Holidays and Diabetes

I am not a doctor, so I am not trying to give anyone medical advice. I only can speak from experience after having lived with diabetes for 48 years, and this is just my observations and perceptions. So this is what I know about the holidays:

If you are a newly diagnosed diabetic, this season is NOT a season of "can't" but rather a season of "count." Just as in any other day of the year, you need to be aware of what goes into your mouth and to count those carbs. I will eat some cookies, but I will count what I eat and compensate with insulin. That last part is much easier thanks to the Pod!

Be aware of how much you eat. Grazing those holiday banquet tables can catch up with you quickly, so pay attention to how much you indulge in during the festivities. You'll probably be one of the few who does not gain weight, and if you don't overeat, you will feel better than most in the morning.

Notice that added activities (like skiing since you are on vacation or cleaning the house because Grandma is coming over) all will affect your blood sugar. You may not think that a little extra scrubbing will make a difference, but your blood sugar may disagree with you.

For all the fun, the holidays also bring stress which raises blood sugar for many of us. Know where your numbers are, and do something nice for you to relax... soaking in a warm bath, curling up with a good book, watching the snow fall... you get the idea.

Test often so you know where your numbers are, and take appropriate actions so you can enjoy the season to its fullest. The holidays are not about eating. They are about family and friends and the love that you share with others.

Have a wonderful holiday season and a new year blessed with even better health!

Those are some wise words. Merry Christmas

Two thumbs up! I'm a 43 year T1. I've never lived my life with "I can't" and have enjoyed my years despite the "D" thing.

Great ideas
I,ve been doing that for 78 years of t1D
Happy holiday

Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom, SherryAnn. One thing I would add is that a high fat meal drives my numbers up after many hours, especially in the AM.....Christmas cookies or pastries for breakfast, or early morning after a rich dinner....sort of like the pizza effect. It seems to catch me by surprise more often than not. As you say, be aware of what goes in your mouth, what your individual triggers are, test, test, test, and a Happy Heathy New Year to us all.

I agree, Elaine. I find that an extended bolus works in the cases that you mention above, and an extended bolus is also good if you know that you will be "grazing" a banquet or New Year's Eve holiday table. Happy New Year to you and to all of my friends on this group. And as Tiny Tim would say, "God bless us every one!"

SherryAnn: even for those of us who pretty much follow this advice anyway, your column was a warm and welcome reminder that we have many friends who live with diabetes. Even if we've never met these friends. Thank you! All the best to you for a happy and healthy new year. Beth

LOVE an extended bolus! Good luck to us all!