Here we tell our 90 day average for macronutrient % ratios (carbs/protein/fat)

It must add up to 100%.

carbs/ prot / fat

I'll go first.

Mine is 50/25/25.

If your actual differs from what you think is your optimal goal, then tell that too.

All welcome and appreciated here.

Carbs 10% (about 50 grams/day)
Protein 25%

Fat 65%

Since I adopted this eating plan on May 1, 2012, I've lost 24 pounds (13% of my body weight), stopped taking my blood pressure meds, cut my daily insulin dose in half, and dropped my A1c from 6.8% to 6.2%. Like many diabetics before me, I've discovered that eating too many carbs puts me on the unending BG roller-coaster and exposes me to too many lows. I've gone from 2-3 lows (<70 mg/dl) per day to to 3-4 lows per week.

I haven't had to defend this diet with my doctor yet, but I expect some kind of negative pushback. I will tell the "experts" that this is my diabetes. I have lowered my average blood glucose, drastically reduced my hypos, lost weight, and relieved my hypertension. By any modern medical measure, this change in eating has been an incredible success! If it took a "fad" diet to accomplish this, then so be it.

By the way, I don't think that a low carb diet is a fad diet. If anything, the modern high carb, low fat diet is the fad diet. It wasn't until the middle of the 20th century that the "experts" simplistically decided that fat clogs arteries and causes heart disease. That conclusion has not stood up to scientific scrutiny. The human species did not develop agriculture (and all the carbohydrates that implies) until 10,000 years ago. For millions of years before that man lived on a low carb diet.

I am following and will continue to follow a diet that promotes health, not one that pushes me toward the inevitable cascade of diabetes complications.

Olé! well done!

That sounds like a huge improvement. Just reducing the lows is probably enough of a win to justify the diet. I've also eat about the same proportions. I've been a fan of low carb diets and Dr. B for some time. In practice, I strictly restrict my carbs and basically ignore fat and protein (I try not to overeat protein). I make no effort to restrict calories and have not changed weight in 2 years.

can you tell me what you eat fat-wise? im low carbing it but dont know what percentage my breakdown is, just trying not to eat carbs very much. but what do you eat for 65% fat? a stick of butter? do you count things like cheese as fat? whats a typical days meals?
my doctor does not approve of this kind of diet but i agree with you wholeheartedly that this way of eating is more natural and healthier. although i jumped on the low carb wagon because of the fabulous advice on this site, this past summer i read dr b and gary taubes´book "good fat, bad fat" and they changed everything for me!

The fat part of my diet includes eggs, grass-fed beef, bacon, pork, butter, coconut oil, heavy cream, whole milk yogurt, beef jerky, pork jerky, almonds, macadamia nuts, peanut butter, mayonnaise, and cheese. I also eat berries, tomatos, onions, peppers, avocados, and tuna fish.

Your summer reading is similar to mine; two weeks ago I finished Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.

Isn't it amazing that not only do we as diabetics have to deal with all it takes to manage our blood sugar, but we also often have to do it with the skeptical support of the so-called medical professionals!

I have to say that you need to be careful about just accepting "expert" advice. A hospital is a terrible place for diabetic nutrition. My father in law was hospitalized and prescribed a diabetic diet. Under that diet, he was allowed to select a serving of veggies along with a meat and starch. At this leading hospital, one of the veggie selections offered was "rice." Many of the so called experts are far from experts.

Fad : Definition - An intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, esp. one that is short-lived; a craze.

The low carb, high fat diet was a staple of treatment for Elliot Joslin and other diabetes pioneers. The Atkins diet was popularized in 1972, fourty years ago. The American Diabetes Association now recommends low carb diets like Atkins for weight loss (I would admit they still are searching for a clue). If someone is naive enough to call a low carb high fat diet a "fad diet," you probably don't want to listen to their advice.

I've had plenty of "medical professionals" offer me dietary advice. I've given up trying to help them. I'll gladly "listen" to their advice, but that is all I'll do "listen."

I use lots of butter, bacon fat, olive oil and coconut oil in my cooking. I get fatty cuts of meat and prepare them so all the fat can be consumed with the meal (I really like braising). I've been on a roasting kick, tossing veggies like brocolli in olive oil. It is easy to consume a 1/4 cup of olive oil this way, that is like 50g of fat. And I do eat lots of cheese.

ps. And I make my own yogurt, using half heavy cream and half whole milk.

My diet 30/30/40.

