for 16 weeks. Research shows that 16 weeks of discipline will help form new habits.

HabitNu is also beneficial for people with Type 1 diabetes. A limited version of HabitNu is available in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. HabitNu’s 16-week program starts on the first and third Monday of every month. You can watch the demo at HabitNu Diabetes Prevention and Management Program from Prana Diabetes on Vimeo and sign up for the program at www.pranadiabetes.com.

1 Like

@EmilyC can you guess that I really like this program? Thanks for sharing!

@EmilyC I am curious. I am always seeking to better understand what a speaker is communicating as I am listening and I would like to better understand the word “prevention” as you understand it.

I ask this question because there are several definitions of prevention in the clinical setting. So that I might better understand would you be willing to tell me how you define “prevention” as it relates to type 2 diabetes?

Thanks.

Jo

It is a great question- Prevention generally means halting the progression of pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes. But there are several examples of people who managed to bring back their glycated hemoglobin (HbA1C) levels from diabetic to non-diabetic levels with life style modification. So it is possible to reverse diabetes.

@Sindhu. Thanks Sindhu. I understand agree. However, in the clinical world “prevention” has several definitions. Primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention.

I am seeking to understand how those on the forum operationalize “prevention” so that when I am speaking with someone living with diabetes we are speaking on the same wave length. I know when I am speaking with a clinician regarding a particular patient, depending on the stage of the patient’s disease state, prevention has a defined meaning.

The prevention that you describe above is what we call in the clinical world “primary prevention” defined as limiting the spread of illness to previously unaffected patients or populations.

“Prevention” which is different from “primary prevention” through the eyes of a clinician is the forestallment of harm, disease or injury. The person has not yet show signs or symptoms of disease.

In my case, I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, yet I am taking preventive measure so as not to acquire the condition.

A person with impaired facing glucose or impaired glucose tolerance desires to limit "the spread of illness [that is the full acquisition of clinically diagnosed diabetes according to clinical guidelines] to previously unaffected patients or populations. (Signs and symptoms are present)

Once I know how a person defines “prevent” I believe there would be better understanding between the patient and the provider.

This app seems great in theory. I wonder how well the acceptance will be by diabetics. From our experience, the nutrition education can get lost on some diabetics. Making health meal plans and grocery lists, without fire hosing them with nutrition theory, seems to get the most dietary compliance.

I will certainly check this app out in detail. And add it to our resources page. Thanks for pointing it out.

Best,
Frank