How often do you eat stuff that isn't nutritious?

I have figured out what foods don't spike me, and in what measures, and I'm good with keeping to those portion sizes. So, for example, I can tolerate 1/2 cup of ice cream without any problem, or a cup of sugar-free pudding. I exercise often and I'm not having any trouble keeping my overall daily intake in a good calorie range. But what I wonder is, how often is it OK to have something that has little nutritive value? Once a day? Once a week? Do other people not think about these things? There are probably people out there who think that Type 2 diabetics should never be allowed to eat anything that tastes good, maybe that plays into my puritanism.

What is your philosophy on tasty food?

Life is short, Frances – if you can get away with having a treat, as long as it doesn’t wreak havoc on your health, have it! That’s my philosophy. Do what you have to do to enjoy life as much as possible, but also make every attempt not to harm yourself or others in the process. There’s a way to achieve a balance, if you have faith, hope and charity.

On puritanism – I could easily sway that way and did more so when I was younger. However, being pure and puritanistic (if there is such a word) are two different things. One is positive, innocent, joyous, natural; the other is negative, restrictive and ultimately points to guilt and self-loathing as a motivation. Better to go with the first way to grow and thrive.

Sorry but when you said the word philosophy, I got inspired. :slight_smile:

Well, in the famous words of Former Pres. Bill Clinton…
It all Depends on what you would call Not Nutrious? LOL
Some Orthodoxed vegitairians may call things others eat as N, Not N.
Ice Cream has some N. Value, Yogurt for example
Pudding has Vitamins in it

For me? I just stay away from 'Heavy Carbs" that take alot longer to digest and Spike My BG’s after 3 hrs of Bolusing… Like Brownies, Alot of other Bakery Goods… Although Choc Eclairs are ok…
Rice is another and some Pizza’s…

In lieu of having a Junk Food Attack? I go to my nearest McD’s and have a hot Fudge Sundae for A Buck… I may take 5 units ( at 12-1) for 60 carbs, but My novalog handles it in the ave 3 hr Timeframe is last…

but for a T2? Not taking Bolus Insulin? It’s tougher. I would think, anything that Doesn’t Cause a Spike In BG’s and if weight is an issue, doesn’t cause or have alot of empty calories to add fat…

Some can go have a HF sundae at McD’s and then go take a 3 mi walk and walk it off… i used to Walk upot a Diary queen ( about 2 miles) and the have a cone and walk back and not need any insulin…

And I can have 4 gumdrops, go swimming and not need insulin either…
I used to get away with telling my wife , we can go eat Pizza, if she will get “lucky” with me afterwards, so I don’t have to take the Insulin… Now she just tells me to take enough insulin… :wink:

Hee! :slight_smile:

If a food doesn’t send you high, then eat what you want when you want. I admire your willpower with 1/2 cup of ice cream. Test a lot & set your goals.

My philosophy, & I’m not puritanical at all, is that no food is worth getting high BG to me on a regular basis.

Doesn’t matter what other people think you should eat. It only matters what you think & feel.

Well, I started to write my response here - then thought - what the heck - post a blog about it a Diabetes1.org - you can read my response there (along with some pretty artwork for Lee Ann Thill’s Diabetic Artwork Day next Wednesday)… so Pop Goes The World (Fluff is involved in my response to your discussion).

Off to test my blood sugars now :slight_smile:

Im a type 2, have maintained an A1C of 6 and below and presently have a normal weight…and enjoys the “so-called forbidden” foods here and there. once in awhile. I can take as much as about 140-150 grams of carb a day…doing my normal routine of activities and exercises.I love to cook, love food…and do indulge myself with a piece of cake, ice cream, Chinese dish once in awhile. Personally, I practice moderation, some self discipline. I test myself often when I “indulge”, often I exercise more. So far, it has worked for me…

I have diabetes, I have to put up with some real cr*p. But I’m not going to make my life devoid of joy and happiness. I like to eat, it is one of the pleasures in life. I like to eat food that tastes good and leaves me satisfied. And so I eat lots of things that I like, that aren’t necessarily the best source of nutrition. Do I avoid things that are bad for me? Sure. I obviously don’t eat foods with high carb contents. I don’t eat transfats. But do I eat ice cream? Sure. In fact, I make my own ice cream from whole cream and eggs from a custard base. Much better than store bought.

