Hit a goal!

My husband had his first reading under 100 since being diagnosed on Feb 25th! He hit 90 tonight. I am so happy to see him be excited about “normal” levels. He was 531 at diagnosis. We seem to finally have found the right combo of insulin. I am just feeling so happy for him I had to share!

15 Likes

You worked at it hard - You nailed it!!! That is how it works. Congratulations, I am sure many more to come. PS - What was the secret sauce for him?

2 Likes

He’s at 24 units of lantis at 8:30 pm each night and 5 units + 1 unit for every level over 50 before meals (so if he’s at 151 he takes 6 units if he’s 201 he takes 7 units and so on). We’ve been keeping his carbs around 20-30 per meal.
We’ve had some spikes with night time snacking (habits are difficult to break!) Other than that he is doing so much better. We are hoping to get a pump around May or June depending on insurance.

4 Likes

Huge congratulations to your husband and to yourself for being his cheerleader! And it is so great that you understand how important it is to celebrate each one of the goals you reach. Every day is a new goal and some days you make it and some your don’t. Just keep fighting the fight!
And I will agree nighttime snacking is such a hard habit to break. I also have that same problem. Even when I can see how great the results are when I don’t snack, I have a hard time giving it up.
Good luck with continued success! And when the pump talks start up, check out all the posts on everyone’s thoughts and experiences.

1 Like

Congrants @beth39 to both you and your husband! It really is a team sport, and to have a fully engaged team is very rewarding. In truth, both of you have worked hard in your own ways to achieve your goal. :blush:

1 Like

Great news. Just beware that MDI therapy using long acting and short acting insulins works differently than pump therapy. It’s a learning curve for sure, but keep doing what you two are doing because it will set you up for success on a pump if that’s the route you end up going.

2 Likes