Hot Face

Hi all, been T1D now for 58+ years and recently I’ve been getting a hot face sensation during the day. A comprehensive metabolic panel shows no malabsorption. Curious if anyone else has experienced and way to treat the syptom.

Has your blood pressure been check while you are experiencing this phenomenon. I get a hot face feeling when my BP is high.

I’ve always gotten a hot face when my insulin is peaking. I was actually in my 20s before someone else pointed it out to me. I never really noticed it before because it’s all I’ve ever known. I’m acutely aware of it now, though.

I’ve never understood why. It’s not an allergic reaction or anything. I experience the same heat and redness on my cheeks, and nowhere else, no matter what insulin I’m using.

Is menopause a factor

I’m assuming the menopause question was directed at me since the OP is a “Mark”… Nope. I’m still in my 30s, and while that’s not unheard of, it’s been happening at least since I was in my 20s, when it was pointed out to me. A very fatherly older friend of mine told me he knew when I’d remembered my insulin because I “blushed”, and admitted that’s when he was most vigilant about anticipating my lows.

I assume it was happening before then, too, I just never really noticed. Now I can still see the pattern clearly. Peaked insulin = hot cheeks.

“The phrase " oh no, hot cheeks” is uttered nearly every day in this house, while my husband cups them with his ice-cold hands. It’s quite nice! Lol

It’s very similar to a niacin flush, except I don’t take niacin anymore.

I always assumed this was common among diabetics… But now I’m guessing not?

I will say I’m very fair-skinned, and I think thin-skinned too (in the literal, not figurative) and show redness more readily than most. So perhaps it’s common, but more noticable in me?

Now I’m off to research if insulin works physiologically on capillaries!

1 Like

Is it possible that this is a hypo symptom or bg-is-dropping symptom for you?

My hypo symptoms have certainly changed over the decades and some of them involve peculiar sensations on my face or lips.

Hypo, definitely not. I rarely ever get hypos anymore, at least not under 65, which I don’t really consider a hypo even if it’s below quidelines. BG dropping, possibly, but I don’t really think so.

It’s only in recent years that I was able to get insurance coverage for modern insulins and treatments. Before that, I was definitely on a wild roller-coaster ride and I could say I was dropping significantly when the hot cheeks occurred. But now, I’ve gotten really good at bolusing and exploiting all the tricks to keep my numbers stable and nearly flat. I get the hot cheeks regardless of post-prandial spikes.

I will say it’s dependent on bolus volume, though. I don’t have persistent hot cheeks because of my basal. Or if I do, it’s so mild it’s unnoticeable. I likewise don’t notice small boluses for less than 15g or so of carbs. It’s only actual meal boluses (seldom less than 30 g carb) that my face flames up. And if I have something carb indulgent that requires an especially large bolus, my hot cheeks turn more flamming inferno cheeks.

I do also have high levels of inflammation, thanks to the rest of the autoimmune party. I’m wondering if maybe the inflammation somehow triggers the insulin to cause flushing? Since the OP is only experiencing the flushing recently, a new cause of inflammation or other auto-immune condition emerging, might make sense.

I honestly didn’t know this was abnormal!

I’m definitely not allergic to insulin. It’s one of the first things the allergist looked for when we were exploring allergies as a potential cause of the inflammation. The medical folks have since decided I meet the diagnosis criteria for RA based on the number of joints affected, even though I test negative for rheumatoid factors. I don’t feel like this is conclusive, though. So maybe there’s still a questionable cause that triggers the flushing with Insulin??

I’ve never had a case of the ‘hot face.’ Interesting symptom.