I love miso soup, but hate the ready soup mixes available at most grocery shops because they contain too much sodium. So I decided to make my own, minus the extra sodium, and added a few extra ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons of red miso paste (available at most gourmet food stores and asian groceries)
- Half a medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- A fewthin slices of yellow pepper (green or red will do too)
- Two button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Ten to twelve cubes of firm tofu
Start by sauteing the onion slices, yellow pepper slices and the tofu cubes with a pinch of olive oil. Once the onion slices turn translucent, add the mushroom slices and the miso paste. Add two cups of water (or vegetable stock), a pinch of salt and bring to a slow boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and serve with a garnish of freshly chopped spring onion slices.
Nutrition info: Contains about 8 grams of carb.