How has diabetes affected your marriage?

You might be shopping for a social worker, an elementary school teacher, or a nurse. There are lots of men who settle in pretty well to caretaker roles (I'm not saying you need a caretaker, its just that they tend to be real kind, considerate, responsible men). What city are you in? I know a LOT of nurses.

lot of my co-workers would be great husbands (and skilled to help out if need be) - Oh, I retired from a big city fire department. Nice to look at too if I may say so.

LOL, the last time I keeled over (Mother's Day 2011...overdid it, yadda yadda yadda...), MrsAcidRock commented on the EMTs...

Oh, yea! Hit up the FD. Thats a good idea! Lana sounds like a firefighter kinda girl, who isn't? There's some cute EMTS, but they don't make very much $$$. :(

There is a like function, it is right below the original post and it is labelled "Like." It seems our members don't find this feature or just don't use it. I'm not sure it will be in the new platform.

I have to be honest, diabetes has not been easy with my marriage. I was diagnosed 15 years after we were married and it wasn't part of what either of us thought we were getting into. And my wife is fairly self-centered (you could say the same about me), so she has often considered my diabetes a burden on her. She won't lift a finger to help me manage my diabetes, she certainly won't give me an injection.

And she doesn't like the constraints. She has systematically rebelled against the diet. Eventually I took over all the shopping and cooking. She considers me obsessed with my diabetes and doesn't know why I don't just listen to the doctor, take a pill and not worry about anything. And it has been something we don't share. Just as someone who is not deaf cannot truly be part of the deaf community I think she feels left out that I have a community of others with diabetes who are my friends which she is excluded from.

I wouldn't say diabetes has harmed or destroyed my marriage but it has been a pressure and a strain at times. And some of it has been my wife's attitude so it really doesn't generalize, but there are all kinds of stories out there.. I'm just being honest.

Brian, I use the "Like" feature, and if it's not in the new platform I will miss it. It's useful for going back to photos that you "liked" and want to see again, or to quickly find and reread a discussion or blog that you wanted to read again.

The Secret of a Successful Relationship with a T1?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
ALWAYS USE THE LONGER TUBING......

Hi Lana, how has diabetes affected my marriage? When my husband and I were married 61 years ago, I already had Rheumatoid Arthritis. It was a nuisance--I must say, it has caused me more trouble than Type 1, which I got 21 years ago. The Celiac that came along with Type 1 is more trouble than the diabetes also. In other words, it's the autoimmune gene(s) that causes so much trouble. We never let it affect our marriage, though. We've hiked, camped, had kids, have had a variety of pets, now have dogs, have lived in three different states, etc. Unfortunately, both of our children have autoimmune problems, too, as do their children. However, none of us has wanted to avoid having children; someday there will be cure(s), and in the meantime the world has benefited from the existence of our wonderful children and their children... And my husband is really special--I am so lucky. And you know what--it's never too late to have new relationships and good experiences.

I am married. I was diagnosed at age 6, so my husband has never known me WITHOUT diabetes. At the beginning of our relationship he made it clear that he valued my health and he'd only be with me if I also valued it and took care of my diabetes to the best of my ability. That doesn't mean he doesn't help and I do everything, it just means he wants me to respect myself enough to know I'm worth taking care of. He has helped me through countless low blood sugars, has helped me insert Dexcom sensors, and has sat beside me in the hospital when I was in DKA once back when we were first dating. He's never made me feel that my insulin pump or CGM are undesirable or unsexy.

+1. I just noticed it the other day, but have often wished for such a feature. It could be linked to individual comments so we could kinda count votes that are in favor of one perspective versus another, as opposed to the page.

The best/worst EMT story I have: I called 911 on myself one day after an extreme amount of exercise kicked in, hours after the fact. I fell asleep and woke up in a complete haze - couldn't see, could barley speak, but I could think pretty clearly. So, they sent the fire truck and the cops because I was incoherent on the phone.

I crawl to the door to unlock it, so they don't break it down and two guys get in a total ■■■■■ fight about if I am drunk or have low blood sugar. So, they're asking me questions and I'm kinda embarrassed, so I try to be funny. I would not recommend doing that ever again! There's a sweet little, blonde officer sitting cross legged on my floor, next to me, playing with my orange tabby cat. She says, 'whats the kittys name?' And I say, 'Mao Tse Dong.' The mad EMT gets really impatient and says,'Well, that's the drunkest thing I have ever heard!' I am disappointed and a little scared by my audiences reaction to that joke. I try to clarify, in slurred speech, rolling around on the floor, "She's a red, communist cat and she'll kill you, be careful!' It was an alley cat that my brother picked up in a bad part of town. It had a reputation, with the neighbors, for being not the nicest animal in the world. But, I think the happy EMT/Fire medic smiled, because then the mad EMT got enraged and raised his voice, 'What the hell? What's that supposed to mean? That's the DRUNKEST thing I have ever heard!' Now, I'm scared.

The happy EMT calmly replied, 'That cat is the communist leader of China.' I felt a little relieved that my joke had been recieved, until the mad EMT lost his cool and was like, 'Well, who the hell knows that?' The happy EMT/Fire medic said, 'Everyone knows that! Even SHE knows that,' motioning in my direction. 'Give her the Dextrose!' somebody shouted. Then, 5 of them rushed me and I started struggling to get away when they pulled out the needle. There was one on each arm, but they barley had me. The calm, happy EMT/Fire guy was holding a clipboard, starting the report and said snidely, 'Do you need my help with that or can the five of you handle her?' I think he was so happy because he got to look smart in front of the attractive female officer that was in attendance.

Ahhh. Some people just aren't good at dealing with illness. Its a gift when people ARE, but most people are uncomfortable with it. Probably, they just don't having any analogous experience and can't relate to it.

Illness is a mysterious and scary thing for some people. My mom was never any good with it because it terrified her, she didn't understand it, and she probably always felt guilty, somehow, that I had it. I didn't even tell her about the epilepsy diagnosis. She'd sh** her pants. Its really nice to have a venue, like this, where we can speak openly and without all the complications that come from discussing illness with our immediate relatives.

I get it, though. My husband and I have had a handful of scary chronic illness scares this year, from friends and family. Cancer, stroke, bipolar, etc. Some of those situations I did a good job of providing support, but some I could have definitely done better.

OMG, now you crossed the line! *totally red faced* I wish we had emoticons here.

LOL!!!!!!!!
I wish I could see their faces at the time. I would give them a real hard time around town, if I saw them. I bet they were good looking, cause they were with Fire. Crazy, good-looking, bastards! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywaEVW8-TRk

Hey - it's my diaversary today too! 5 years. Happy Diaversary (as a good one is at least better than a bad one)!

I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago at age 14. Obviously marriage wasn't an issue then, but since I'm nearly 20 I've started to contemplate it. I recently got out of a 3 year relationship and my T1D was never a factor. My (ex) always found me attractive, even with the omnipod attached all the time. He liked to write down the funny things I said/did when I was low to tease me later. As for having kids, I have the same concerns as you, so I plan on adopting.

Please let's just stop:

Every time I click into TuD lately the newest thing is from one of Lana's discussion and the replies are being copied and pasted to Lana's blog. Lana has admitted being banned and removed from other sites, and for good reason imo. Nothing "sexy" going on here, just "SMARMY"!

I don't want to be part of your blog so please do not copy/paste my reply or anything of mine. I do not give permission to do so.

I come here to help and learn from TuD folks who have questions and learn from the experience of diabetics old and new.