Servings: 4-6

INGREDIENTS

• 1 knob fresh turmeric root
  • 1-2 pieces dried kombu seaweed
  • 2 quarts filtered water
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or lard)
  • 1 yellow onion (diced)
  • 2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1-2 delicata squash (cut in half, seeds removed)
  • ½ pound pastured ground bison
  • 1-3 garnet yams (diced)
  • 3 stalks celery (diced)
  • 1 cup pickled beets in pickling liquid
  • 1-3 drops essential oil* (suggested: fennel, cardamom, lemongrass, juniper berry)
  • *1-2 tablespoons fresh herbs can be used in place of essential oils

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Peel and roughly chop fresh turmeric.
  2. Combine turmeric, kombu, and water in medium sauce pot over high heat.
  3. Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan or stock pot.
  5. Add the onion and salt, let soften and brown, stirring occasionally.
  6. While the onion is browning, cut the squash into 1/2″ thick semi-circles.
  7. Once the onion is nicely browned, add ground bison and stir to distribute and crumble.
  8. Add yam, squash, celery and the hot turmeric-kombu stock to cover (do not add pieces of kombu or turmeric).
  9. Bring back to simmer and cook until veggies are tender, about 15 minutes.
  10. Add pickled beets with pickling liquid and essential oils (or fresh herbs).

Notes: Extra turmeric-kombu broth can be cooled and stored for up to 7 days. Leftover stew can be cooled and stored for up to 5 days.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Per Serving (4): Calories: 197; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 6mg; Sodium: 1257mg; Potassium: 410mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 4g

Nutrition Bonus: Vit A: 112%; Vit C: 20%; Iron: 11%

2 Likes

Interesting recipe. Some of the ingredients may be foreign and difficult for some people. Just as a general rule you can substitute dry turmeric with about 1 teaspoon for an inch of fresh. A knob could be of various sizes but probably 2-3 teaspoons is good.

Kombu is a type of brown algae and is used to provide Umami in dishes. It can be found at places like Whole Foods and asian markets. If you can’t find it you can also something like nori which is a seaweed more commonly found in markets, it has become a popular snack. You could also use bonito flakes (although I would skim out the flakes and discard after boiling). Another thing you might use instead is fish sauce, but for some that might be an “acquired” taste.

If you can’t find delicate squash you can probably use acorn or butternut, but you may need to peel them. You could also use sweet potatoes in place of garnet yams. And remember pickled beets are not canned bets (nor are they harvard beets). Pickled beets have sugar, vinegar and pickling spices.

ps. The tumeric-kombu broth is what is called Dashi, an umami broth central to japanese cooking. You can reuse it almost anywhere you would add water or broth to a dish.

1 Like

i did try this for dinner. & it is good to me it was. but my mom did not like it.

Wonder if I could use kangaroo, bison ais a bit scarce here?

1 Like

I have to also say, while tumeric (or the active ingredient curcumin) has been possibly found to be beneficial, I really wouldn’t call anything “Healing” even chicken soup. And I suspect that the tumeric, particularly if in powdered form, would turn the stew quite yellow. That would mean that your guests wouldn’t be able to tell whether you used kangaroo or bison.

2 Likes

Brian, your mother is crying in her grave (if she is no longer with us) for that comment about chicken soup (especially if there is a matzo ball in it)! If she is still living, I wouldn’t be expecting a birthday gift this year… :no_entry_sign::gift:

Sadly I lost my mother 25 years ago. She made a a very good matzo ball soup as does my wife. I also make homemade chicken stock. But in either case I just don’t believe this “healing” stuff just like I don’t believe in a “colon cleanse” or a “liver cleanse.”

1 Like

I hear you, Brian! I think we’re on the same page… “Cleansing” is for the outside of our bodies!

1 Like

i did ues chicken for this. it ok with chicken.

Eric, you know I luv ya, buddy, right? But please proofread your posts and use punctuation and correct spelling, OK? I will read your posts regardless though! :heart:

1 Like

i can use punctuation and correct spelling, sorry that i don’t use it much.

thank you for Telling Me about it.

Thanks for not being offended, Eric. It’s really my issue; probably has to do with Catholic school PTSD, having been hit for incorrect spelling and punctuation. And our writing had to be painfully neat (or we’d feel the pain!). I was once told during med school that I’d never graduate and get my MD because my writing was too neat!