How do I say no to food offers ? Its starting to bug me

What I wrote applies quite strongly to many Native American elders in the continental U.S. as well. Tobacco is and always has been a culturally important plant to the indigenous people of the Americas. It originated here.

When it is offered to another person, it’s not about smoking it. It’s a symbol often used to either thank someone or ask for prayers in a culturally appropriate manner. So, in my work with tribes, I’ve learned to accept the gift in the spirit it is offered, rather than refuse it because I don’t smoke or chew tobacco. Does that make sense? This is all about “When in Rome, do as the Romans do…” I wasn’t suggesting that we should all be using tobacco. That’s up to you. I do strongly believe in trying to be respectful of other peoples’ cultural beliefs, especially when I work with them as part of my job.

This all belongs in ANOTHER THREAD. This thread is about FOOD. I don’t want to contribute (further) to hijacking.

can u do that, Tim? thanks.

1 Like

Actually, my comment was very much on-topic, and I’d very much appreciate it not being flagged for removal somewhere else. When many of us travel or work with other cultures, we’re put in situations where we have to deal with unusual situations. For me, that includes being asked to eat food (and occasionally offered things like tobacco), and I was relating how I’ve learned to deal with it while maintaining good health as a diabetic. It is possible to be both culturally aware and sensitive of other peoples’ beliefs, and live a healthy life.

If we need to discuss that elsewhere, that’s fine with me!

Post whatever you like.

I think @David49’s information about a physical object carrying important cultural meaning is on-topic and aligned with much of the discussion about dealing with food offers in a social context. Many upthread comments, including one I wrote, dealt with that important facet of the topic.

I can’t read the many deleted comments but I’d guess I’d rather see that than a pie fight. Let’s all try to exercise some tolerance here. Kindness persuades more than sharp elbows.

No worries. The admins have access.

If @David49 is super offended by my offer to assist then he knows where the flag button is.

Thanks @Terry4. My comments here were entirely meant to be within the spirit of the post and original question, and I was only responding to direct questions about what I meant.

@Tim35, I wasn’t trying to be rude to you. I was merely pointing out that I’d prefer my on-topic comments here be whisked off to a new thread, which I wouldn’t necessarily want to engage in. I’m sorry if it came off tetchy; I was only trying to respond to direct questions, and then ask for my comments not to be flagged for removal.

That needle thing is . . . not necessary. Try the inhaled insulin called AFREZZA. I have been a Type 1 diabetic for over 60 years. I have become needle phobic so for me the inhaled insulin has been life changing for me. Ask your endo for a free sample. MannKind will supply the free sample to your doctor’s office. Good Luck.

The last 18 posts had nothing to do with the OP. :slight_smile: If that’s not thread hijacking, someone define it for me.

Guess I kinda started it by talking about the most difficult instance I’ve experienced of what the OP was about, which also (I thought) related to the very interesting point about commensalism and the cultural meaning of sharing food @beacher mentioned. I actually did find the tobacco part the most difficult piece of my experience, and for reasons similar to what you described, which I found illuminating.

The OP isn’t the first instance of this perennial topic–I think I started one myself a few years back–and it’s a funny thing but they can get very divisive. It concerns a situation where you’re directly confronted with the complexities of having the disease and I guess it’s natural that we all have strong feelings about our own ways of handling it. YDMV.

2 Likes

“Thank you No.” If asked “Are you sure?” just again say “Thank you no.” The person is offering to share food with you. In many cultures it’s extremely rude to not offer food to everyone. So just be polite, thank them for their kind offer, but say no.

You make me laugh. I am Amy, had D since I was 22 months old. It is very tough; I’m turning 50 in Jan. People really do not know enough abpit this disease. Good luck to you.

I’m with you! To me, to share food or to stick to “what is good for me” isn’t always an easy choice. Growing up in a poor, ethnically mixed household, sharing food was the primary social activity. Thanksgiving was the biggest holiday of the year, because it was about eating together and basically a big excuse for a huge family get together.

I make compromises on my diet when Thanksgiving and Christmas come around, even though mashed potatoes are my absolute nemesis from a BG point of view. Other rituals, practices, and cultural markers (whether it be “will you come to church on Sunday” or "please accept this cigarette) are fascinating to me, and I’ve generally tried to find ways to compromise there as well.

So to really get to the OP’s question, for me it depends on the situation: if it’s just a friendly gesture, I can say “No thank you, don’t feel like mashed potatoes today.” If it’s my great-grandmother putting mashed potatoes on my plate because that is what she’s done my entire life and it is a sign of love to feed her family? I say “Thank you,” take a small bite, and feed the rest to the dogs. Everybody wins.

2 Likes

I have only experienced a few times in my 26 yrs that I was really pressured to eat something I didn’t/couldn’t have. I’ve always just said no thank you and left it at that. Since I’ve discovered I have a gluten sensitivity it is almost easier because people seem to understand it

1 Like

I just have to say…I went to a local conference on Monday and Tuesday. I brought my own lunch, as I always do. And since I knew a bunch of people there, no one asked why I was the only one eating my own food. One colleague asked if I wanted her to get a sandwich for me, but that was before I’d taken my lunch out. As soon as I said, “No, thanks. I brought my own lunch,” she went, “Oh, right, of course!” and that was that.

I wish all social encounters involving food went so smoothly.

1 Like

Actually not - A first world problem if I ever saw one

I just keep it brief and say no thank you. I personally feel that my food consumption (or lack thereof) requires an explanation to anyone and therefore none is provided. I’m a grownup, I know what I can and cannot eat/drink. You shouldn’t feel like you need to apologize for being diabetic to anyone.

1 Like