How long have you been pumping?

So, I have been pumping for 16 months now. I have been a diabetic for 22 years, so pumping has been a huge change for me. But a totally wonderful change. How long have you been pumping? How long were you a diabetic before you started pumping?

Let’s see. I have been diabetic since 1996. Dx as T2. Then when we started having children I went on insulin during the first pregnancy and was taking a whopping 1200+ units a day by syringe. Then with my second baby very shortly after the first birth…LOL…They put me on the MM507c, the insurance company rented it on a daily basis and also had me with a company called Matria out of Atlanta that worked with me daily. This was in 1999. The insurance company was spending about $100 a day for my pump so they decided to buy me one and then I got the MM508. I am now on an Animas IR1000 and HATE it! The only reason the doc prescribed this one is because it has a 300u cartridge. I want a Cozmo in the worst way! So I have been pumping for 8 years now. I was diagnosed as a T1 and was told my pancreas had shut down or was barely spitting out any insulin so maybe like a T1.5 (will find out in October for sure). This happened after I had a stroke in April of 2006 and this is what happened.

I have had diabetes for almost 10 yrs and been pumping for since May 2007. I LOVE IT! My BG’s are SO GREAT and my A1C is unbelievable! I use the Minimed Paradigm 722. Although I kind of want to try the new Animas 2020

I have had diabetes for 33 years and on the pump for about 10 years

I have been Type I since May of 1996, so 11 years now. I’ve been pumping since September of 2006. I use an Animas IR1250 & I really like it. I’ve had some minor problems & just recently switched from using Insets to using Comforts which seems to help alot. I went from taking about 150 units a day down to taking 40-80 (depending on the day & my cycle).

I have been pumping since 2000… I have been a Diabetic 15 years… I love the insulin pump… Wouldn’t live without it! From 2000-2004 I had the D-Tron insulin pump and it qiut without warning 9 times… So I decided for a change so 2005 I changed insulin pump to a 515 MM Paradigm… Haven’t had any problems with it…

Erin I was diagnosed around the same time as you. I take alot of insulin too…I wish I could get mine down to less than 100 a day too. I just had to adjust my basal rate today b/c I can’t get in to see the new dr. until the 9th and my sugars are dropping into the 50s and 60s around mid morning since I started working full time.

I just made 8 years as a Type1 diabetic on 9/9/2007. i was a bad teenage depressed diabetic in denial for all those years. i just started understanding how to better take care of myself recently in January '07 since discovering diabetes support groups online on Myspace… and I’ve been trying hard… I recently just got myself a brand new Minimed 722 pump… MY FIRST PUMP!, I got it on 8/15/2007, so it’s been only a month and a half of pumping fo me. I can’t believe how wonderfull pumping is!!! my doctor tried to get me to try a pump about 4 years ago and i was like heck NO!, eh… if only i had known. the thing i love the most about my pump is that since it’s attatched to me, I never forget my “shots” anymore like i used to all the time, and the pump always reminds me automatically to check my BG before i bolus for a meal. i used to only check my BG’s like once a day… well actually more like 3-5 times a week if i ever remembered… i look back now and am appauled at myself. Let’s just say it has made a fabulously huge improvement for me. I should have done this So much sooner. but i guess I had to learn, …and i had to be ready for it. Yay for pumping, and yay for coming out of that dirty river.

I am currently on my 3rd pump, so I think I’ve been on one about 11 years or so now. The first two were Minimeds, and now I wear an Animas IR1200. I am not as pleased with Animas’ customer service, nor their pumps. I think I’ll go back to Minimed next time around. I am really hoping to get a CGM, but my insurance doesn’t agree…

I been pumping for One month now. I love it. Really wish I made the switch a lot sooner. I was diagnosed at 9, so did 13 years of MDI i believe. For some reason cant do the math today.

I was diagnosed in February 97… I’ve been pumping since February of 2006… It has really made the quality of my life better! I’d like to try the Continuous Glucose Monitoring along with the pump, but I’m waiting for the insurance companies to cover the supplies…

I’ve been diabetic for 10 years (since I was 13). I’ve been pumping for 8 days now. I have an Animas 2020 & its awesome. I just learned yesterday about the ezCard and ezBG… & Combo Bolus! Going very well…

Diabetic since 1989. T1 - caused by a viral infection. Multiple injections since inception. Just started the pump 3 weeks ago. CozMore 1800 and I love it. The last couple of months on injections I was whipping back and forth between 30 and 350. There didn’t seem to be any middle ground. After all the years of good control I could not fine the sweet spot again. A few months of trying I asked my endo about the pump - we had the life style change talk. Insurance carrier approved the pump and here I am. I am looking forward to the experience and wisdom in this group as I start the journey.

Thank you all in advance.

Diabetic since 1989. T1 - caused by a viral infection. Multiple injections since inception. Just started the pump 3 weeks ago. CozMore 1800 and I love it. The last couple of months on injections I was whipping back and forth between 30 and 350. There didn’t seem to be any middle ground. After all the years of good control I could not fine the sweet spot again. A few months of trying I asked my endo about the pump - we had the life style change talk. Insurance carrier approved the pump and here I am. I am looking forward to the experience and wisdom in this group as I start the journey.

I have been pumping for 7 years now after dealing with 35 years of injections. Yes, that’s right 42 years of excitement. I got a pump after my wife decided she knew the local paramedics by name (3 hypoglycemic episodes within 12 months!!) and wasn’t very thrilled by that. It has made a big difference. The variations in blood sugar still come and go but not to the previous extremes. I started with a MM 508C and have moved through the updates to the current 522. Insurance has been a blessing and paid for most of the cost. The freedom and flexibility has been the best feature of pumping.

Hi T1 for 26yrs and Pumping for 2.5 days on Medtronic 722 and GCM - so far its good or great even the fact that I went to bed for the first time on tuesday without eating or taking an injection for 26yrs was Great!!!

Hi Cara! I’ve been a pumper for 8 years and love it. I have lived with Diabetes for 48 years. After 40 years of shots I was due for a change and what a wonderful change. I have seen the management of D come out of the shadows and evolve into the light. Although there is no cure management has gotten so much better since the dark ages.

I know how he feels I refer to pump as my exterior Pancreas. If he doesn’t rotate he will soon see bad readings…remind him of this.

Hy Chad,
I’ve had diabetes for 37 years and feel great. I’ve been using the Animas 2020 insulin pump and I am very happy since my latest A1C results was 6.0. I’ve always wondered if there are other people like me who have diabetes for more than 30 years. Do you have any complications?