Highs vs. Lows

Also if you work or are a student, highs you can usually work through, whereas lows can be debilitating and, although I am usually able to work through while being low, I think my work is less productive.

Plus, as my doctor pointed out, if you have a fatal car crash due to a low, avoiding long-term complications won't be your biggest worry.

Diabetic Dad, I wonder if you would want to start a thread about us "brittle" or "labile" or whatever term you want to use. I wonder if we are in the minority that we seem to be on this site. Example: I can go from 20 to 600 easily under some circumstances but there are those here who never seem to even get up to 200 or even 150. I understand that those usually have very tight management behaviors but I wonder if type 1 db has degrees of severity... I think it does but could be wrong.

Just a thought.

I'd not like to be High or Low - but given the choice I pick Low.

simple to correct
no complications beyond maybe a change of clothing / assistance is sometimes complicated though
once resolved no lingering discomfort
no danger unless ignored and left untreated

Regarding the complication and before someone mentions the horrors of lows (which of course can happen and should be avoided) I want to mention that in the follow up for the DCCT and EDIC they found regarding lows that "such episodes, while dangerous at the time, do not lead to a long-term loss of cognitive function—the ability to perceive, reason, and remember—as scien­tists originally feared. Researchers recently reported this finding after examining 1,144of the original DCCT participants a mean of 18 years after enrollment in the DCCT."

That's an awful choice. As mentioned above, I would choose neither.

That said, if God spoke from on high and said you have to take one or the other, I'd take high. A low, if it's low enough, can take you right out of the game in the blink of an eye. A high gives me time to think and react. Unless we're talking about DKA-level high, of course. In that case I'm right back where I started: neither.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/brittle-me-this

Welcome! Come on in.

What about a group?

When I am out cutting the lawn and I can barely keep going and I am thinking wowsa I am old and it is just too hot out here I hate lows when I come inside and my bg is 45. When I am watching TV on a weekend afternoon after a really good lunch out and I dose off and wake up and blood sugar is 209 and takes the rest of the afternoon into the evening to correct, I hate highs.

I try to avoid either one but if I had to choose, I would pick hypo over hyper. I can easily correct lows with glucose tablets or a juice box and I don't feel them at all and have a Dexcom CGM so I am warned long before I get in the danger zone. They're both crappy and both are risky but I think hypers are more dangerous as far as long term complications hypos are more dangerous for immediate consequences. In other words, hypos can lead to death now - hypers will kill you but it will take a while, and the lingering will be awful and may include failure of your kidneys and heart.

I agree long-term complications are more associated with hypers than with hypos, but I cringe every time I hear of a car accident because the driver had a "medical condition," which I'm guessing most of the time is a low BG.

Lows. Hate them! It’s like the worst part of being drunk and come at the worst possible times. I work around heavy machinery and think about it all the time. Agree with above about the car accidents. But they could be heart attacks, stroke ect. Ya never really know. But yeah… LOWS SUCK

After eating a very healthy lunch, and blood sugar soared and stayed there I decided I hate highs more :(

Me too, Karen. They are much more of a challenge to fix...and so often they don't respond to corrections and - well you know the rest. I have been getting some high numbers after my very healthy dinners lately. What's going on ????

I was out planting shrubs all day, got a little low after lunch and popped a couple glucose and ate some cold jello and a couple chunks of pineapple and back out to finish the job in 10 minutes. Fixed that low with no trouble and stayed steady the rest of the day.

nice karen and I don't know. I decided to change my site and of course that looked fine as well. Have not felt this sad and overwhelmed over highs like this in awhile, and the reason is how long they last, and how awful I feel, and yada, yada, yada......

Highs are easier to correct, at least for me. In the 54 years I've been a Type 1 I have only been hospitalized ONCE for a high, but have ended up in the ER many more times for lows. After 54 years I have hypoglycemia unawareness and have found the pump and my CGM an absolutely invaluable help in avoiding serious lows.

I recognize the symptoms of highs when I get above about 250--my eyes get "funny" and I start reaching for the water. I feel "different." But by the time I actually feel low (which means I've ignored the warnings from my CGM) I'm usually approaching "critical" stages, and I get the panic that goes along with that.

For me, I'd much rather be high. But as I'm sure you've heard many times before, every diabetic--and every specific case of diabetes--is different. Be comfortable with whatever you decision is if it works for you.

As someone who lives alone, I consider lows much more risky. I don't like highs because of the danger of complications, and always correct promptly. But lows affect me a lot more, and I really dislike anything that compromises my cognitive ability!I also worry about things like driving with a possible low, especially on the mountain roads in my area. In general, though, for me, I find lows easier (and quicker) to correct.

明けてく空 that’s a good question. Can you, 明けてく空 choose between being a crazy lunatic with extremely week muscles or being a lazy irritable smelly unquenchably thirsty constantly peeing eye squinter? 明けてく空 you could look at a cgm graph to answer that great question. The CGM will show tiny dips into red and big pulses into yellow. It’s yellow above the desired range but it’s red below that range. Yellow stands for caution but red stands for danger. 明けてく空 blood glucose can be between 0 and 1999. Hypo is 0 - 70, hyper is 120 - 1999. 0 is death but 1999 is fixable. The healthy body of a diabetic has ways to counteract the low blood sugar. The ones I know of are glycogen stored in toned muscles and the liver, adrenalin. Now I’m at the end of my knowledge. But the bionic pancreas will pump both insulin and glycogen.

The bionic pancreas will pump both insulin and glucagon (not glycogen).
Glycogen is a multibranched polysaccharide of glucose that serves as a form of energy storage in animals and fungi. The polysaccharide structure represents the main storage form of glucose in the body.
Glucagon is a hormone secreted by the pancreas that acts in opposition to insulin in the regulation of blood glucose levels.
PWT1D do not have this counter regulatory balance because they are missing both alpha and beta cells in the pancreas.