Homemade red miso soup

I love miso soup, but hate the ready soup mixes available at most grocery shops because they contain too much sodium. So I decided to make my own, minus the extra sodium, and added a few extra ingredients.

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons of red miso paste (available at most gourmet food stores and asian groceries)
  • Half a medium sized onion, thinly sliced
  • A fewthin slices of yellow pepper (green or red will do too)
  • Two button mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • Ten to twelve cubes of firm tofu

Start by sauteing the onion slices, yellow pepper slices and the tofu cubes with a pinch of olive oil. Once the onion slices turn translucent, add the mushroom slices and the miso paste. Add two cups of water (or vegetable stock), a pinch of salt and bring to a slow boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and serve with a garnish of freshly chopped spring onion slices.
Nutrition info: Contains about 8 grams of carb.

Nice. I make miso with crumbled dry shiitake mushrooms (simmered fifteen minutes to reconstitute and to make nice mushroom broth), chopped tofu and a green onion or two. No sauteeing, just toss the tofu and onion and miso paste into the broth once the mushrooms are reconstituted, let simmer for a few minutes, and eat. Quick ‘n’ easy for the more lazy among us… :slight_smile: