Happy Diaversity to me

Four years ago today my life changed. That’s the day I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Since then, things have changed. I’ve had highs and I’ve had lows. I (literally) was looking at a serious complication and came back from the brink. I’ve changed the way I eat – mostly. I’ve changed the way I exercise – somewhat. But what I haven’t changed is who I am at my core. Diabetes doesn’t define me. But it is my constant companion and it has changed many of my daily habits.

Listening to Dr. Bill Polonsky today was like getting my own little Diaversary present. I felt reassured and validated in how I manage my life with diabetes. Of course I would, because I agree with a lot of what he had to say. Especially about “It’s only a number.” “It’s not realistic to expect my BG to always be between 70 & 120.” “It’s not realistic to expect to be compliant 100% of the time.” “It’s okay to take a little (controlled) vacation from diabetes.”

In the end, my mantra has become “Keep calm and check your BG.”

Cheers

I love your mantra. That is good advice to all T2's. I read that as, know what your dealing with and do what's necessary.

It's good advice for everyone! Not happy you're in the club, but so glad you're HERE!!

Yup Stemwinder, you read that write. If I can keep calm and check my BG, then I can make a choice about what to do next.

Thanks Pup. *blush*

I had someone call BS (and I don't mean blood sugah) on my saying that diabetes doesn't define me. After all, look where I work! My response is that I've always been drawn to worthy causes. Before this I worked in/on public education. I have two school-aged children. Now it's diabetes.

It's only when you join the "club" that you realize HOW MANY already belong to it!
So true that we are NOT defined by this condition...we are SO MUCH MORE complex than that!!! How can we possibly define ourselves by one word!!