Hello Diaversary

Five years ago today, I was diagnosed with diabetes. A lot has changed so since then. Some good, some bad, and some worse. My “numbers” are mostly better, though, with all that stress I’ve had, I worry about my blood pressure more now. Theoretically, my overall health is better, though taking insulin has put some unwanted weight on me. I eat more healthy food, but I don’t feel as “well” as I did pre-diagnosis. My eyesight is slightly better, my hearing is not.

I have a better job than I did then, though worse insurance. I’ve lost some people that were very close to me, including my mother (recently). I gained new “soon-to-be” relatives in two of my kids’ fiancee- they will be getting married soon - my son in two weeks, my daughter in the fall. I’ve lost track of some friends and made new ones.

All-in-all, it’s been a very mixed five years with diabetes playing too much of a part of my life and taking too much time away from things I should a bff would rather be doing.

Happy diaversary? I don’t know - it doesn’t seem like cause to celebrate right now. So, ‘Hello Diaversary’ - I’ll leave it as five years down, so just another five years until there’s a cure. Right?

7 Likes

Sorry about losing your Mom, Thas. That’s never easy. I lost my parents in the late '90s and I think about them often. The memories are comforting.

You were diagnosed on your birthday??! That’s a rude gift. Congratulate yourself about the fine job you’ve done with addressing the reality of your diabetes. You’ve effectively how useless long-term denial is.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thanks @Terry4. I’ve still quite some way away from dealing with my mother’s death. They say time heals.

And yes, I was diagnosed on my birthday. Confirming blood work was done at a lab the day before. I have had better birthday gifts that that, definitely!

I suppose, though I was never given any advance warning signs - no worrisome blood tests, no symptoms. I’ve been doing “everything right” for some time and felt as good or better than I remember feeling in my life. I’ve got good numbers these days, through hard work and (perhaps OCD) vigilance and management, but I have not re-captured that feeling of well-being that I had the day before my diagnosis five years ago. I don’t know if I ever will.

Hola Thas,

Please receive my condolences and a warm hug.

We do “celebrate” my son’s Diaversary; I feel we have to be grateful for an early diagnosis and the fabulous people we have met since. My son’s diaversary is June 2 also National Donut day, so it’s a great excuse to eat some donuts. Hahaha!

Healthy Diaversary and Happy Birthday to you @Thas!

1 Like

Condolences on the loss of your mother. It is hard to lose a parent. I lost my dad 30 years ago.

I do not know my diaversary so I do not mark its passing. Not knowing this date doesn’t bother me a bit. I, like you, do not feel it’s a day worth celebrating.

1 Like

So sorry about your mom. :frowning: I was diagnosed on my moms birthday almost 32 years ago. Having a diaversary soon. I didn´t feel like celebrating either till some years ago when I decided I needed a party for no particular reason, just living and have tried to celebrate life instead of a “diagnosis” date :slight_smile: warm hugs!!!

1 Like

Thas:
Thanks for sharing your story, experiences & perspectives. I always appreciate your posts.
Stay well!

1 Like

Sorry about your Mom. It’s tough to watch parents age and pass. Keep up the good work with your diabetes.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your Mom. Its the most toughest moments to lose parents and all the memories start encircling your head.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Oh, and those questions you wish you had asked about the past. Sorry for your loss Thas, many years later I still feel a keen sense of loss on Mothers Day.

Hello,
For me, using insulin to control my blood glucose (b/g), I need to control my net carb intake in order to control my weight. If I am gaining weight, I cut back more on my net carbs. If I want to lose some weight, I cut back even more. I always make my insulin doses secondary to controlling my net carbs. I personally feel that “covering” high net carbs (and the resulting high b/g) with high insulin doses is a big mistake.
-gw

I’ve been dramatically cutting my carbs for more than the past year, but, though I did lose some of the weight I gained early on, I still have quite a long way to go and have been making zero additional progress. Frustrating, really.