Has anyone had a BG of under 20?

Probably.

I registered a BG of 19 when I was about 12 years old. I remember thinking it was funny that I was so low and didn’t feel it, was walking around fine, etc. My mom was frantic, yelling at me to sit down and chug orange juice, haha. If it ever happened again, I’d know better and be scared!

I tested at 21 today right after a workout! I was completely coherent and walked out to the kitchen for a snack. I even retested a couple of times because I couldn’t believe it could be that low! I was able to carry on a normal conversation as well. Glad I was at home when this happened! I have to test 6-10 times a day and always before driving.

Back in 1992, my family and I witnessed a woman having a seizure in a restaurant. We overheard that she was a diabetic and (after the seizure) my paramedic dad tested her blood sugar before the ambulance arrived. It registered 17. That meter was probably a One Touch II. It was a long time ago, but that sounds right.

I’ve never registered below 30, personally. Never lost consciousness or seized due to a low either though.

I have had a low of 19 and was standing up talking in the ER ( though not coherently). The few times I have passed out or had a seizure from a low, I was in the teens or twenties. Get sick and act crazy in the 30’s, but do not pass out.

God Bless,
Brunetta

I Registered a 9 on an EMT’s meter back in 2005, lowest so far. Long story behind that event.

I’ve been 19, allegedly. Painful. I was drenched in sweat, my mind was racing and I felt paranoid. I never wish to repeat it, although I’ve been low since, not that low, and had similar reactions. I just feed the need and end up at 250 the next morning.

When I was about 11, I had my 2 lowest readings (that I am aware of!). I was on MDI and went to go “babysit” for the afternoon. I completely forgot to stop and eat my snack since I spent the afternoon chasing after a 2yr old boy!

I went home and blood tested for dinner. I got 20mg/dL. Mom thought I was “playing with my machine” as I had just figured out how to change the language, etc on the meter. She sent me back upstairs to blood test again. I brought my meter down with a blood sugar of 11mg/dL. This was on whatever OneTouch machine was around back in '93. I had no symptoms and was completely coherent (why Mom thought I had screwed up the meter!).

I understand grabbing the apple. I have an index card that I keep in my meter telling me what to eat when I’m low (the low brain does not always make the best food choices). I have been known to go after the chocolate bar that I have been craving for weeks or a big bowl of pasta instead of the fruit juice bottle that is sitting right next to me (which I know is what I should be drinking!). I’m glad you are ok!

I woke up on the floor of a grocery store years ago…surrounded by food, but aparently didn’t think of eating/drinking anything! The EMT guys didn’t even bother to test till I was awake. I had an ID bracelet, so I’m assuming thats how they got there!

1. I had lots of seizures mostly when I was a Kid/Teenager. We didn’t have meters back then but I’m guessing my blood sugar was below 20 lots of times. :smiley:

2. Approximately 20 years ago, I was in the Hospital for rest from RA and Family. I was unconscious when the young Nurse walked in at about 7:00 a.m. to check my sugar, vitals, etc. If she spoke, I didn’t hear her. She must have thought that I was just sleepy. I remember waking up for about 3 seconds to see her giving me my full dose of Insulin in my left arm which didn’t matter to me since I just passed out again.

Next thing I knew, I had left my body and was floating upwards. Cool!

Other stuff happened but that was the time that I lost many of my memories and experienced the worst headache and heartache ever. I looked in the Nurses log book later the next day to see what the heck had happened to me. I was shocked to see that my blood sugar was 1.5(27mg) when she gave me my Insulin that morning. She also wrote that she had asked me if I was going to eat my breakfast afterwards and I had nodded, Yes”. Amazing that a Person can answer a question when they are unconscious.

Anyways, my sugar level after that severe overdose was 00.0(0mg). Since that time I’ve tried my Best to not become an overnight Patient in a Hospital.

1. About 10 years ago, I had a long afternoon doing exercises with my Physio’s help. She was also teaching a Physio Student about the different exercises for People with RA and the disease, etc. I had agreed to the extra time to help them out. I felt Really tired after they left so I tested at 4.2(77mg), had an apple/strawberry fruitcup and 2 graham crackers, then went to lie down. I was found unconscious and woke up sometime later in an ambulance and threw up(they had given me some tubes of gel), then passed out again. The Paramedic had told my Hubby that my blood sugar was 0.8(15 mg).

Yes, actually I’ve had the same thing happen and I’m on VERY tight control…it happens, what are you going to do. I’ve had the same thing happen…I’ve had a 35 reading before and one that said LO, so I’m assuming it had to be below 35. What I find really bizarre is that when I first became diabetic I felt every reaction coming on, I would shake and feel really weird. Now after 35 years I practically don’t feel anything at all, sometimes a little dizziness when I go to stand up. What are ya gonna do…

this thread makes me really want a cgm…lol

i’ve been in the 20’s…i don’t know if i’ve been lower :frowning:

I’m 45 and I had to fight a very irritable 19 year old down the hall way of a hotel after she had tested 20. She was rude but conscious and I made her get her sugar up. She was new to the pump and not taking care of her self. It was the night of Fat Tuesday and she had had a fair amount to drink the night before that reading. She also still had an IV hole from screwing up 2 weeks earlier. She is a Type I diabetic that is thin, and I am a type two fat insulin dependant. She is darn lucky I was there because I had to fight her to test, to walk, to eat. I’m not patting myself on the back but she was so awful I’m afraid a normy would have told her to ((~.&&

I hope this helps.

Went to a class and they suggested squeeze frosting. I find it nauseates me less and works quick and long.

I’ll take that one though I can’t remember NOTHING about it but my family told me I started to seize. I got down to 11 at one time. I have NO warning at all so I can do that at anytime. This time I would up in the hospital for 4 days and the insulin drip and such.

And don’t forget the dependancy of other’s to help you. I’m a pretty independant person I hate all the stuff your talking about there but the dependancy of other’s help REALLY gets me!

I REALLY don’t like it and will argue with EVERYONE when they say, “Please check your bs” After THEY do it My kids, husband, and such were probably right I was low but boy can I argue with ppl then. I kinda resent it!

Thank you I did not know about the protein afterwards. You know after a bad low you feel like you’ve been beat up.

i think it was about twice . i can say i was very scared , i was losing my hearing and sight very fast
all i could do was to drink oj and alot of it. after it was all over my surgar was very high i must of drank too much OJ
but it seemed the more i was drinking the lower it was going down i think if i could of calmed down alittle
i would’nt of drank so much to get it very high. mine usally go to the 30’s befor i realize i need to get something
in me and fast i’m having so much trouble keeping my surgars even . start at a low dose and if they stay at a
high number or a low take 2 to 3 more or less of your medicine do this every every 3 days and do check 6 TIMES ADAY.
my doctor say’s to ( write down your morning numbers for 3 days then add up and divide by 3 that will give you your
total if it is greater than 140 add 3 units less than 100 subtract 3 units . 100-140 no change that’s if your on insulin.
well take care kerri

Cat,
I had a 17 and was still connected mentally. Actually I tested twice to make sure. My riding pals think I am Yogi bear because I carry a picnic basket with me wherever I go.

Try a Dexcom7. Great devise can save a day and maybe a life. I wear mine daily.

Cheers,
Bill Carlson