I have never had a doctor question my diet, If your general lab tests are good and your BG is under control I cant imagine why they would question diet. But if you have just been diagnosed or your BG is raging I can see why they may recommend a certain diet. I think most of the younger doctors have excepted the fact that lower carbs is OK but few will agree that 25g-TDC is enough. If someone has heart or renal issues then starting a low carb diet could intensify these issues...

I think the ADA would have revised there position on carbs if the ACCORD study had gone full term without being canceled, there where to many Heart related deaths.....The study had strict glycemic control but I don't think low carbs was causing the heart attacks but the ADA stuck their head in the sand when study was canceled.

I don't think ADA was off that far if you consider main street at that time was factory and construction workers. I could eat a whole bunch more carbs and no added insulin if I was digging holes, laying bricks, building cars, or working in a factory but I just use a computer and a golf swing is probably the most athletic thing I will be doing at 59.

I'll give you yesterday.

59.7 fat
23.8 carb
16.5 pro

I'm a T2 not on insulin. For me the source of the carbs is as important as the number of carbs. My diet is based on my observation of what different foods do to my blood sugar. So, no grain, only selected fruit, no legumes, no sugar, no potatoes. Since it's hard to get big carb numbers from things like broccoli, I wind up at 30 to 50 grams/day. I really only pay attention to restricting carbs and don't pay attention to percentage of fat and protein. For me protein is self limiting as I eat a lot of veggies, so I wind up substituting fat for carbs. Sources of fat: eggs, bacon fat, olive oil, oil in salad dressing(usually soybean), nuts, limited dairy, meat.

I'm guessing my ratio would be 12% carb 30% protein, 58% fat.

To me part of the definition of a fad diet is one that is hard to stay on, eventually most adherents go back to their old ways. I've just started my 4th year of low carbing and there is zero chance of my going back to my carboholic ways, because for me, it works.

I'm not sure what my #s for this are. For a while, I was using this app called "Lose It" that did a nice summary and seemed to run around 30-50% carbs and the other stuff kind of depended what was on the menu. Lots of binging on the weekends. Plus "cheating" by running a lot. I like carbs a lot and am willing to work to be able to munch on them!

I eat lots of low carb veggies, many raw, so fiber should not be a problem.

Aeon - Your dietary challenges are certainly tougher for you with your gall bladder removal and IBS. It makes me realize that I don't have it so tough! I admire your ability to adapt to your health reality and make appropriate choices.

It's s tough to make changes when it comes to food. I looked at the Mayo Clinic website to read up on what a gall bladder removal means for one's diet.

I definitely would have to change my choice of a high fat diet that is now working so well for me. And giving up coffee would be very difficult for me. Congrats on accepting reality and making good choices! I've enjoyed following this thread that you initiated.

terry. thanks foryour reply. so youre counting this meat and cheese as fat and not protein? what counts as protein then?

i know, re me profs. my gp is great but got a bollocking couple of weeks ago when i told her i was eating low carb. labs are fabulous, i dont know shes complaining about...like somebody else does here, i just listen to advice. ill not b following it. i go to my endo next week and probably get an earful from her, too.

I do about 10, 45, 45.

Some argue that our ancestors ate a low/no carb diet, so it must be safe and healthy. Unfortunately, it is hard to gather any sort of reliable data, regarding diet and health today, much less thousands of years ago. For various reasons, most of our ancestors did not live long lives.

It seems there are examples of PWD that have done well on LC diets for long periods of time. I feel there isn't enough data to be conclusive.

In my own experience, the LC diet has improved my BG control dramatically. I have also noticed some physical improvements.

Will my diet cause problems for me later? There doesn't seem to be enough evidence one way or another, but there is convincing evidence that poorly controlled BG does.

I don't really follow a paleo diet per se. Basically, I eat the same as I used to eat, excluding foods that raise my BG quickly or drastically (Bernstein's suggested exclusions). I didn't raise fat or protein to compensate. I just eat a lot less. I was a vegetarian for 10 years, and am still not a big meat eater. Sometimes I cook with soy protein or tofu, and I do eat plenty of fish, salad, and green vegetables. Weight was never a major concern, but I'm someone who used to be able to easily eat a whole pizza, but have gotten my appetite under control. So far, so good.

High fat diets are low fiber, by definition, unless you supplement them.
I believe this is an incorrect assumption. There are many foods low in digestible carbohydrate, which are high in fiber, and vice versa. I don't see how the two are mutually exclusive.

Have you had shirataki noodles? There are lots of non-starchy veggies that are high in fiber but low in carbs.

I find the evidence that fiber is good to be weak. It is all observational and since many healthy foods like green leafy veggies are high in fiber, the health benefits can be explained in other ways.