How often are Dexcom G6 users getting signal loss per day with iPhone?

@mohe0001 Yes! Now that you mention it, I haven’t had any spontaneous signal losses in a month or so. I have been using the 81 series transmitter since 9/26… It may be the new transmitter, I’m not sure.

Do you remember which transmitter type you had before that?

Dexcom did server updates that caused some people to loose connectivity for a little bit. But, maybe that helped improve things.

iPhone was working on its blue tooth and was said to improve things in recent updates. That might have helped.

I figured out one issue on my end. But, it wont have affected you.

I have the same problem as the original post. I’m pretty much ready to go back to the freestyle, as our two months on the Dexcom have been the worst since my daughter was diagnosed 11 years ago. This product has way too many flaws for a sensitive medical device. The only way I get it to work is to turn Bluetooth off and on, hit the share button, then go back in and wait a few minutes for the readings to come back. The freestyle is much simpler. And it’s completely unreliable if you are expecting it to give you low blood sugar alarms overnight and it goes out. I’d rather wake up and wave the freestyle sensor over her arm. This has been far from providing the peace of mind and freedom that it advertises.

@tjk I used the Freestyle Libre before the Dexcom. And I actually even wore them at the same time at first to compare. I found pluses and minuses to both. They kind of scored even points. But the Dexcom did win out for me because

1. The ability to calibrate, as I was used to figuring out how off my Libre was and automatically adding points. But the Dexcom was definitely more accurate.
  2. Because of the alarms, now you can add a Miao Miao to the Libre (maybe not the new ones?, I’m not sure right now?), but I hadn’t bothered to order a Miao Miao and the Dexcom comes with it.

I wear the Dexcom and I really wouldn’t want to go back to the Libre. But I did just get a 14 day Libre for my dog and she’s wearing it. And immediately thought I wish I had a Dexcom for her!!! The expense and the fact she probably won’t keep it on and I will stay and accept the much more inexpensive LIbre.

But last night she decided to drop, I don’t think she actually dropped, I think it was adjusting to her levels and she was on the lower side anyway. She was 85 at her normal testing time, which I prefer her to be at least at a 100, but not a biggy. But I remember thinking if she keeps dropping I wish I had an alarm, with the Libre except for checking in the middle of the night there is no chance of an alarm.

That really is a biggy, but I understand if you are checking for her level and you can’t get a signal, what good is it at all? But with the Libre there is no chance of an alarm in the first place. If the Miao Miao works on a new Libre maybe that is your preferred route. Or maybe there is something else that will help convert it?

I’m still on a Dexcom G5 but thought I’d mention something that has reduced my transmitter dropouts almost entirely (using an iPhone).

Each Dexcom Tx you use creates a unique Bluetooth entry on your iPhone (check Bluetooth in settings and see all the different Dexcom entries you have).

Delete the Tx setting for expired transmitters once you begin using a new one. The last 2 digits of your Dexcom Tx are the numbers / letters that appear after the word Dexcom on your phone.

1 Like

I have had the G6 for 2 weeks, my phone is always on me. I am experiencing 2-6 signal loss events daily lasting between 30-90 minutes. Any ideas on whats going on here? for the price this should be bullet proof…

1 Like

I am experiencing this as well. It may be the apple phone…mine is older, a 6. It could be the IOS, I do upgrade each time. I have been extremely frustrated with this - I thought i was the only one. Any progress?

15+ times, when i access app…the better way to state it is I actually get a reading 2x a day. I just got one after resetting bluetooth and then I lost signal within 10 min of it. I cannot keep up with it. Setting up the receiver next, though that’s going backwards in terms of technology.

I probably get signal loss 4-5 times a week, something like that. But if I switch BT of and back on again it always reconnects at the next sensor reading, i.e., ~5min or less. I do find there’s a lot of BT interference in my apartment; my BT headphones can be flaky at home but they’re fine when I’m out and about.

I wonder if that’s the big difference for signal loss, because I just hardly ever get a lost signal. I live in the suburbs in a single family home and there aren’t any businesses around for miles.

@tjk, I have been a Dexcom CGM user for over a decade. I am also considering a change to Libre.

There is no question that ios13 is involved in many errors. This has been reported extensively by diabetics. I have not upgraded yet. I still have problems. There are other factors at play, as well. Transmitters have a lot more variety now than they used to. Devices have become more complex, which leads to more failures.

@mohe0001 I wouldn’t change until Libre finally comes out with alerts? I don’t know if you remember but I did a comparison between the two and wore both at the same time. I was new to Dexcom at the time so the alerts were more annoying and I had been used to the Libre being “off” and adjusting for it. I have the Libre on my dog right now.

But after being on the Dexcom I wouldn’t go back to the Libre easily, not saying I wouldn’t. I think if I had to pay for the Dexcom sensors Libre would be looking pretty good. But the alerts are so helpful in catching things going on before they actually do? So it really helps stop those highs and lows and gives you a little more wiggle room on dosing. I also used to overlap and wear 2 Libres so I could judge how “off” the new one was besides some fingersticks. And then I would add that “off” to my numbers and dose. Because you can’t calibrate it, it is off. I did find it usually was off by about the same amount all the time, whether it was 10 points or 20 points.

You can maybe add on a Miao Miao? for alerts though. I’m not sure what is working on the Libres right now.

Of course, I haven’t been annoyed by my Dexcom yet. Mine seems to behave! Of course I have been restarting mine which helps! Crossing my fingers on that!

1 Like

Both Blucon and MiaoMiao have recently come out with second generation transmitters for Libre that work with U.S. 14 day sensors.

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

As noted on another post , I’ve noticed that in the last 24-36 hours of sensor life , I start to get sensor failure messages. This has happed on my last three sensor and doesn’t seem to be Bluetooth related.

Quick comment on iOS 13: I’ve been using my iPhone 8 with iOS 13.6 since I started with Dexcom and t:slim in February, and the only time I suffer communication problems is when I have my phone on a charger in my office and go into the bathroom for quite a few minutes, about 12 yards and 4+ walls away. Otherwise it’s reliable.
I can see Dexcom data on my pump, my iPhone, or my Apple Watch (Receiver? Who needs a receiver?!). So convenient!

I have better Bluetooth connection with my 7+ then the deccom Rx. Issue I have with both and it’s happened now three times is I get an ongoing on/off sensor failure message for a day before normal shut down.

My G6 will say no signal all day and when it does finally connect it will show data for all day.

Katie. If it’s just signal loss and not sensor failure. Your issues is with Blue Tooth. I have found my IPhone 7+ Has a slightly greater range then the Dexcom Meter. So I carry both with me. One in one pocket and the other in the other.
Lately I discovered that Fit Bit has Dexcom CGM faces these are available for the Versa series of the watch.
So now I have 3 sources of readings .

Mine craps out all the time. But my g6 never loses connection to my tslim. Unless I have my pump under me while sleeping.
I think the issue is with the dexcom ap. I clear it but turning Bluetooth off and on again on my phone and then it connects.
I have a similar issue with the t connect ap. I have to refresh it a few times to get it to upload.