Having major surgery on 11/3/10 and trying to control blood sugar in time so I will heal

After 13 years of suffering I am finally having a major surgery to put an end to what has been a monthly nightmare. On Nov. 3, 2010 I am having a full hysterectomy including my uterus, cervix, ovaries, etc. because I was diagnosed with very early cancer cells in those organs. I have always just silently suffered with things in my life instead of facing them headon and getting them taken care of. I dont know why. I have done this with my female health and with my diabetes. For the past few months I have been trying to get my blood sugars down and lose weight without a lot of success but I am here on this site and trying to learn as much as I can about living as a diabetic. I cannot ignore it, it will not go away, I am going to face it headon. I wish for prayers so that I can make it through this surgery and heal without complications. After I heal up completely, I am going to tackle this diabetes with even more strength and hopefully get it under control so that I am controlling it and its not controlling me. Thanks for reading.

I will say a special prayer for your complete and speedy recovery. It sounds like you have seen the error of ignoring your health problems. Facing them is the only way to deal with them. You seem to know that now. You will succeed !!!

I just had major surgery – though not as major as yours – back in July. Mine was a total knee replacement. I was very concerned about the impact of my diabetes on the surgery and vica versa. Before going into surgery, I talked to my endo about how to monitor insulin while in the hospital – taking into account the fasting the night before and that I would be on a liquid diet for a while after the surgery. I had a bit of a time waiting for the incision to heal but I kept a close eye on it for infection and saw the surgeon’s nurse a few times just to take a look at the wound. Ultimately, I ended up taking an antibiotic starting a few weeks after surgery just as a precaution. But all in all no real problems. I think just the fact that you are already committed to healthier choices is going to serve you well. You have my best for a speedy recovery.

I hope that your surgery goes OK and you won’t have to spend too much time in the hospital! One thing I would suggest is that you take your meter to the hospital with you. They don’t test enough in the hospital and if you have your own meter, you can’t test whenever you want.

My thoughts and prayers are with you on your surgery…I pray for a speedy recovery.

Your BG will definitely take a big hit during your surgery as the stress from it cranks it sky high mine went over 1200mg/dl the first surgery I had according to the doctor when I asked, but as long as your surgeon and there team knows about your diabetes they can keep a close watch on it during the procedure. I have had three major surgeries and was surprised by the doctor telling me I healed pretty quickly and completely as I always had it it my mind that I would take so much longer to heal from non diabetics but it just wasn’t the case. You do need to take control of it though because nobody else will if you don’t so please yes face it head on and get this monster under control for yourself, your family and all of your long distance family here :slight_smile: Our prayers and best wishes will be there for you on that scary day.

I remember when I had my surgery for 2 lbs of fibroids my BS was on a roller coaster. But I don’t remember being to affected by it. They just checked it and gave me shots of insulin. I think you should be more worried about the movement in your mid section afterwards. I was climbing the steps of Hearst castle afterwards which pissed my doctor off. I had limited movement for about a month. I don’t remember being in pain…

Best of luck. I had my surgery in 03. Best thing I ever did in my life. My A1C wasn’t great and I healed incredibly fast. Take your time and listen to the Drs about not lifting stuff. Also beware of pushing shopping carts (uses same muscles). I wore my pump through surgery. We reduced the rate slightly to avoid any lows. I was in less pain the day after the surgery than the week leading up to it. I hope you have similar results.

I would recommend having someone you trust in the hospital with you who can test your blood sugar and keep an eye on you during recovery. I had a terrible experience a couple years ago after a surgery in which the IV after surgery was giving too much insulin and I went very low.
I am sure it is rare, and I am sure everything will go well, but I would just wanted to pass along the shared experience. Good luck!

You are in my thoughts and prayers. You are a woman of courage for facing this head on. I had my surgery a long time ago. Healing was a slow process but after the 2nd day I did begin to feel a bit better each day. You will be tired. Follow your instincts. Give yourself time. I have never regretted this. There are changes ahead for you. It is a new chapter and one that you will find new hope in. Bless your heart. With loving thoughts, DeniseC

One of the best things I did before my surgery is check out http://www.hystersisters.com/. They gave me a great idea of what to expect and the support I needed. I think there is even a subgroup of diabetics. These folks are funny and very supportive - kind of like this group :slight_smile:

A recent study shows that they can predict who will likely get infections by looking at their pre surgery blood sugar levels. Diabetics who have surgery with blood sugar over 100 are very prone to infections.

I’d seriously try to get my blood sugar down and keep it down for the surgery and the entire hospital stay. You should talk to your surgeon about this. They need to keep it down but at a safe level. It should be very closely monitored.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_103545.html

http://surgery.about.com/b/2010/09/25/high-blood-sugar-glucose-levels-increase-risk-after-surgery-infection-after-surgery.htm

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Surgery/GeneralSurgery/22331

Patients with postoperative glucose levels of 111 to 140 mg/dL were 3.61 times more likely to develop an infection, and the odds were 12.31 times greater for those with glucose levels higher than 220 mg/dL, Ata and co-authors reported in the September issue of the Archives of Surgery.

http://www.physorg.com/news204222345.html

“…serum glucose levels higher than 110 milligrams per deciliter were associated with increasingly higher rates of post-surgical infection,”

Good luck with your surgery, and recovery.

And hystersisters is a great website!

I woke up during surgery too. Next time I’ll ask for brainwave monitoring to help prevent that from happening. Hopefully, there will never be a next time, but you never really know.

The sooner you can get up and move around the better, as it clears the drugs from your system and also helps the lymph fluid move better. Lymph fluid fights infection and it depends on muscle movement to get from one place to another, so lying in bed is the worst thing you can do. Get up and move around as soon as its safe (the dizziness has passed). Debb is right, get and up get going!

sending hugs and prayers your way!!

Hope the worst is over, now recovery can start.

I hope you are recovering quickly and that everything went very well.

I wanted to know how was the surgery? How is everything going?

Have only just seen this. Praying that the surgery went well and that you are on the way to recovery from what is pretty radical surgery. Better out than in but you might not think that at first. Praying that you will have made it and that you are now trying hard with the diabetes. It is a fickle condition and the thing to do is to keep a pattern and take notes of what you have been doing and eating. What you ate two days ago may be the reason why the sugars are up (or down) now. Stress, illness and infection can also cause highs. Something I am learning is that my morning highs may not be to do with what I ate before I went to bed but rather that I have had a hypo sometime during the night and not woken. Highs generally follow lows.

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask. It is rather a game of experimentation. Nobody is the expert but someone might have learned something along the way that helps/hinders them that someone else has not thought of. And do not forget, we are all one family, in Christ and in one condition!

Please let us know how you are. God's blessings on you and looking forward to hearing from you soon.