How do you handle the full-time job of carrying a meter?

I am lucky. I have a purse. Although it is sometimes referred as a suitcase or a lethal weapon, depending upon the weight. I check my bs about 3 - 4 times a day. And in truthI wish is was easier to carry around. IT’s sad, I have to carry my glasses , my meter, my agenda book, which has all my appointments and blood sugars in it. And then there is a wallet… And then I carry my pill box. And it would be really nice if I could take my Byetta since I work second shift. So I totally understand. I dont know how you guys do it.

My son has three meters, and we always have one of them with us. One stays in his bedroom, one stays in the kitchen, and one is in his “kit,” which we take anytime we leave the house.

I’m sure as he gets older (he is now 5), it will become a challenge to make sure that HE always has his meter, but for now it is really the adult with him that takes responsibility for having the kit, containing all the supplies we need.

We use the Freestyle Flash, which is small and easy to use. We also have a Precision Xtra for blood ketones.

I don’t currently carry mine with me, but I suppose it’ll go in my purse when I start using insulin (soon) and need to test more often. It’ll be a pain because I’ve gotten out of the habit of carrying a purse. It’s such a hassle to haul around. Anyway, I’ve ordered a free meter (can’t remember which one) which is much smaller and that’ll probably me my “purse” meter.

I have a Freestyle Freedom meter which came with a pouch with space for it, the test strips, the needles and the hated thing that drives the needle into the skin. I suppose I’m fortunate that I don’t have to carry mine everywhere with me - but fully loaded it fits into a pocket without too much bother.

My OneTouch Ultra “Mini” came with a pouch that works fairly well. It has plenty of room for the meter, lancer, and a vial of strips. There’s also a perfect spot for my Novolog pen and couple of compartments for lancets, glucose tabs, and pen needles (plus a few glucose tablets and a tiny container to put used lancets and strips in). Everything I need over the course of the day.

I have a One Touch Ultra Smart Meter. It came with a little carrying case and the carrying case has room for my machine, a lancing device, a few needles and the bottles of insulin I carry around.

If I got out w/ friends and I have a little “club” purse, I just toss everything in my purse w/ out the carrying case. It all seems to fit well.

And like all other ladies - I’ve lucked out being born w/ the right chromosomes on this one - I always have a purse w/ me anyway. :slight_smile:

My diabetes kit consists of Novolo and Levemir FlexPens, NovoFine needles, FreeStyle flash meter, strips and lancets, and a MacBook to access SugarStats.com and the CalorieKing Exercise and Nutrition Manager.

I have a Cozmo pump, with the meter attached
so, I just have a small pouch to hold my strips and multi clix with a couple extra drums, and a bottle of glucose tabs.

I just throw it in my purse in the case. If I am carrying a small purse I will just carry it loose in my purse (that is especially easy with the new One Touch Ultra Mini - very convenient!)

i have one of those… but then again, I have one of every meter now. I do like the One Touch Mini a lot. Solid construction. The only complaint I have is that the carrying case is a tight fit for the meter, lancet device and a bottle of strips.

I started using this little portable “Sidekick” meter. I travel a LOT. It’s very small and it’s very portable. cutest damn thing - It’s also very affordable - I can usually get it for around 30 bucks for the meter & 50 test strips & I love that you just toss it when it’s done! It was also more accurate that my Freestyle Freedom which was bulkier - and the Freestle lancer fits in it’s little case, too. http://www.homediagnostics.com/products-sidekick.asp

It gets tossed into my backpack with everything else. There is anough stuff in there to keep me going for at least a few days. Insulin, extra food, lighter, swiss army knife, gameboy, laptop, usb cable to charge phone, checkbook, my HP48 calculator, and of course pencil and paper.

I usually have it close by, and take it with me all over the place. It is in the car if I go inside somewhere so no big deal there.

After months and months of searching for a bag, I finally settled on the Courage bag.
http://www.couragebag.com/Community.html
I has a place for all diabetic supplies, has little lunch bags with ice packs for insulin and snacks and then there is many other pockets as well for other things. Works great for me and when I travel it is really nice to have as well.

Cody

Purse about 95% of the time. Otherwise thrown in my embroidery tote bag along with a wallet and juice box (for sitting on the sidelines during kids swim lessons) or on hikes/camping trips I go with the complete dork look and stuff all the pockets of a fly-fishing vest as I’ll need extra snacks…

Hi !

I use special caring case for meter, strips, insulin pen and that microlet thing. It’s much smaller that original ine. Since I am carry backpack all the time (for my laptop) I just put it in there…

Andy

I use the freestyle lite , I also carry my meter with me always . At work I slip it in the pocket of my lab coat . I can fit the meter, lancing device, and strips all in a small zippered coin purse that is much prettier than the standard black cases .

Most of the time I carry my kit (Freestyle Flash, still in the pouch it came in and looking very much like yours) in an engineer field-style ripstop bag, along with my planner, Nintendo DS, and various other necessities for work. That way I can just pop it over my shoulder or under the counter and have the whole mess handy.

The kit itself remains perpetually stocked with four syringes, a couple of spare lancets, a spare restaurant-style packet of table sugar (if I happen to run out of glucose tabs), and small elastic bandages and cotton balls to stop any over-eager bleeding. There’s (barely) enough room in it to hold my bottle of Humalog, so when I step out to eat with the fellas I zip my insulin into the case, toss the case into the inside pocket of my leather jacket, and go. (Purses annoy me. I carry one now because it’s practical, but it still annoys me.) The bulky bit sort of ruins the sleek lines of my look, but life is more precious than style any day. :wink: