How I found out I had Diabetes

Well, I am new to the group and wanted to give people the opportunity to find out a little bit about me, so I thought I would begin with how I found out I had this annoying disease.

I think it’s important that I start out by saying in September of 2010, after two years of trying to have a baby, my husband and I found out I was pregnant. We were over the moon! I was seven weeks pregnant when we found out the pregnancy was not viable. Devastated does not even begin to describe how we both felt.

As the month progressed, my appetite changed completely. I was not interested in eating meals, all I wanted was sugar.I would eat a dessert for dinner, breakfast would be chocolate milk and a pastry… I have always had a BIG sweet tooth, and thought it was probably just the depression of the miscarriage. I began losing weight, and again, thought the depression/miscarriage was to blame for that. The first week of November I could drink 32 oz of water in less than an hour and still be as thirsty as I don’t know what. My eyes were so dry, I was practically pouring eye drops in them around the clock. My vision became very blurry. I didn’t want to take chances with my vision, so I went to the doctor.

I have always been incredibly healthy. I have never taken any drugs that were not prescribed by a doctor. I haven’t even smoked a cigarette…I’m about as good as a person can be. After I told her what was going on, they wanted to do bloodwork, and guess what I had???

My glucose level was 478, my A1C was 8. I had diabetes. I was in absolute denial.

I have a strong grip on it now, but I’m still angry about it. I am trying to get control of my life again. I refuse to let this disease define who I am.

But that’s all I want to say about how I found out I have it. I despise it, I wish I were a genius and were able to cure it for all of us.

Life is completely different now.

8 is pretty good for a DX A1C! I think I was 13 or something like that? Admittedly it was 1984. I’m sorry to hear about your loss though. That is very hard. I know some people w/ D who’ve had or are in the midst of having kids so keep trying. Oh wait. I’m not sure if we are supposed to say stuff like that? Oh well, you know what I mean?

Hey, thanks acidrock23! here I was thinking 8 was terrible, and you make me feel ALOT better by comparison with your 13! =)

Right now, not having kids is a major concern for me. Since we were having trouble, I was open to adoption, but my husband wasn’t sure. It seems that he has come around, so who knows what the future holds for us! No matter what, I’ll take your advice and keep trying! =)