Help

When I first got started, I was excited and ready for the challege. As time marched on I stopped caring. I know my health is in danger. I am only 25 with no kids and about to be married. I fear that because of my diabetes I will not be able to birth healthy children. But I still can not get back on track. Sometime I think it is not far, this is an old persons problem. I am young. I dont want to have to plan meals. I want to enjoy what I eat. I want to eat ice cream and cookies and sweets. I dont want to have to plan ahead for everything to make sure what I need is avaiable. It really suck. I am tired of plan baked chicken with 1/3 cup rice and veg. So, I am asking for some encouragement. Maybe something that helped you make it throught the hard time. Also meal plan ideas, that tast good and are fun to enjoy. Please help, I dont know what else to do!!!

Brittaney,
I know it’s hard at first, but it is worth it when you get your blood sugar down to normal levels. You will feel really good as well as knowing that you will be avoiding problems in the future. It’s easy to get into the mindset that it isn’t fair, why me?, etc. but remember that diabetes is a disease that puts you in the driving seat. If you make the right choices, you don’t have to end up sick. If you have to have a chronic condition, diabetes is the best one out there. I have friends with cancer, and there is nothing they can do to affect the outcome. With diabetes, if you eat right, you will be fine. I suggest you look into low carb eating, as that will help you control your BG. Invest in a low carb cookbook and experiment with some new foods. I recommend Dana Carpender’s 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love
You can get a second hand copy for $4 on Amazon. It is really boring to eat the same old stuff every day. Also, you should know that if you eat low-carb, you can eat more fat so you can have some treats like cream sauces, whipped cream, cheese etc. One way I keep going is to treat myself to some of the things I can have, like good wine, smoked salmon, fresh fruit. I hope this is helpful. Good luck, you are not alone!

Hi Brittaney! I totally agree with Libby. Also, check out the American Diabetes Association’s website they have some recipes on there. Remember there is no such thing as a perfect diabetic and everyone’s diabetes is different. With mines sometimes it’s trial and error and other times nothing I do is right. No matter what I am not going down without a fight. So keep your head up and don’t forget we are here if you need us!

Andrea B.

I also have this website in my google bookmarks http://www.diabeticfoodcritic.com/dfc/ Not for sure how good it is but you can check it out and see.

Andrea B.

hi, Brittaney. I recently started getting “Everyday Food” magazine. It’s a Martha Stewart publication. All the recipes are easy to do, and the best part is all the nutrition info is listed. There are many healthy and attractive recipes.

Brittaney,
I know exactly what you mean… I was diagnosed ON my 20th birthday…I was angry, upset, afraid and curious as to why this had happened to me… Out of all people?
What I learned, is that we don’t have time to ask why, or be angry, life throws us all curveballs, and ours is a practicularly difficult one, but it is more than doable. When I first was diagnosed, my blood sugar was at 951 mg/dl. My vision had gone blurry because the glucose had re-shaped the lens of my eyes and took them out of focus. Diabetes has VERY real side effects if not taken care of, and after that day, I never wanted to ever deal with any others. Taking care of yourself is a very difficult task, and yes it is very tedious. Lean on everyone around you to help you, that’s what they are there for, and I never would have made it to where I am now without the help of my friends and family. Everyone in your life gets used to it, and it slowly fades to the back of your life. The best way to possibly look at it is that you need to control your disease, and don’t let it control you.
If ya ever need anything dont hesitate to give me a shout :slight_smile:

Hope you feel better, and good luck