Help

I’ve been feeling terrible since yesterday. I’m not sure if this is DKA or not. I have a large amount of ketones and I managed to get my bgs down by increasing my basal a LOT. What’s confusing me is that I still feel sick to my stomach, I have a huge headache, still have large ketones and I’m freezing. I just called my Endo and I’m waiting for a return call. What do you think? Is this DKA? I’m trying to avoid going to the hospital.

Lots and lots of water (unless you feel nauseous?)! Could be DKA, but without knowing more background hard to say. Freezing/chills might be signs of getting flu? Could be good to stock up on pedialyte too. My flu the other year turned into pneumonia, so make sure they check for that in case you do end up going to see a doc. Several days on tamiflu is useless if antibiotics is what you need, I learned that the hard way.

I do feel nauseous and I’m having a very hard time drinking water. I have gone into DKA once before and this feels the same but, what’s confusing me is that I was able to bring down my bgs.Thanks for the advice.

It sounds like it could be DKA…I felt the same way but if you start to throw up, go to the doctor…I thought i had a 24hr stomach virus turned out to be DKA…You might just have another reaction to something else but if your feeling the same in a couple of hours I would go to the hospital just to be safe…

Sometimes I feel nauseated when I have high blood sugar, even without DKA or even without having ketones. I also get nauseated when my blood sugar drops very quickly. I second the suggestion to drink water if you can, it helps! I hope you get feeling better soon!

Thanks Rye, I called my Endo and I’m waiting for a return call. Seems like it’s taking him forever to call back.

Hi Erin, thanks for the well wishes

Have you tried drinking water through a straw?

That’s what I do if my bg is high and I have trouble drinking enough to make me feel better.
Hopefully, your endo will call back soon!

When I feel like I’m coming down with something and have some of your symptoms I run my basal at 180% until I have signs of relief…also testing frequently in order not to go hypo. I sympathize with you I know how you feel.

Ugh, sounds horrible. Please tell me you either heard from your end or went to the ER. If I had large ketones, I would probably go to the ER. For me, large ketones will only respond to IV insulin.