Thoughts on the CDC Diabetes Prevention Program

I keep seeing more and more hype on the CDC Diabetes prevention program, a friend that works there sent me the booklets and all the complimentary info that goes along with it. But in reality, to me, this seems like a very long program. 16 sessions occur over six months in a classroom-style setting. Who has the time to attend all the meetings?

Has anyone here taken the course?

I haven’t seen or taken the course, but I will say that IF you are trying to be serious about taking the steps needed to prevent moving from so-called pre-diabetes to full-blown T2 diabetes, then it’s worth the time. Further, it may be better to spread it out this way because the lifestyle/diet changes that are required are going to be significant for most.

Remember that for many, finding out about diabetes is akin to drinking from the proverbial firehose - an awful lot of stuff gets thrown at you in a hurry and then poof - you’re on your own.

Also, the success rates listed seem pretty phenomenal (maybe too good to be true?). If they really hold up, then WOW(!) that’s great.

I know the YMCA has a “pre-diabetes” program for some time. I was at YMCA for a different program, but was talking to one of the instructors. She said it appeared to be helping many, and follow-up surveys were positive.

It’s too bad the Y has hitched their wagon to the outdated ineffective low-fat high-carb way of eating.

Healthy Eating – Eating smaller portions, reducing fat in your diet and discovering healthier foods can help prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes Opens a new window.

Mindful eating and regular exercise should help, however.

2 Likes

I did a quick search on the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program, MDPP. On this Medicare site it only mentioned dietary intervention in a non-specific way.

The clinical intervention consists of a minimum of 16 intensive “core” sessions of a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) approved curriculum furnished over six months in a group-based, classroom-style setting that provides practical training in long-term dietary change, increased physical activity, and behavior change strategies for weight control. [emphasis added]

I know the major diabetes charity in the UK, Diabetes UK, has been promoting an intervention that plainly promotes low carb eating as a reasonable choice. Here’s the DUK position statement on low-carb diets for people with diabetes.

I know it took a persistent and controversial effort led by the diabetes patient community to let this program go forward in the UK. Clinicians and other stakeholders in the status-quo did not easily adopt this decision. I think the UK is ahead of our public health diabetes initiative in that regard.