How ticked off would you be?

I feel for this young lady. Hopefully her college will own up to their mistake.

Student’s Fridge Holding Insulin Gets Unplugged Over Holiday (dailydot.com)

This whole thing is Sus in my opinion. First of all why does she have so many vials of insulin. There is no way that is 30 days worth or even 3 months worth for a young woman. And did she buy that all out of pocket? For it to be 4000 dollars worth.

And you can leave unopened insulin at room temperature for many months
When I was in college I kept my insulin in a drawer. I usually had 3 bottles at a time maybe 6 if I was getting extra.27 is just weird, and to leave all that in her dorm in a fridge is kind of batty. I never used one because I know they tend to freeze stuff, because the temp regulation is not so great

Then someone unplugging it, without looking inside.
nothing about this story makes any sense at all.

It reminds me of watching tv shows or movies with a diabetic sub theme, where you can tell no diabetics were involved in the writing because the situations are too far out of real life.

6 Likes

Yes the whole plot seems bizarre. They don’t say how long the Thanksgiving break was but if the fridge was only unplugged for 4, 5, 6, 7 days the insulin probably still is fine. It would be interesting if there is a follow up describing how they test all those 27 vials to determine if there is any degradation.

And just about anybody who went to the trouble to stockpile 27 vials would normally be more protective of that stash and would not just leave it with a post it note.

2 Likes

If I were her dad, I would not be ticked off at the school, I would be ticked off at my daughter for watching and posting TikTok videos when she should be studying. :grimacing:

5 Likes

No sympathy for the victim here. Every diabetic needs to learn to be proactive, expect the unexpected, and have a plan in advance for these situations. I hope she learned a valuable lesson at an early age and will act more responsibly in the future. Unfortunately, in today’s culture, with a large % of the population blaming everyone else for their shortcomings, she may not see solving this proactively as her responsibility.

In the long run, only she will suffer the consequences, over and over again until she realizes the world does not revolve around her.

If this happened to me, I would be ticked off, yes. Ticked off at me for being so stupid, I would ensure that it would never happen again.

2 Likes

Someone should warn her not to stockpile that much insulin in a mini fridge because bottles are gonna freeze, re-melt, and she wont even know until she uses it and gets really sick. Mini fridges are unreliable and she is really betting the farm on it.

She’s young - she’s gonna learn the terrible tragedy of minifridges the hard way.

I do empathize for her, in that, she’s not gonna have control over her physical space until she owns a home or has her own apartment. That makes diabetes harder. Communal living is not great. College kids steal syringes, use them, and then put them back in your purse so you don’t notice… and all kinds of horrible things.

2 Likes

I have to agree with the other commenters - this is all a bit odd. Why would she have 27 bottles of insulin, and why would she leave them in her college dorm? Also… as far as I know, most universities do not give Thanksgiving week off. The most she would have off would be 5 days (Wed. - Sun.)… and her insulin would have been fine in that short amount of time.

1 Like

I never put my insulin in my fridge when I was in college. It was always too full of beer to fit anything else.

2 Likes

Even at that point, there will be several times in life when she will not be in control of her physical space. Think, in an airplane, a hotel, a retreat, a business meeting, a friend’s house, a ship, or even her car should she have a flat tire or other breakdowns. The more we do in life, the more these and many other situations beyond our control creep up on us at the most inopportune time. We must always be prepared with our diabetic supplies and plan for the inevitable because even the best plans fail from time to time.

1 Like

And the dog ate my homework!

2 Likes

This story is impossible to verify which leads me to think it is manufactured outrage designed to get people’s bowels in an uproar. To much insulin, added to what she was carrying.

27 + 1 vials of insulin is just over the top. If real and at a cost of $4,000 I would think that there would be a lawsuit filed, at least in small claims court.

I just don’t buy it sosasammy28.

2 Likes

Gary, I do not have sympathy for all the reasons stated by others. But also for one very clear reason. No one is supposed to leave a perishable product in a dorm room over a break. Let alone $4K of insulin.

Lets say it is UniX and they have 10K students in dorms, or even 25 in dorms. They cannot be held responsible for making sure all refrigerated products stay refrigerated. It is not fair to blame UniX. Did a roommate do it? Power outage? a tripped circuit breaker?

I am sorry but if it is that important she needed to take it home, doctor office, or an off campus apartment of a friend. A responsible person does not leave a life saving medical product to the whims of an empty dorm room.

5 Likes

We are in the diabetes army, @CJ114. :joy: This is me throwing a juice box at you like a grenade. I’m going AWOL!

1 Like

I have a very hard time understanding the size of that insulin stash. It’s far beyond what a PWT1D should need in a 90 day period, more than I use by pump in a year, and I’m not small.

Also, call me paranoid, but If I lived where others I didn’t know had keys and could legally enter in my absense, there’s no way that I’d ever keep $4000 of ANYTHING in that room that wasn’t 100% covered by insurance.

1 Like

That reminds me of when I was testing experimental integrated circuit chips to mil spec. They were worth 10 of thousands of dollars in 1972 or 3. We keep the room where our desk were, not because of the chips but the cleaning people would help themselves to our gum, candy and loose change.

I know this is off topic, but it’s a fun memory.

I remember those days. We had a staff electrician called sparky who plugged them into test bays and a couple of times he brushed up against them with his tool belt and poof, that was the end of that board. After a couple of those episodes he had to be retired.

Later when I was working as a telephony central office tech someone ran a buffer on the wire side of a row of equipment bays. The buffer pad slid up on the lower file bakeplane bending hundreds of pins over. It was a real nightmare. They contract cleaner crew was fired to be replaced by us technicians.

1 Like

I had a job on a cleaning crew for a while in college. We would go to the offices of an engineering company at night and vacuum etc. I can still remember wandering around in there late at night with all the drawings for a nuclear plant laid out everywhere…and this was during the height of the No Nukes movement, shortly before Three Mile Island.

1 Like