High Reading Question

Hey everyone,
'Betes Newbie here and a bit confused on my morning reading today.

Since the diagnosis about a month ago and a glucose reading of 170, I’ve cut out all breads, flour, pasta and most sugars etc and have lost 20lbs. My readings have been a lot better dropping down to anywhere from 130 to as low as 90 a few times. I’m doing 500MG of the Metformin twice a day and Jardiance every morning.

This morning my first reading was 220 which is even higher than the diagnosis. Last night’s dinner was 4 pieces of tuna sashimi (just tuna) with edamame and Miso Soup so totally confused with what gives.

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance and nice to meet all of you.

John

Hi John, that morning reading does sound high, do you think you might have been misdiagnosed as type 2 and instead may be LADA or type 1? This is a common misdiagnosis. If the trend continues I would ask your doctor to be tested to see if you may be type 1. It could be just a random reading, maybe you are incubating a cold or flu, that causes high numbers.

1 Like

When I get a reading that is much different from what I expect, I test again, making sure my hands are clean and using another glucose meter, if I have one available.

2 Likes

Well at least if it’s type 1 I can get an official “I’m #1” foam finger . Thanks for the feedback. It’s been back to more normal ranges with a 128 post lunch reading so hopefully it was just a stress number (tons of stress lately)

Good advice. It’s back down to 128 this afternoon so hoping it was just a one-time fluke.

1 Like

I call this “Diabetes Black Magic.” It cannot be explained. But, it exists. Beware the strange and mysterious forces of diabetes AND diabetics.

does your sashimi include rice? Also it usually includes added sugar (because it tastes better that way, and Miso soup has added sugar and carbs. So what you thought was low carb was not. You need to understand hidden and added carbs.

Ahhh thanks it could have been the Miso - sashimi is just the fish, no rice.
Cheers

I will remember this one

Traditionally the fish can be sprinkled with sugar
Edamame also has carbs. Can include added sugar.

When I was first diagnosed 11 years ago, My education course required that we test before and after all food and record the results. So that I would understand the reactions to what I consumed. A lot of surprises. I don’t test for everything now, just the unknown.