I didn’t get diabetes from eating tasty food and it is just logically wrong to punish yourself by denying some measured enjoyment of lifes pleasures.

Agreed! That ice cream you make sounds good…mmmmm!

I eat what I want, and I enjoy it. But I don’t overdo it. All in moderation. If I don’t allow myself some “junk” once in a while I’ll binge on it eventually. I know how I am. Life is too short to not enjoy your food

Basic “Real” Ice Cream

4 eggs
2 c full cream
1/2 c splenda (not baking splenda)
2 tsp vanilla extract

On a stove, slowly heat cream until it just begins to simmer, remove from heat. Beat eggs and add slowly to cream whisking to mix it in. Put back on low heat and bring up temperature until it reaches about 165-180 deg F. This should thicken and make a rich custard. Don’t overheat or overcook. If it boils, it is hosed.

Remove from heat, add any flavorings and splenda.

Put custard in refrigerator until it is totally cooled down (sometimes I rush it in the freezer). Please the custard in your ice cream maker and let it crank.

Makes 4, 1/2c servings, 11g fat, 4 g carbs, 6.5 g protein

I eat pretty much whatever I want up to about 60 carbs and just bolus for it. I have rice or pizza or like small ice cream and my blood sugars are like 120-130 after. I am still probably honeymooning though. My most recent A1C was 5.5 down from 8.5 at diagnosis of T1

Oh wow, thanks for posting this bsc! I shall have to try!

Oh, oh, oh - am drolling over my keyboard here. I actually just got a package delivered from Canadian Living - won this Ice Cream package on Twitter (shock of all shocks - I never win anything). Here’s a pic of some of the goodies that were in the box (heavy) that was delivered by Purolator this morning

I have recently cut off all “sugar free” products as a test and notice I get my BG down faster than I used to as a T-2. My pancreas has pretty lousy response to the sugar free stuff overall. I am finding this even after loosing a huge amount of weight over the last year. Eating the Dr B way I am getting great control on my numbers and I dont feel its a IR thing very much. Sugar free is a no-no with Dr B.

I think one is just stressing the pancreas with the sugar free stuff. The only thing I have found that works for me is the Atkins bars. Kinda spendy though, even at Wallyworld. I have a couple of bars now about 3-4 times a month.

We’ve had this type of discussions before on TuDiabetes and they always leave me scratching my head a bit. I personally feel there are flaws with both the “eat whatever you want and bolus for it” school of diabetes (weight gain, develop IR, and the “law of small numbers”) and the puritanical/deprive myself/eat flax seed and celery sticks school (You are miserable and eventually will binge out on junk out of feelings of deprivation).

What I don’t understand is thinking you can’t also enjoy food that is nutritious! I admit I have a lot of time to devote to cooking, and sufficient money to buy specialty food (or I choose to spend the money I do have on good food!). I also live in a place that values local fresh foods and selling them at a reasonable price (I live walking distance to possibly the best grocery store in the world…Berkeley Bowl). But having said all that I don’t classify foods as nutritious and boring, or tasty and bad for me. I completely enjoy each and every meal I eat while still eating fairly healthy and moderate low carb (under 100 a day).

I can check off a bunch of those things you do, except time. I shop at night due to time constraints and cook when I have time & freeze. Ive got all the “healthy” as well as German and Japanese grocery stores fairly local. I purchase good ingredients to make good food.

However, for my “Im not eating to save my life” food, its low carb snacks. I eat baby cookies @ 3c each (ive got a 3 year old excuse!). Or 1/2 bag of smart puffs @8c so there is things that I can still enjoy that arent terrible for me. Funny Im giving more carbs up slowly though so these might will get replaced with something creative eventually.

I think Alice recently said it best “Keep living an interesting life so that you really WANT to live. Everything else will fall into place.”

I treated myself to an ice cream waffle cone maker this summer. I am gluten intolerant as well as LADA and now I make fabulous waffle cones out of almond flour. Just the thing for home made ice cream! There’s about 3g carbs per cone.