Heard it in a Rock Song

Have you ever been listening to a favorite piece of music when a verse strikes you as profound. I heard this the other day. Can you guess the song and artist. Kudos if you can complete the verse.

ONCE INSIDE A WOMAN’S HEART
A MAN MUST KEEP HIS HEAD
HEAVEN OPENS UP A DOOR
WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD

What is your profound piece of music?

3 Likes

Bob Seger holds the largest place in my music collection. Here’s my favorite Seger song.

John Prine Paradise

“And daddy won’t you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the green river where paradise lay?”
“Well, I’m sorry my son, but you’re too late in asking
Mister Peabody’s coal train has hauled it away”

2 Likes
4 Likes

Those are some good ones.

Love songs to the healthcare system.

The white horse is the horse of pestilence.

1 Like

I was feelin’ so bad,
I asked my family doctor just what I had,
I said, “Doctor,
(Doctor )
Mr. M.D.,
(Doctor )
Now can you tell me, tell me, tell me,
What’s ailin’ me?”

2 Likes

"…You never see me fall apart…

In the words of a broken heart
It’s just emotion taken me over
Caught up in sorrow, lost in my soul…" Emotions by Destiny’s Child

1 Like

“…Heaven bend to take my hand and lead me through the fire
Be the long awaited answer to a long and painful fight
Truth be told, I’ve tried my best…” Fallen by Sarah McLaughlin

“…In the lonely light of morning
In the wound that would not heal
It’s the bitter taste of losing everything
That I’ve held so dear…” Fallen by Sarah McLaughlin

1 Like

“…And love is not a victory march
It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah…” Halleleujh sung by Carly Rose Sonenclar originally written (sung?) by Leonard Cohen

1 Like

@Rphil2 Us old dogs know.

1 Like

@Stuart I wasn’t very familiar with these three so I had to hear them. Thanks

John Prine is just awesome!!

1 Like

Six in the morning, gave me no warnin’
I had to be on my way
Now the cars are all passin’ me,
Trucks are all flashin’ me
I’m headed home from your place

I will have to admit ,@Rphil2 , you fooled me with that one, I had to look it up.

1 Like

I’m totally dating myself here, but “Emotions” was originally recorded by the Bee Gee’s, and then again by them with Samantha Sang. As soon as I manage to get the sound on my computer working again, I’ll look forward to hearing Destiny’s Child version of it.

Favorite Seager song…Night Moves. Lyric “wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then.”

Worst grammar ever in a rock 'n roll song: John Mellencamp, Small Town, “no I cannot forget from where it is that I come from” Oy! If you look up the lyrics, they’re not actually written that way, as the first “from” is missing, but that’s the way he sang it. Cracks me up every time I hear it.

1 Like

My favorite Eagles song of all time !!!

1 Like

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liars chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

That would be Johnny Cash, of course… but only because you used the “crown of thorns” lyric.

The original “Hurt” was written by Trent Reznor, and uses an expletive for “thorns” but the person who played the song for Johnny knew he wouldn’t even consider the cover if it contained that word, so he changed it.

I love both versions and so did Trent, especially after he saw Johnny’s music video:

“I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn’t mine anymore… It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning – different, but every bit as pure.”

1 Like

Johnny cash makes it like a drug song. The interpretation is so important.