How to restart Dexcom G6 sensors

@MM1
What happened to me a few times is I would calibrate one and if it is a very far off number, it sometimes would want another calibration. But there is a time difference of when the two different items in giving a new reading. My phone lags behind the reader about a 15-30 seconds (I have no idea why) So what will happen is one will pop up with a calibration request after a certain time, then the other will pop up with a different time request. I can wait for the later time to calibrate but more often than not they both start requesting separately. And once it happens it wants it lol and you can’t just turn it off. It’s just stops that process if one is turned off before a calibration or at least by the second one.

But the other thing that happened a couple of times in restarting, is one of my items, reader or iphone picked up on the restarting process and I had to shut one in the microwave to restart my sensor successfully. When he said he had to do that it reminded me of that happening to me last year. But I always stop sensor on both and then turn the reader off now.

1 Like

Thanks… what is dme?

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to read through them. I am still on my last g5 transmitter and I will have to figure this out before I start the g6.

I am kinda nervous about the whole thing because dex is so inaccurate for me that I have to have calibration I cannot rely on it alone with no calibration, and certainly not without fingersticks as well

And I remember my CDE said that you can calibrate G6 if you want to. I have managed to build up a backlog of six of the new sensors now, I may even have more when this transmitter runs out so if I have trouble with the sensors I will not have to be worrying about can I get another one in time etc.

I have been having a lot more irritation so I am concerned about leaving it on for 10 days though.

This sensor I am on now is really awful at times the first day it told me blood sugar is 289 when I woke up I think, I thought I was going to have to be heading to the hospital and I was kind of groggy so I could not tell from my symptoms if that could be right or not , but it was really 140, talk about inaccuracy. And that was only one of several terrible numbers over a three day period.

DME
Durable medical equipment

Related to insurance coverage, most policies have rules regarding how covered. Sometimes items can be ordered through pharmacy, some through medical supply companies.
Dexcom, bg meters, pumps, etc. for example.

1 Like

Ok, So you mean if I find one I can get a covered on my insurance maybe OK I’m gonna call around and see if anybody has any and then I will ask my insurance. It looks like I may not have as many leftover as I had anticipated but it would be great if I could use all of them off. And then have a stash of the new ones.

Most insurance plans have online site to check pharmacy formulary, for current year. Check that and search for dexcom.

If your insurance only covers as DME, its often harder to track down which supplier will cover and ship. Prices may be different compared to pharmacy benefit.

Not so difficult, in my experience. You just have the company of choice do a benefits check (i.e. Dexcom, Abbott, etc…), and they’ll transfer you to your insurance’s preferred DME provider.

1 Like

Mine is covered under rx, but I wonder if they will pay for one now that they paid for g6, maybe not.

Okay, it really helps when you restart a sensor to remember to put the transmitter back into the sensor…lol

Error message of sensor failure, say what??? Okay I’ll try again because that’s odd. Go to take out the transmitter and it wasn’t there, I forgot to put it back into the sensor!
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: